Room temps and case/cpu temps

I wanted to ask if the room temp matters much in the cpu/mobo temps. I mean cpu is 15C above case and case is 15C above room temp or something like that? In my room temps are usually around 45C (no a/c) and the case is 35C and CPU at 55C idle (full is around 60C). Cpu is tbird 800@933 at 1.7 vcore (pc alert reports 1.75) and i have a fop 32-1 with AS2 and 3 case fans (two out and one intake). Will i see better temps in winter?

Palpatine
6 answers Last reply
More about room temps case temps
  1. Holy hell! Is that a typo or is your case temp <i>really</i> 10C below room temp? My guess is that's a typo...
    Most people here would say that 15C above room temp is a little high. 5-10C would be much better, and I would say 10C is realistic (unless you want to go nuts and start cutting up your case to install a bunch of fans). CPU temps that are 15C above case temp is not too bad (wish I was getting that!). Seeing better temps in winter depends on whether you have your home heating cranked up or not! :smile:

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down
  2. My case is below the room temp. I have 40C at least in here (it's like a room from hell) and the case is 35C max. So it is below . I wanted to know if the case temp depends from the room temp alot. For example if room temp falls 10C the case will fall 5C or something like that? Also what is the safest max mobo temp/case temp?

Palpatine
  3. How in the hell can you have a case temperature lower than room temperature? Your case is sucking in room temp. air and it's mixing with the heat dissipating from the CPU/GPU/Hard drives. Thermodynamically I don't see how it can be possible for the case to be lower than room temp. if it contains air with a higher temp. (than room) and the air outside is room temp.. Did I miss something about a refrigerant somewhere in the post?

"In my room temps are usually around 45C" ---> BS! That's about 113 degrees Farenheit. Do you sell bridges online from your room, too?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kalzone on 07/19/01 04:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  4. Well, i will put a room thermometer in my room tomorrow and see the exact temp. I see that your dont believe me about the 45C. Well we have 40C every day in my city, with no a/c and with two pc blowing hot air from the case and PSU into the room, you get the picture. When i dont have the room fan blowing at me i am sweating jut by sitting in my bed. I know it shitty but i am just a poor student and i dont have money to buy an A/C. Glad i gave you an idea for your signature though :)
  5. Room temperature or ambient temperature is vitally important to ensure effective cooling of a computer system whether by air or water cooling means.

Cooling is lowering the temperature of an item. This can only be achieved by the flow of heat (a form of energy) from the item to be cooled to some other medium, for example air or water.

If your cooling system does not use a heat pump (and most do not), then heat can only flow from an item at a high temperature to one at a lower temperature.

An analogy would be a car moving along a slope, if the engine is not running (equivilent to no heat pump) the car will only move down the slope, i.e from a higher level to a lower level.

To get it to move from the lower level to the higher level requires energy to be put in to the system, either by running the engine or using a heat pump.

So to cool something with air, requires the air temperature to be lower than the temperature of the thing you wish to cool.

To put some figures to the discussion Amd's Thermal, Mechanical and Chassis Cooling Design Guide 23794D - March 2001 states that the maximum local ambient temperature in the case should be 42C and that this temperature should be no more than 7C above the external ambient (Room) temperature, which suggests a maximum room temperature of 35C for effective cooling of Athlon or Duron based systems.

I would also agree with other posters that if your system takes in air at a particular temperature and adds heat to it then the temperature of the air in the case must be higher than out of the case. I suggest measuring room temperature and then inside the case temperature with the same probe for more reliable readings.
  6. Palpatine - it is not possible for something to be below the air temperature that is cooling it unless that item is undergoing evaporative cooling (sweating).

Air flow of 45 degrees over a device at 35 degrees will raise it's temperature to 45 degrees eventually. If that device is generating heat (the Northbridge in your mobo where the reading comes from) then is will read 2 or 3 degrees over your ambient air temperature (at least).

If your room temperature is 40 degrees and your motherboard software is telling you that it is 35 degrees, then it (not you) is just plain wrong.

Overall however, I'd say your mobo temp of 35C is in line with a cpu temp of 55 to 60 given a fair to average cooler. I'd also say that 40 degrees indoors is really crazily hot. You may be surprised how hot it really has to be to get to 40 degrees....

-* This Space For Rent *-
    email for application details
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cases CPUs Overclocking