Xerox Workcentre M940 printer

I just bought a Dell Dimension 8400 last week, running Windows XP Home version. I have tried downloading the software for my Xerox Workcentre M940 printer. The printer will not work. (it is the same printer I used with Win '98) I have also gone to Xerox & downloaded the latest driver at
http://www.support.xerox.com/go/results.asp?prodID=M940&Xlang=en_US&Xcntry=USA&Xtype=download&prodName=WorkCentre%20M940

Of course, it asks for the Xerox disk to be in. Then, the disk starts up automatically to install it self. I also get the "disk can not be found" error.

What can I do to get this dang printer to install? I'd really hate to buy a new one, especially after buying this pc. :)

Thanks for any & all help.
--
Karen In Vermont
3 answers Last reply

    Ensure you've COMPLETELY uninstalled anything that you managed to install
    regards the printer and start again!

    Disconnect the printer from the PC... follow Bruce Sanderson's instructions
    at:

    After cleanup, reboot. Install the software and do NOT reconnect the
    printer until the software tells you to do so.
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "KareninVt" <KareninVt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Dell Dimension 8400 last week, running Windows XP Home
    >version. I have tried downloading the software for my Xerox Workcentre M940
    >printer. The printer will not work. (it is the same printer I used with Win
    >'98) I have also gone to Xerox & downloaded the latest driver at
    > http://www.support.xerox.com/go/results.asp?prodID=M940&Xlang=en_US&Xcntry=USA&Xtype=download&prodName=WorkCentre%20M940
    >
    > Of course, it asks for the Xerox disk to be in. Then, the disk starts up
    > automatically to install it self. I also get the "disk can not be found"
    > error.
    >
    > What can I do to get this dang printer to install? I'd really hate to buy
    > a new one, especially after buying this pc. :)
    >
    > Thanks for any & all help.
    > --
    > Karen In Vermont

    Hi Cari,
    I made sure everything was COMPLETELY uninstalled. I've done this 5 or 6
    times. It gets a little old, ya know? I have also gone to Bruce's site &
    followed instructions. I wrote to Xerox the same night I posted this message.
    I keep getting this error when I try to unzip the file:
    "WinZip Self-Extractor header corrupt. Possible cause: bad disk or file
    transfer error."
    I deleted the file every time after getting this error. And download it
    again. Just in case it just might be my connection, ect. All I received back
    was a form letter saying they received my email.

    I'm not sure what to do next. BTW, I have downloaded successfully, drivers
    for my Kodak camera & other software, ect. that were not compatible with XP.
    So..... not sure what to do next.

    Thank you!
    Karen

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Ensure you've COMPLETELY uninstalled anything that you managed to install
    > regards the printer and start again!
    >
    > Disconnect the printer from the PC... follow Bruce Sanderson's instructions
    > at:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >
    > After cleanup, reboot. Install the software and do NOT reconnect the
    > printer until the software tells you to do so.
    > --
    > Cari
    > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "KareninVt" <KareninVt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just bought a Dell Dimension 8400 last week, running Windows XP Home
    > >version. I have tried downloading the software for my Xerox Workcentre M940
    > >printer. The printer will not work. (it is the same printer I used with Win
    > >'98) I have also gone to Xerox & downloaded the latest driver at
    > > http://www.support.xerox.com/go/results.asp?prodID=M940&Xlang=en_US&Xcntry=USA&Xtype=download&prodName=WorkCentre%20M940
    > >
    > > Of course, it asks for the Xerox disk to be in. Then, the disk starts up
    > > automatically to install it self. I also get the "disk can not be found"
    > > error.
    > >
    > > What can I do to get this dang printer to install? I'd really hate to buy
    > > a new one, especially after buying this pc. :)
    > >
    > > Thanks for any & all help.
    > > --
    > > Karen In Vermont

    It does sound like the file from Xerox is corrupt.... but right click on it
    just once more and try XP's unzipping utility.
    --

    > Hi Cari,
    > I made sure everything was COMPLETELY uninstalled. I've done this 5 or 6
    > times. It gets a little old, ya know? I have also gone to Bruce's site &
    > followed instructions. I wrote to Xerox the same night I posted this
    > message.
    > I keep getting this error when I try to unzip the file:
    > "WinZip Self-Extractor header corrupt. Possible cause: bad disk or file
    > transfer error."
    > I deleted the file every time after getting this error. And download it
    > again. Just in case it just might be my connection, ect. All I received
    > back
    > was a form letter saying they received my email.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to do next. BTW, I have downloaded successfully, drivers
    > for my Kodak camera & other software, ect. that were not compatible with
    > XP.
    > So..... not sure what to do next.
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Karen
    >

    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Ensure you've COMPLETELY uninstalled anything that you managed to install
    >> regards the printer and start again!
    >>
    >> Disconnect the printer from the PC... follow Bruce Sanderson's
    >> instructions
    >> at:
    >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >>
    >> After cleanup, reboot. Install the software and do NOT reconnect the
    >> printer until the software tells you to do so.
    >> --
    >> Cari
    >> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "KareninVt" <KareninVt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I just bought a Dell Dimension 8400 last week, running Windows XP Home
    >> >version. I have tried downloading the software for my Xerox Workcentre
    >> >M940
    >> >printer. The printer will not work. (it is the same printer I used with
    >> >Win
    >> >'98) I have also gone to Xerox & downloaded the latest driver at
    >> > http://www.support.xerox.com/go/results.asp?prodID=M940&Xlang=en_US&Xcntry=USA&Xtype=download&prodName=WorkCentre%20M940
    >> >
    >> > Of course, it asks for the Xerox disk to be in. Then, the disk starts
    >> > up
    >> > automatically to install it self. I also get the "disk can not be
    >> > found"
    >> > error.
    >> >
    >> > What can I do to get this dang printer to install? I'd really hate to
    >> > buy
    >> > a new one, especially after buying this pc. :)
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any & all help.
    >> > --
    >> > Karen In Vermont

Xerox Printers Windows XP