P3 450

G

Ok here's the thing.

I currently run this old P3 and i'm buying a new amd in october...

I would like to get a little more performance out of this old one but the thing is, i don't think it'll go very far. I'm unsure of the mobo as i'm on vacation and i'm typing from my laptop... it's a long story so don't ask... I remember it was ASUS but i don't wanna mislead as i really don't remember any more.

Either way, something tells me it's not really worth it to OC this one as i won't be able to take it too far... and i don't feel like buying cooling supplies for it.

So any advice on whether to try or not when i get back? I'm asking cause this will decide my future plans.

Thnx.

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!

D33

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
i guess you have the pIII katmai core with 512 cache?
well i won't lie to you, these katmais are not really friends of overclocking, with a locked multiplier and exxtreme heat you will have to be carefull.
anyway, your only way out will be to mess with your fsb.
look for jumpers on the board in order to do that, you might be able to raise it to 110, or 115 without any problem, but higher will require a higher vcore and some serious cooling.
and you also need to make sure you other parts in the pc can support such changes, like your memory, vga card.....
so let me know what you did

G

well i'm not there right now to check... the ram will support it or i think it should as it is 133... the video is an ati something with 32 megs, it's 2 years old...

I'm actually leaning towards leaving this pc alone and not [-peep-] with anything... someone in my household will be using it for internet and programming... since those don't really require that much power, and i don't think the power i will add give that much of a difference...

One more thing i may use it as a server with an 80 gig HD i'll be plugging in it... so stability is needed... so most likely i'll leave it be and buy me a nice tbird or palomino (depending on time of purchase) with Nforce and GF3 or Radeon 2... DRooooooL... **goes off dreaming**

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!

Slayer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001
Man i´ve just upgrade my old 440bx system and i used an old p3 450. Its a doodle to overclock. I ran mine on 124 FSb with no problems ever, thats with no extra cooling or voltage increases. Just check in your bios to adjust your fsb and your away. Or adjust the jummper settings on your m/b, it depends on your m/b.

The p3 450 is one of the easy overclocks ever, most people can get it to 558 with ease. Mine ran solid for just over a year and a half with no lockups.

D33

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
you could actually run your pIII 450@124 fsb without extra cooling??????? how could you do that?is your pc next to an air conditioner?o katmai without extra cooling is quite somethign new to me..and especially without extra vcore.
i personnaly think it's impossible under 100% load.(personal opinion), but if it really is stable, than you'r the man!

G

Yea that's what i was thinking... what kind of cooling did u guys use?

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Am running a 450 @ 558(4.5x128) all day, every day, for close to a year now…

Use good CL2 memory and ya might even get a more depending on what else is in the box… But with a mid-tower or smaller, you’ll probably need something to get rid of heat…

I’m using a big (noname) slot1 dual HSF on the CPU(with thermal transfer compound) , and a 4” case fan in the front bottom of the case blowing in, pushing thru and out the back. It’s a cheap computer show mid-tower case, looks nice but obviously has bad airflow.

All’s OK for a while, then CPU and the whole case temp starts creeping up. Keep the case open and CPU temp will stay < 50C. Close the case and it wouldn’t take long to buzz the overheat warning buzzer.

I tried a cheap $12 solution and it worked. I took a cheap plastic drive bay fan and turned the fans around so they blew out (exhaust), and put it in the very top full sized drive bay.

It’s working! The CPU temp holds at 47 to 49C, so it must be doing the job and pulling the heat out of the case.

Actually thats only 5 fans, 2 on the CPU, 2 in the top bay and 1 big one in the bottom!

So it looks a little funny, has a little whir, and it’s just a 450!

But an extra, reliable, no problems 558 hanging on the network ain’t all that bad either!!!

G

Here's my setup:
QDI BrilliantX 1S/2000 Mainboard
P3 450
ATI Xpert 2000 (Rage 128)
133Mhz RAM

I tried messing with the Bios' "Jumper Emulation" last night which basically turns it up to 133Mhz FSB and gives you a choice of multiplier.

I tried it with the lowest multiplier (3X) but if I understand one of the posts above, it wont matter as the chip is fixed at a 4.5X multiplier. Indeed, the post reported the CPU as being a 600B.

Ran it that way for just a few minutes. Games such as Combat Flight Sim 2 and Ultima 9 seemed quite stable.

I gather from the other posts that it would not last long at this speed with the standard Intel retial heatsink and fan.

I emailed QDI and after pointing out that the jumper emulation is for overclocking only, they when on to answer my question about using a real P3-600B: The board will support it running at its native speed (no overclocking) but the rest of the board will be overclocked. I mention that because I know where I can get one for a reasonable price.

Comments?

G

just wondring... where can you get one for a reasonable price :)

G

i have the same cpu
im running at 124 mhz fsb withthe standard intel cooler!!
it is very stable and the temperature is only 39degrees on full load (3Dmark 2001 for an hour)
I live in the UK so the ambient temperature is low.
If i run at 133 fsb it will boot and load windows for about 5 min before the cpu cache overheats and it crashes (i think thats why anyway)
Im going to glue an athlon fan to the cpu and the stock intel cooler (cut down) onto the cache chips to improove cooling, Then i should be able to get to 600mhz easily. my mobo wont go any higher on fsb so thats the maximum i can get.
Try overclocking it on the standard HSF as it might be fine.

you can find those on Ebay.
I use the Alpha 3125?? with a copper spacer for the cache chips.
You can also Increase the latency of the L2 cache from 8 to 9 or 10 with a program called WCPUL2 from <A HREF="http://www.H-ODA.com" target="_new">http://www.H-ODA.com</A>. this may allow you to reach 133 fsb and put your pci back in spec and give you a higher overall overclock.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rick_criswell on 08/01/01 07:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

At work: A computer store. We have a 'leftover' one in stock. :)