Pentium II Overclocking

G

Hello, folks!

While waiting for nForce to show up so I could build a new system, I decided to sqeeze all the juice out of my old one. I'm going to give it over to my daughter later on, so it doesn't hurt if it runs a bit peppier, right? :)

Well, the mobo is Tyan Tiger 2 ATX S1692D, with a single Pentium II 266 "Klamath" CPU. (I was originally planning to install a second CPU later, but never got to it.) The mobo's FSB is fixed at 66 MHz, but the CPU clock can be changed up to 5.0 (meaning 333 MHz max).

Tha Klamath CPUs are not locked, from what I understand. Indeed, I was able to underclock the CPU to 233 MHz, so that verifies the hypothesis. But when I tried to overclock to 300 MHz, the system failed to boot. There was no display on the monitor, and a green light on the mobo was flashing (while it was staying solid green when everything was all right). There was nothing about that diagnostic light in the motherboard's manual.

I wonder what could be the reason the system failed to boot. Inadequate cooling? (The CPU has a stock fan, and the case is not cooled by anything else other than the power supply's fan; but the case was open.) If so, I could try again with a better cooling. Inadequate power supply? The system uses an old PowerMan 231W, and it has started making suspicious noises lately. Or is it just that the particular CPU I have is just not good for overclocking?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Leo

Nice sig Crash.

Can I disagree?
I run a PII 300MHz Klamath normally running at 66.8 * 4.5.
I tried 66.8 * 5 and it didn't boot.
Ended up holding down the home key while booting (handier than resetting with JP14). I'd make sure you write down all your current BIOS & CMOS settings just in case.

Tried 75 * 4.5 and it worked ok, but my system has always been stable and on occasion it would freeze with this setting. Perhaps its just a question of cooling although I doubt it.

BTW I run a 250W PS. If the suspicious noise resembles rice crispies I've had that one. I think it was the fan bearings becoming worn. I'd take the thing apart and give it a good clean out.

I would look at a faster CPU.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

Thanks for suggestions. I'll see what I can do.

The idea was to optimize the old system with minimal expense, 'cause I'm already building a much better new system.

Leo