Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Audiovox VX6600 Volume Defective?????

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:00:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I just got off the phone for a second time with the tech people at Audiovox
and they don't have a clue as to how to fix the problem. Since the phone
was introduced, people have been complaining about the volume of the ringer
(so low that you can't even hear it) and the volume of the built-in earpiece
(so low that you can barely carry on a conversation.) Audiovox initially
posted on their web site a "fix" to the volume problem. I went ahead and
backed up my PDA, downloaded the software, installing the new software, and
then restored the backed up data, (more than an hour). After all that,
there was no noticable change in either ringer volume or earpiece volume.

I am going back to Verizon tomorrow (I would go today, but I have meetings
all day) to return this phone (PDA)

Bruce D. Brown
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:26:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> and they don't have a clue as to how to fix the problem. Since the phone
> was introduced, people have been complaining about the volume of the
> ringer

The ringer is easily fixed by downloading louder ring tones. There's even a
hacked set of the default ringers which are louder than the preinstalled
set.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:48:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I agree that you can download a louder ringer. I did just that but it still
is not loud enough in a noisy area. Additionally, the earpiece volume is
too low. Both Verizon and Audiovox acknowledge that there is a problem. I
have been calling for several days and got a call back this morning from
Audiovox and also a Vice President of Verizon and both acknowledged a
problem. They strongly "suggested" that I return the phone within the 30
day period. I did just that. I have just returned from Verizon and
returned the phone. The Verizon customer service representative was fully
aware of the problem.

I really wanted this phone/PDA to work as I travel and would be able to
leave my computer behind. The thing that really bothers me about this phone
is that when you spend over $600 for a phone and accessories, you expect to
be able to hear the person on the other end.

"wowcow" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
news:GaISd.3794$Ba3.1560@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> and they don't have a clue as to how to fix the problem. Since the phone
>> was introduced, people have been complaining about the volume of the
>> ringer
>
> The ringer is easily fixed by downloading louder ring tones. There's even
> a hacked set of the default ringers which are louder than the preinstalled
> set.
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:29:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

*-IN YOUR CONVERSATIONS WITH AUDIOVOX DIDN'T THEY GIVE A CLUE AS TO
WHETHER OR NOT THAT THEY COULD PRODUCE A SOFTWARE FIX?-* :confused:


--
Z1truth
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:03:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I talked to 3 different persons at Audiovox over the last few days and other
than the fix which was posted a few days ago, they could offer no additional
information. The fix that was posted a few days ago did not increase any
ringer volume or earpiece volume (in my opinion) and the volume that I was
left with was way low. Seems like the problem is either hardware related
(poor speakers) or software related (poor signal sent to the speaker). None
of the people that I talked to had a clue as to exactly what is wrong but
there definately is something wrong. I will not spend this much money on a
phone that "doesn't work." I went into the Verizon Store yesterday and
returned the phone and went back to my trusty LG4500. I will wait until a
working PDA Phone is available.

Bruce D. Brown

"Z1truth" <Z1truth.1kw5fm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
news:Z1truth.1kw5fm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...
>
> *-IN YOUR CONVERSATIONS WITH AUDIOVOX DIDN'T THEY GIVE A CLUE AS TO
> WHETHER OR NOT THAT THEY COULD PRODUCE A SOFTWARE FIX?-* :confused:
>
>
> --
> Z1truth
> brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
>
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:03:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:zFXSd.29659$Tj7.25205@twister.socal.rr.com...
>I talked to 3 different persons at Audiovox over the last few days and
>other than the fix which was posted a few days ago, they could offer no
>additional information. The fix that was posted a few days ago did not
>increase any ringer volume or earpiece volume (in my opinion) and the
>volume that I was left with was way low. Seems like the problem is either
>hardware related (poor speakers) or software related (poor signal sent to
>the speaker). None of the people that I talked to had a clue as to exactly
>what is wrong but there definately is something wrong. I will not spend
>this much money on a phone that "doesn't work." I went into the Verizon
>Store yesterday and returned the phone and went back to my trusty LG4500.
>I will wait until a working PDA Phone is available.
>
> Bruce D. Brown

Rumour has it that the Samsung i730 could be released on VZW as early as
March 23. You may not have too long to wait.

Alan
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:58:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I had the same problem. The volume was way too low. I did use the old
ringer as a ring tone since this was the loudest. after being
frustrated, I eturned it for the Samsung i700. I had this for 2 weeks
but problems with that were worse than the 6600. So I went back to the
6600. I just have to have a pda phone for work. I figured that even
with the shortvomings it was better than the samsung. also, when using
the bluetooth headset it eliminates some of those concerns.


--
jeffd5000
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:47:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Jeff,

Like you I returned the Audiovox 6600 but I have absolutely no thoughts of
going back to that defective phone. The volume, both ringer and earpiece
were just too low for me to hear. Because of my need for a PDA Phone or a
Blackberry (Not the old version but the 7100 series like Cingular has), I
am seriously thinking of leaving Verizon and going to Cingular. I know
voice reception is my most important consideration but I am wondering if
Cingular is getting to be as good as Verizon and if I should change. I am
to meet with my friend who sells for Cingular tomorrow to get a phone to try
out the service for a week.

Bruce

"jeffd5000" <jeffd5000.1ladxn@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
news:jeffd5000.1ladxn@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...
>
> I had the same problem. The volume was way too low. I did use the old
> ringer as a ring tone since this was the loudest. after being
> frustrated, I eturned it for the Samsung i700. I had this for 2 weeks
> but problems with that were worse than the 6600. So I went back to the
> 6600. I just have to have a pda phone for work. I figured that even
> with the shortvomings it was better than the samsung. also, when using
> the bluetooth headset it eliminates some of those concerns.
>
>
> --
> jeffd5000
> brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
>
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:47:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Why would you want the old 7100? They are up to 7700 now...


Bruce D. Brown wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Like you I returned the Audiovox 6600 but I have absolutely no
> thoughts of going back to that defective phone. The volume, both
> ringer and earpiece were just too low for me to hear. Because of my
> need for a PDA Phone or a Blackberry (Not the old version but the
> 7100 series like Cingular has), I am seriously thinking of leaving
> Verizon and going to Cingular. I know voice reception is my most
> important consideration but I am wondering if Cingular is getting to
> be as good as Verizon and if I should change. I am to meet with my
> friend who sells for Cingular tomorrow to get a phone to try out the
> service for a week.
> Bruce
>
> "jeffd5000" <jeffd5000.1ladxn@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
> news:jeffd5000.1ladxn@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...
>>
>> I had the same problem. The volume was way too low. I did use the
>> old ringer as a ring tone since this was the loudest. after being
>> frustrated, I eturned it for the Samsung i700. I had this for 2
>> weeks but problems with that were worse than the 6600. So I went
>> back to the 6600. I just have to have a pda phone for work. I
>> figured that even with the shortvomings it was better than the
>> samsung. also, when using the bluetooth headset it eliminates some
>> of those concerns. --
>> jeffd5000
>> brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:05:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I use a bluetooth for the XV6600, hence never notice the low volume
issues.

The bluetooth does not work listening to multimedia, so I have to use
external speakers when driving.

Cingular has reduced their voice coverage. Verizon still offers AMPS,
hence near 100% national voice coverage. Cingular has areas with zero
voice or data since they are going GSM only.

For data there is no comparison in performance/coverage. Verizon is the
only one with any 3G significant rollouts. Cingular has a limited UTMS
offering in 6 cities, which is slower than EVDO. The rest of their
non-national coverage is 60-135Kbs, and some states are mostly 9.6Kbs.
Verizon national access 144Kbs works anywhere in their coverage area
and is faster than Cingular's PC card enabled for GRPS/EDGE.


Bruce D. Brown wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Like you I returned the Audiovox 6600 but I have absolutely no
thoughts of
> going back to that defective phone. The volume, both ringer and
earpiece
> were just too low for me to hear. Because of my need for a PDA Phone
or a
> Blackberry (Not the old version but the 7100 series like Cingular
has), I
> am seriously thinking of leaving Verizon and going to Cingular. I
know
> voice reception is my most important consideration but I am wondering
if
> Cingular is getting to be as good as Verizon and if I should change.
I am
> to meet with my friend who sells for Cingular tomorrow to get a phone
to try
> out the service for a week.
>
> Bruce
>
> "jeffd5000" <jeffd5000.1ladxn@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
> news:jeffd5000.1ladxn@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...
> >
> > I had the same problem. The volume was way too low. I did use the
old
> > ringer as a ring tone since this was the loudest. after being
> > frustrated, I eturned it for the Samsung i700. I had this for 2
weeks
> > but problems with that were worse than the 6600. So I went back to
the
> > 6600. I just have to have a pda phone for work. I figured that
even
> > with the shortvomings it was better than the samsung. also, when
using
> > the bluetooth headset it eliminates some of those concerns.
> >
> >
> > --
> > jeffd5000
> > brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
> >
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 2:59:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The cingular areas that had amps will still have amps untill the FCC
says they can drop it. The same with verizon.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:03:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

If Cingular had AMPS, where they did not offer GSM that would be fine.
Problem is, just like the other providers they do not have coverage
across the nation.

Cingular told me the would not sell a AMPS/TDMS/GSM replacement phone,
only GSM. So, Cingular has reduced their coverage to zero in some areas
for new customers. Verizon has not since they still support their
tri-mode under their national plan.

I never could figure out why Cingular repeatedly terminated the
AMPS/TDMS on my 6340I and then 2nd level tech would enable it. Of
course I had to drive to another state for the phone to work again,
after the techs keep my on the phone for hours.

Must be a dodge on the FCC rules. Drive off existing customers and sell
only GSM phones.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:42:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The last tdma carrier I know of in WI is cingular. AFAIK their entire
area is also gsm. So they have no reason to maintain tdma here. The
only reason they have to maintain amps is the FCC rule. But the FCC
rule to maintain the amps network does not mean that they have to
offer/provide amps service to their customers.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:47:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

PS Because all of cingular's system is covered by gsm and they only
sign up new customers in that area, those new customers do not have zero
coverage. Why those second level techs would enable it is beyond me too.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 1:37:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Hello gang,

When I started reading this thread you guys had me worried about my new
purchase of a VX6600. I think I've figured out something about the
problem and have come up with a quick and easy work around to get us by
until Audiovox fixes this glitch.

The problem: I've noticed that when I go into Settings/Sound &
Notifications/Notifications tab and select Phone: Incoming call, any of
the available ringtones that you pick are much louder in the preview
play than when the phone is actually receiving a call (probably called
myself 20 times testing different things). I also noticed that no
matter what you set the PDA or Phone volume level at with the volume
controls from the speaker icon on the top menu bar, the actual ringer
sound you choose doesn't change volume (I wonder if Audiovox has even
noticed this or if that's by design). So... if the audio file you are
using for a ringer is soft you're gonna miss some calls. I copied the
"Windows Default.wav" sound file from my PDA to my desktop and used
Windows Sound Recorder to up the volume 4 times on the file (25%
increments each time) which made it annoyingly loud and copied it back
to the pda. I did notice a bit of a volume increase, but not near
enough to be heard well in a noisy office. This was the only one I
could change though since the other ring tones are WMA files and not
WAV. So... I had to come up with something else.

The Fix: Although the ringtone I ended up with isn't glamorous it does
ring alot louder now and does indeed sound like a phone ringing. What
I did was find a WAV file on my desktop that Windows XP uses for
NetMeeting: Receive Call, filename RINGIN.WAV. I created a new folder
on my PDA called My Ringtones under My Documents and copied the file
from my C:\Windows\Media\ folder to the new folder I created. Then I
went back to my PDA, to Settings/System tab/Add Ring Tone and scrolled
down till I found RINGIN.WAV and checked it and hit OK. This puts the
new file in the list of rings you can select for a ringtone under
Settings/Personal tab/Sounds & Notifications/Notifications tab. I
simply selected Phone: Incoming Call, left Ring Type at Ring, and
selected Ringin as my Ring Tone. That sound is super loud in the
preview from that menu and acceptably loud when the PDA is actually
receiving a call.

Sorry to be so verbose with this fix for all you vets, but I thought
some might want a walkthrough to fix this glitch for the time being.
I've read alot of "I returned this phone because I couldn't hear it
ringing" and it's a shame because I think this is one of the best
Windows Mobile based PDA/Phones with Bluetooth that I've layed my hands
on. Hopefully this will keep a few returns from happening because of
this small problem when the rest of the package is great.

I can't speak about the actual volume of the speaker on a call since I
just got my phone. I was able to hear a friend of mine fine mostly. I
just assumed what little problem I had with hearing her was due to me
not lining the tiny speaker hole up with my ear very well. I will be
using a Bluetooth headset for all my calls (as soon as the dern thing
gets here!) so I won't be having any problems hearing people talking.



Hope this helps! :) 


-PDA'd


--
PeeDeeAed
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:01:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In response to PDA'd elegent solution to the low ringer issue I was able
to up the volume with sound shaping software. I made several version
and tried them all with considerable sucess. I actually have several
that are way TOO loud.

I think this issuse is solved!

KeithM


--
kmorris
!