Formatting a Presario 5660

I'm getting ready to upgrade the memory in a Presario 5660 from 128 to
384.
The system hasn't been formatted since it was purchased in December
1998.
The system has Win98 on it now, but I will be upgrading it to XP. I
will
upgrade the BIOS, then format everything.

I've formatted quite a few systems so I'm familiar with the process.
However, I've read that some Compaqs have a separate partition for
technical
data. IF this Compaq partition exists on my system will it cause any
problems if I delete it?

I just need confirmation from other Compaq folks who have dealt with
formatting and the "Compaq partition" before. Don't want to loose
something critical. I've dealt with this on Dell machines before, and
I've been able
to safely delete the Dell partition, then format and install as usual.

Thanks,
Tracy

Pretty much the same machine as my 5600. No setup partition on the hard
drive. With the latest BIOS will accept 256MB single density DIMMs for a
total of 768MB.

Tom
"Tracy" <muppettracy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting ready to upgrade the memory in a Presario 5660 from 128 to
> 384.
> The system hasn't been formatted since it was purchased in December
> 1998.
> The system has Win98 on it now, but I will be upgrading it to XP. I
> will
> upgrade the BIOS, then format everything.
>
> I've formatted quite a few systems so I'm familiar with the process.
> However, I've read that some Compaqs have a separate partition for
> technical
> data. IF this Compaq partition exists on my system will it cause any
> problems if I delete it?
>
> I just need confirmation from other Compaq folks who have dealt with
> formatting and the "Compaq partition" before. Don't want to loose
> something critical. I've dealt with this on Dell machines before, and
> I've been able
> to safely delete the Dell partition, then format and install as usual.
>
> Thanks,
> Tracy

"Tracy" <muppettracy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting ready to upgrade the memory in a Presario 5660 from
> 384.
> The system hasn't been formatted since it was purchased in
> December
> 1998.
> The system has Win98 on it now, but I will be upgrading it to XP.
> will
> upgrade the BIOS, then format everything.
>
> I've formatted quite a few systems so I'm familiar with the
> process.
> However, I've read that some Compaqs have a separate partition for
> technical
> data. IF this Compaq partition exists on my system will it cause
> any
> problems if I delete it?
>
> I just need confirmation from other Compaq folks who have dealt
> with
> formatting and the "Compaq partition" before. Don't want to loose
> something critical. I've dealt with this on Dell machines before,
> and
> I've been able
> to safely delete the Dell partition, then format and install as
> usual.
>
> Thanks,
> Tracy

You format partitions not entire physical drives. If you format a
single partition, the other partition is not affected. If you want
to use programs which you used with Windows 98, make sure that you
have the installation disks and backup any data files you want to
keep BEFORE you start the format. Backup to media and with backup
programs which can be accessed with Windows XP as well as Windows
98.

--
Earl F. Parrish

TRENDING THREADS