Microsoft Battles Apple for App Store Trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tburns1[/nom]Doesn't Microsoft trademark "Windows"?I look outside every day.[/citation]
Windows is not a generic term for an Operating System, App Store is about as generic as you can get when referring to a store that sells apps...

When you say Windows when talking about computers you are talking about the Microsoft product, when you say App Store when talking about computers it could mean Amazon App Store, Apple App Store, Google Market, Cydia, or any of the many other stores that sells apps, that is the difference.

Apple is trying to trademark a highly generic term to stop other companies from using the same generic and widely used term. If Microsoft were to try to trademark "Operating System" then you would have the same situation happening.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Considering app is just short for application and many people in tech circles have been calling software programs apps for years the term shouldn't be trade marked.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]@Camikazi "Shutdown" is about as generic as you can get, too.[/citation]
Not what we are talking about and that one would be about as bad to trademark as app store although not as bad since they can make a distinction between Shut-down and shutdown to trademark one.

injected_metal

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
@LuckyDucky7
Microsoft didn't get a trademark on the term "Shut Down" they patented a process of how an OS should respond to a command to shut down. A list of steps breaking down the operation of a piece of software isn't as generic as commonly used words.

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
The objections have been filed by a company that owns the trademark "Windows"
No, they absolutely do not. Microsoft has a trademark on "Microsoft Windows," completely different from just "windows".

Way to take a completely unnecessary snipe at Microsoft there.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Windows is not a generic term for an Operating System, App Store is about as generic as you can get when referring to a store that sells apps...[/citation]

Windows - A resource manager using windows
App Store - A store that sells apps

This whole concept is very very subjective. You can make a good argument, so can I. Same goes for the Apple v MSFT lawyers.

The more important point here is to recognize how hypocritical MSFT is acting. It's also disgusting to watch when MSFT blatantly copies the hottest competitor in every segment of every market. It's like watching a rich kid w/ no friends trying to fit in while being hated by everyone.

I'm not saying I hate their products; some of their stuff is great. I just hate their complacent management with no passion or desire to push forward. Instead of inventing a new concept that supercedes the "App Store", their management chooses to sue. That is the new face of Microsoft.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
This is trademark, not patent.

I think App-le can make a legitimate case for such a trademark as much as it pains me.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]zubikov[/nom]Windows - A resource manager using windowsApp Store - A store that sells apps[/citation]
Windows - A resource manager using windows made my Microsoft

Windows is a name specific to MS, a window is generic to resource manager, but the term Windows when used to talk about an OS is specific to MS, that little "s" at the end of the word makes a HUGE difference. It changes it from a generic term for a part of the OS to a name specific to a program made by MS. It is not the same as the phrase App Store since it is not and has never been specific to Apple, Apple App Store, Apple Store, iPhone Store or even Jobs' Store would work since they are specific terms that are unique to Apple.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]thedreadfather[/nom]No, they absolutely do not. Microsoft has a trademark on "Microsoft Windows," completely different from just "windows". Way to take a completely unnecessary snipe at Microsoft there.[/citation]
No they do own the trademark on the word Windows when used to describe the OS created by Microsoft.

themassacre

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
this is just retarded, if microsoft had trademarked it first, nobody would give a crap. its only mircosoft that sues over this stuff because they cant think of it for themselves.

apple trademarked the title appstore, not the term. you can still call the blackberry's one, or the droids "your appstore" they just cant name it that.

god, whats next, microsoft suing because apple's operating system is called "OSX"?

its already bad enough microsoft badmouths things that make no sense, like droid phones having a "real" keyboard, they dont have to sue over dumb shit like this.

themassacre

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]No they do own the trademark on the word Windows when used to describe the OS created by Microsoft.[/citation]
did it ever occor to you that "app" could stand for "apple", just like "bs" stands for "microsoft"

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Windows is not a generic term for an Operating System, App Store is about as generic as you can get when referring to a store that sells apps...When you say Windows when talking about computers you are talking about the Microsoft product, when you say App Store when talking about computers it could mean Amazon App Store, Apple App Store, Google Market, Cydia, or any of the many other stores that sells apps, that is the difference. Apple is trying to trademark a highly generic term to stop other companies from using the same generic and widely used term. If Microsoft were to try to trademark "Operating System" then you would have the same situation happening.[/citation]
Good explanation. I don't think Microsoft has ever sued a store that sells physical windows, e.g. Joe's Windows. They did sue Lindows, but they were making an OS.

However, Microsoft also trademarked Microsoft Office, which is an "office productivity suite". But then products like OpenOffice and StarOffice seem to still exists, so maybe Microsoft isn't so batcrap insane over their trademarks. I mean, Apple sued a school because the school used an apple in their logo (apparently Apple owns all fruit, even though they stole their own Apple logo from Apple Music, owned by the Beatles).

Anywho, I like any lawsuit that will prevent one company from trademarking/patenting something completely obvious on non-original as "App Store". The term "application" has been around forever.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]themassacre[/nom]did it ever occor to you that "app" could stand for "apple", just like "bs" stands for "microsoft"[/citation]
apple should trademark apphole because everyone that uses apple products are pretty much assholes

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
What if instead of iTunes Apple had patented "Music Store"?
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]@Camikazi "Shutdown" is about as generic as you can get, too.[/citation]
they patented the act of asking the user what to do when applications don't close, not the name. BUt still, that is really stupid too

poseidon2112

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
This coming from the company who took legal action because a kid named Mike Rowe had a website at www.mikerowesoft.com which M$ claimed violated their trademark because it was a homonym.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]tburns1[/nom]Doesn't Microsoft trademark "Windows"?I look outside every day.[/citation]

they also arent trying to paten a window to try and say no one else can call a window a window. they are trying to paten a piece of software which they named windows. that that doesnt mean you cant make something else called windows but if you make some software and called it windows they might object.

i believe the argument is they are saying apple is using normal terminolagy for what they have patented. Like app and store . they never made a product named app or store but they are trying to paten the idea of a app and store. i dont know alot of patens so i wont go to into detail here but it seems logical to me that you cant paten it. otherwise why hasnt someone patented grocery store.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
BTW aLL you people bashing on ms and seem to like the fact a company can trademark or paten anything they want. MS didnt sue anyone get off your crap they sent a letter in there hasnt been any mention of a current or pending lawsuit. Where are you people getting this crap.

Zubi who do they copy with what? the only thing i have seen them copy recently is thier super over priced products for absolutly no reason. thier new windows os looks like crap so i guess there they are copying apple. and im sure its kinda useless so there they might be copying apple also.

wintelforever

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
i remember when the idea of an app store would get you laughed out of the room. it is really sad that device makers now control what software can run on your device.

douglasdarden

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
It seems like Apple and Microsoft are going to battle over everything. They can't play nice but it wouldn't be business if they did, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.