G

I'm a beginner in the overclocking field but i think i got the internal heat sinks and fans all figured out now i just don't get where the case fans actually fit in ur case? could someone explain that to me? And do you need a special case for them?

Ok thnx, any links to info would be nice as well but i just need the questions above cleared up.

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Most cases come with a spot to put an inflow fan. You'll find it behind the front panel near the bottom. Actually, most cases come with that fan installed (typically, an 80mm fan). Then, there is a spot on the back panel where you can place an exhaust fan. This is usually located a little below your psu. I think most older cases give room for a 60mm fan, but I have recently seen some CasEdge cases with an 80mm exhaust. The exaust port on my case, was simply an area of small holes in a circular formation (the "grill"), with four screw holes for mounting the fan. I took some small pin cutters to mine and cut out the "grill" because I was not getting good air flow out of it. Man, what a difference that made! So, that's the basic fan setup you'll find on most mainstream cases. To install additional fans, you'll have to start cutting holes in the side or top of the case. There are also cases (plan on spending a couple o' hundred bucks on these) that have elaborate fan setups already in them.
Hope this helps!

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

G

thnx for the info..

ok followup questions

The fan in the front panel -- would that be like in the front of the fan and then the air would flow through the front panel of your case... like where the power button is (most cases) and below your drive slots?

One more thing... what kind of power connectors do these fans use? Just the regular from your PSU?

Thnx again for ur help

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
"The fan in the front panel -- would that be like in the front of the fan and then the air would flow through the front panel of your case... like where the power button is (most cases) and below your drive slots?"
The answer to that question is yes. In fact, I've read some posts here from others who modify their front panel to get better airflow, as the panel acts like a barrier to the fan. As far as power connections, it depends on the fan. I had a low cfm 80mm intake fan, that worked fine on the 3 pin connector on the mobo, but recently put in a Sanyo Denki 80mm fan (53cfm if I remember correctly) that works of the 4 pin connector from the psu. It also has a 3 pin connector for the mobo to monitor rpm, but I don't use it because it's so freakin' loud, and I'd know if it stopped working.
BTW- Should you get a Delta 7k rpm fan, it's very important you don't plug it into the mobo. Get a 3 to 4 pin adapter and plug it into an empty 4 pin connector from your psu. The Delta has a reputation of burning out the 3 pin connector on mobos. Again, it's so loud that you'll know if it stops working! Hope this helps, and good luck!

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

G

thnx a lot that really cleared up a few things for me.