T-Bird 1.2 O.C. Problem

G

Ok, heres my problem. I have an Asus A7M266, T-Bird 1.2 GHZ,512 MB PC2100, Leadtec winfast GeForce2 MX Pro graphics, Bios is rev. 1.1. Being a machinist I built my own water cooling heat sink. Everytime I try to raise the FSB it becomes unstable or wont boot. I started at 133 MHZ and it runs perfectly stable, I can raise it to 141 and it will boot but acts strange, anything above that it wont even boot just beeps loudly. My multipler is 9X and cant be changed in bios. What am I doing wrong any help would be appreciated. The T-Bird has a "C" at the end of the serial # so I know it's for the 266 FSB. Thank you in advance for any help.......

Zoe // Q20

Zoe Crist // Q20

G

I'm afraid I dont know what a batch code is , how can I find out ??

Zoe // Q20

Zoe Crist // Q20

svol

Champion
You can try to raise your CPU core voltage to get stability.
I think your voltage is now between the 1.75V and 1.8V, this means that you can set it to somewhere between 1.8V and 1.85V. This can make your CPU more stable.
Be certain that you CPU temp gets not to high otherwise you'll can damege it.
I believe that you can change your voltage in your BIOS and otherwise their will be some jumpers on your board; check your manual.

G

maybe your pc2100 cann't cut it, adjust your memory timing in BIOS, may help.
i've read somewhere that some pc2100 doesn't overclock too well
good luck.

however, we all finish at the begining and start at the end

G

When you say be sure not to get it too hot, What is TOO hot?
Also I see in BIOS my options for SDRAM timing options are CAS latency, RAS precharge, RAS to CAS delay. Should I adjust these values and to what extent.

Zoe Crist // Q20

G

sorry, cant help there - i have abit board, gives settings like standard, fast, faster, turbo, so i don't know the actual numbers.

what are your temps?

someone else know the ddr ram settings for this board and suggested o/c values

G

I finally finished my water cooler today and installed it so temps are not a problem now 37 (98) CPU temp, 36 (96) MB temp. I cannot get my processor to overclock, here are my numbers off the processor : A1200AMS3C
AXAIA0107GPAW
Y6044150986
I dont know what they mean but maybe they will tell something as to why I cant seem to O.C.
thanx...

Zoe // Q20

Zoe Crist // Q20

G

ummm, what cards do you have? some network cards dont like the fsb o/c'd, other than that i'm only guessing.
maybe-
pull one stick of pc2100, try both sticks seperately
pull all cards except gf2 mx

my chip (A1000,AHIA,4) becomes warmer from fsb o/c even thou the overall speed remains constant.

the specs you supplied point to a very o/c'ble chip - your batch, the 'AXIA' in the second line and the 'Y' in the third usually go to 1433 air-cooled (what program are you using to measure temps??)

can any one else with the asus a7m266 board help Q20 ???

G

I'm usinf a Lynksys 10/100 card and a MOTU(mark of the unicorn) PCI 324 audio card. It's a special 72 input digital card, I'm a recording engineer and use this machine for digital audio. I will try pull both cards and leave the graphics. I'm using Motherboard Monitor 5.08 and ASUS probe, thank you so much for staying with me on this.......

Zoe // Q20

Zoe Crist // Q20

G

well I tried removing the cards and no luck. Still no bootup even with slight FSB raised, from 133 to 138........ any ideas please......thank you
Zoe // Q20

Zoe Crist // Q20

G

and the memory sticks ???

G

ummm, dug around a bit

<A HREF="http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/ddr2/" target="_new"> here's </A> a link with enough DDR to kill a camel

to much for me - hope it can help you.

G

256 MB samsung PC2100
256 MB crucial PC2100
both are unbuffered non-ECC

Zoe Crist // Q20

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's most likely the RAM. Have you tried raising the FSB with one stick at a time in? That'll probably tell you.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

Isn't it possible to unlock the processor multiplier then?
Or doesn't the Bios have multiplier adjustment features in it?

This way, with a higher multiplier, you can find out how far the processor will go, when you know that, you can alter the FSB and find out how far that will go.

I'd also advise you to try one memory stick at a time, because a lower memory load might improve stability. Remove as much cards and stuff as possible, you can try to add them later as soon as the system is stable with the overclocked fsb.

Try to find some F.A.Q. about your memory timings and set everything to as much delay as possible, also relax some other settings considering PCI, AGP and CPU. If the FSB won't overclock then, it's getting problematic. If does work, you can set one of the settings to a higher or faster value and see if it is still stable. Repeat this until you have found the optimal settings. It might take a while.

There are some good BIOS FAQ's and tweak guides around, there you'll find an explanation about all the options.

G

In My BIOS the multiplier is greyed out and cannot be changed, if there is a way I'd try it. I actually got the system to boot using one stick of Samsung memory after raising the FSB to 145 MHZ with a multiplier of 9, but then I got plenty of messages from windows, the blue screen of death kind, one said the registry was messed up and the windows had restorded a backup copy and that it was fixed yet it would show up everytime, the other messages were windows protection fault message saying I need to reboot only to end up at the same place again

Zoe Crist // Q20

G

sounds like you need to borrow a stick of pc2400 (150DDR)
if this works you have your answer!

did you read any of the link i sent you ???

lots on memory settings