HOLY QUIET CPU FAN!!!

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Fellas,

I am truly at a loss for words. This is a good day. I recently ordered the 60mm Thermaltake cpu fan rated at 31cfm and 28db to try and get rid of my Delta fan without a huge drop in temps with my 1gig 'C' at 133x9 and 1.75v.

So it arrives today, and with a realworld increase in idle (idle, for me, means a couple explorer windows up, yahoo messenger, you know surfing the net.) of about 3C, I am impressed.

And the best part, I can only hear my case fans, 4 cheapo 80mm antecs. And I can actually hear my HD now. This is wonderful, no more high pitched squeal for me. Thermaltake has finally made a product worht buying.

Not like I'm a guru, but this definately has my seal of approval, and anyone who is only mildly overclocking and wants a quiet but effecient cpu fan, should definately consider the Thermaltake 60mm version.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

G

Well, I dont know about you guys but I JUST got my Delta installed on my Gladiator about 15 minutes ago. You see, I accidentally got a screwdriver in proximity of the original fan on the Gladiator when it was at full speed. Needless to say I needed a replacement. I also intend to get my 1.4 tbird to 1.6.(sidenote: any help would be apprieciated). In my opinion, the stock fan on the gladiator was just as loud as the Delta. In fact, the Delta seems a bit less "whooshy". I cant hear the air moving like the Gladiator fan, but there is a barely audible whine, which is most peoples complaint. After being horrified that I was going to hate this fan, it turns out I love it. When I powered on my system I was waiting for this banshee like wailing, and I actually had to take the case panel off to see if it was running! When hooked to the board (some people say this is not safe?!?!) it was ultra quiet, then I hooked it to a 3 to 4 pin connector and it sped up a bit and got that little whine to it. My results? Well Gladiator with stock fan was running 43 idle and 48 loaded. In the interim between trashing the stock fan and getting my new delta, I was using a thin (60 x 15 stock from an AMD OEM heatsink) Delta and idled at 45 with loaded temps (hours of SETI@home and UT) of 50 - 51. The new delta idles at 39-40 and loads (only 10 minutes on SETI) at 42 degrees! I also have a copper shim and OCZ quicksilver paste (next week im getting AS2).My system has yet to see 43 degrees with this new fan. Relevant issues to noise control include my case (Antec SX1030B SOHO) and case fans (2x Antec stockers in the rear, 1 compUSA special in the front and a 36 CFM Sunon blowing my RAID setup). Hell, I hate that damn GeForce3 fan more than my Delta!! Welp, thats all for me, my overclocking testing will begin shortly now that I have efficient cooling. Stay tuned!

<font color=purple><b>Its not easy being purple</b></font color=purple>
<font color=green><b>AMD</b></font color=green>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I use an Alpha Pal6035, This thermaltake fan is very quiet. I havn't tested the load temps yet, but it idles at roughtly 2-5C higher than with a delta fan. I'm running my gig athlon 'C' at 133x9 for 1200 at 1.75v and I get about 32-35C at idle. Like I said, it's amazing that I can now actually hear my hard drive. LOL, now I have to get one of those HD quiet sleeves. then maybe It will be silent, upgrade to 3 92mm quiet case fans instead of 4 noisy 80mm. Then It will be silent and cool.

OmegaX

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
I would appreciate it if you gave us link so that I can see the fan or gave us the model. I am also using the AlphaPAL6035 with a Delta Fan, but the noise is driving me crazy. Thanks.

My System: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417</A>

HarleyMYK

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001
Well, I just put my stock AMD wimpy fan on my Gladiator, and now I need a quieter case fan. CPU is around 44C. It is pretty hot in my office - probably over 80F - case is 30C. I think I will try this and see if I can still overclock to 1339 with my 1200 and not get too hot.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I got it from www.so-trickcomputers.com

I also picked up a couple of rounded ATA cables.

TRENDING THREADS