Much ado about nothing.

G

After reading multiple postings in this forum and looking a HSF configurations, I appears to me the biggest design defect is the “Dead Air Space” created by the center hub of a fan is aligned with the Hottest part of the heat source. With the fan mounted flush to the heat sink only the outer ring moves air along the outer edges of the Heat Sink. I can see why copper and even silver is needed to move the heat out to the very edges that receive actual airflow. No wonder orbs are so inefficient with little or no airflow in the bottom center.
It would seem a fan moving air smoothly through a duct from out side the case, through parallel fins of a heat sink, then on out of the case would be the most efficient.
Any thoughts?

Feeling my heat, she whispered in my ear; “You must have an AMD under there…”

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Yep - a well ducted fan - 120mm and not too noisy providing good laminar air flow over the total heatsink area will be very good. Also bear in mind that many heatsinks use a clipping mechanism right through the center and over the cpu core, preventing heatsink fins exactly where they would be most effective. See Swiftech for ways to avoid this.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details