Can't boot off drive or floppym, but can cdrom on Armada M..

I hope someone can help me, but I suspect this unit is beyond it.

My nephew has an Armada M300 that turns on, but reports 1782-Disk
Controller Error. I then get something about PXE-6
media-something-failure, although no network cables are conected.
Finally, I get the, "Non-System disk or disk error..." message even
with a disk in the floppy drive.

I can boot off the cdrom, but can't access the floppy drive. I went
into the bios and set it to boot off floppy first, makes no
difference. If cdrom is in, it boots to it, if not, no go.

I tried to reinstall Win98 just to see what the scandisk would reveal
and I get a run-time error R6003 - integer divide by 0 error message.

Suggestions?

Damian
1 answer Last reply
More about boot drive floppym cdrom armada

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 02:12:37 GMT, Damian <ss@ss.com> wrote:

    >I hope someone can help me, but I suspect this unit is beyond it.
    >
    >My nephew has an Armada M300 that turns on, but reports 1782-Disk
    >Controller Error. I then get something about PXE-6
    >media-something-failure, although no network cables are conected.
    >Finally, I get the, "Non-System disk or disk error..." message even
    >with a disk in the floppy drive.
    >
    >I can boot off the cdrom, but can't access the floppy drive. I went
    >into the bios and set it to boot off floppy first, makes no
    >difference. If cdrom is in, it boots to it, if not, no go.
    >
    >I tried to reinstall Win98 just to see what the scandisk would reveal
    >and I get a run-time error R6003 - integer divide by 0 error message.

    I took it to where he got it today, and after swapping out the
    hard-drive, we were able to access it, so it looks like it's not the
    motherboard that is at fault. Now the question is: can any brand of
    notebook hard drive be used? I mean, within the parameters of
    gigabytes and the OS's ability to see it all? These things are
    expensive for the amount of space you get.

    Damian

Compaq Floppy Disk Boot Computers