XP Home with Lexmark X6170

I feel pretty stupid but I know just enough to get by with
regard to troubleshooting. I just purchased Win XP Home
and was installing it when it gave me an upgrade (from Win
ME) report. It says that my brand new Lexmark X6170 all-
in-one printer may not be compatible with Win XP Home,
although the printer box says it is compatible with Win
XP. When I looked at the list of printers at
microsoft.com, this particular Lexmark printer was not
listed. Can anyone give me any feedback? I suppose I
could uninstall the printer then reinstall after
installing Win XP, but I don't want to go through that if
it isn't going to function properly. Help!
3 answers Last reply
More about home lexmark x6170

    DISCONNECT the printer PRIOR to upgrading.

    Once the upgrade is done, then download a new set of drivers from
    www.lexmark.com. Install the software and do NOT connect the printer to the
    PC until the software asks you to do so.
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "Melonie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I feel pretty stupid but I know just enough to get by with
    > regard to troubleshooting. I just purchased Win XP Home
    > and was installing it when it gave me an upgrade (from Win
    > ME) report. It says that my brand new Lexmark X6170 all-
    > in-one printer may not be compatible with Win XP Home,
    > although the printer box says it is compatible with Win
    > XP. When I looked at the list of printers at
    > microsoft.com, this particular Lexmark printer was not
    > listed. Can anyone give me any feedback? I suppose I
    > could uninstall the printer then reinstall after
    > installing Win XP, but I don't want to go through that if
    > it isn't going to function properly. Help!

    Cari,

    This is similar to my x125 problem with xp pro and indeed the lexmark box
    says okay for xp.

    I can install lexmark, but cannot print nordelete the test page ( which is
    interrupted shortly after start).

    Have done all of the things etc. Bidirectional checked box? Have Lexmark
    symbol on tool bar with "X".

    You seem to be very expert on these matters.

    Help appreciated--regards--tsirk@eandetech.com

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > DISCONNECT the printer PRIOR to upgrading.
    >
    > Once the upgrade is done, then download a new set of drivers from
    > www.lexmark.com. Install the software and do NOT connect the printer to the
    > PC until the software asks you to do so.
    > --
    > Cari
    > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Melonie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I feel pretty stupid but I know just enough to get by with
    > > regard to troubleshooting. I just purchased Win XP Home
    > > and was installing it when it gave me an upgrade (from Win
    > > ME) report. It says that my brand new Lexmark X6170 all-
    > > in-one printer may not be compatible with Win XP Home,
    > > although the printer box says it is compatible with Win
    > > XP. When I looked at the list of printers at
    > > microsoft.com, this particular Lexmark printer was not
    > > listed. Can anyone give me any feedback? I suppose I
    > > could uninstall the printer then reinstall after
    > > installing Win XP, but I don't want to go through that if
    > > it isn't going to function properly. Help!

    How are you connecting the printer to the PC?
    www.coribright.com

    "tsirk" <tsirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Cari,
    >
    > This is similar to my x125 problem with xp pro and indeed the lexmark box
    > says okay for xp.
    >
    > I can install lexmark, but cannot print nordelete the test page ( which is
    > interrupted shortly after start).
    >
    > Have done all of the things etc. Bidirectional checked box? Have Lexmark
    > symbol on tool bar with "X".
    >
    > You seem to be very expert on these matters.
    >
    > Help appreciated--regards--tsirk@eandetech.com
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> DISCONNECT the printer PRIOR to upgrading.
    >>
    >> Once the upgrade is done, then download a new set of drivers from
    >> www.lexmark.com. Install the software and do NOT connect the printer to
    >> the
    >> PC until the software asks you to do so.
    >> --
    >> Cari
    >> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Melonie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I feel pretty stupid but I know just enough to get by with
    >> > regard to troubleshooting. I just purchased Win XP Home
    >> > and was installing it when it gave me an upgrade (from Win
    >> > ME) report. It says that my brand new Lexmark X6170 all-
    >> > in-one printer may not be compatible with Win XP Home,
    >> > although the printer box says it is compatible with Win
    >> > XP. When I looked at the list of printers at
    >> > microsoft.com, this particular Lexmark printer was not
    >> > listed. Can anyone give me any feedback? I suppose I
    >> > could uninstall the printer then reinstall after
    >> > installing Win XP, but I don't want to go through that if
    >> > it isn't going to function properly. Help!

Windows XP Lexmark Microsoft Printers