Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Data Charges on AC

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
February 22, 2005 11:45:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges for the month!
I have been on AC since Nov and never noticed data charges before. These
data calls were all within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X data network
(#777). I thought data was included in your minutes if you were on AC
and had national access.

What can I do? Will VZW cancell the charges one time?

TIA

More about : data charges

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:45:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Please call them (611) and ask. Please report back here how it goes for
you.

-Dan

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

--
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 12:13:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Treker wrote:
> I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges
> for the month! I have been on AC since Nov and never
> noticed data charges before. These data calls were all
> within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
> weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X
> data network (#777). I thought data was included in your
> minutes if you were on AC and had national access.

This is true... provided that the "national access" you are
refering to is the feature. If you go online to
My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
in the section Enhanced Services you should see
"Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.

If this is listed there and they did bill you there is either
a mistake or they have started billing for tethered/internet
access. Everybody is interested in what CS tells you.

-Quick
Related resources
February 22, 2005 1:23:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:
> Treker wrote:
>
>>I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges
>>for the month! I have been on AC since Nov and never
>>noticed data charges before. These data calls were all
>>within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
>>weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X
>>data network (#777). I thought data was included in your
>>minutes if you were on AC and had national access.
>
>
> This is true... provided that the "national access" you are
> refering to is the feature. If you go online to
> My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
> in the section Enhanced Services you should see
> "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.
>
> If this is listed there and they did bill you there is either
> a mistake or they have started billing for tethered/internet
> access. Everybody is interested in what CS tells you.
>
> -Quick
>
>
Here is my Profile:
Enhanced Services:
3-Way Calling , Busy Transfer, Call Forwarding, No Answer
Transfer, Call Waiting, Call Delivery, TXT Msg W Per Msg Charges,
Caller ID, Message Waiting Ind, Declined Insurance, Streamline
Billing, Voice Mail Plus, Natl Enhanced Svc Access, In Clg Nat Unl
Share- Sec, Americas Choice LD


As you can see it clearly has Natl Enhanced Svc Access.

Will post customer service response shortly.
February 22, 2005 1:52:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Treker wrote:
> Quick wrote:
>
>> Treker wrote:
>>
>>> I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges
>>> for the month! I have been on AC since Nov and never
>>> noticed data charges before. These data calls were all
>>> within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
>>> weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X
>>> data network (#777). I thought data was included in your
>>> minutes if you were on AC and had national access.
>>
>>
>>
>> This is true... provided that the "national access" you are
>> refering to is the feature. If you go online to
>> My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
>> in the section Enhanced Services you should see
>> "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.
>>
>> If this is listed there and they did bill you there is either
>> a mistake or they have started billing for tethered/internet
>> access. Everybody is interested in what CS tells you.
>>
>> -Quick
>>
>>
> Here is my Profile:
> Enhanced Services:
> 3-Way Calling , Busy Transfer, Call Forwarding, No Answer
> Transfer, Call Waiting, Call Delivery, TXT Msg W Per Msg Charges,
> Caller ID, Message Waiting Ind, Declined Insurance, Streamline
> Billing, Voice Mail Plus, Natl Enhanced Svc Access, In Clg Nat Unl
> Share- Sec, Americas Choice LD
>
>
> As you can see it clearly has Natl Enhanced Svc Access.
>
> Will post customer service response shortly.
>
Just got off phone with CS. They said when I "changed" plans in Dec to
add the free extra 100 mins for family plan, somehow CS put the wrong
code in and I was charged for Nights/Weekends, even voice calls. They
corrected this today and all my calls including data connections were
free. CS verified that if you have Natl Enhanced SVC access you are not
charged for data. Only minutes used. Just as Quick pointed out.

Quick - you were right. It was VZW mistake. And they were quick to
correct it.

So, I guess, the NEW AC plan does NOT include free data no matter what??
And now I know what all the chatter is about.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 1:52:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Treker wrote:
> Treker wrote:
>> Quick wrote:
>>
>>> Treker wrote:
>>>
>>>> I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data
>>>> charges for the month! I have been on AC since Nov and
>>>> never noticed data charges before. These data calls
>>>> were all within my voice minutes allowed or on
>>>> unlimited weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I
>>>> was using 1X data network (#777). I thought data was
>>>> included in your minutes if you were on AC and had
>>>> national access.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> This is true... provided that the "national access" you
>>> are refering to is the feature. If you go online to
>>> My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
>>> in the section Enhanced Services you should see
>>> "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.
>>>
>>> If this is listed there and they did bill you there is
>>> either a mistake or they have started billing for
>>> tethered/internet access. Everybody is interested in
>>> what CS tells you.
>>>
>>> -Quick
>>>
>>>
>> Here is my Profile:
>> Enhanced Services:
>> 3-Way Calling , Busy Transfer, Call Forwarding, No Answer
>> Transfer, Call Waiting, Call Delivery, TXT Msg W Per Msg
>> Charges, Caller ID, Message Waiting Ind, Declined
>> Insurance, Streamline Billing, Voice Mail Plus, Natl
>> Enhanced Svc Access, In Clg Nat Unl Share- Sec, Americas
>> Choice LD
>>
>>
>> As you can see it clearly has Natl Enhanced Svc Access.
>>
>> Will post customer service response shortly.
>>
> Just got off phone with CS. They said when I "changed"
> plans in Dec to add the free extra 100 mins for family
> plan, somehow CS put the wrong code in and I was charged
> for Nights/Weekends, even voice calls. They corrected
> this today and all my calls including data connections
> were free. CS verified that if you have Natl Enhanced SVC
> access you are not charged for data. Only minutes used.
> Just as Quick pointed out.
>
> Quick - you were right. It was VZW mistake. And they were
> quick to correct it.
>
> So, I guess, the NEW AC plan does NOT include free data
> no matter what?? And now I know what all the chatter is
> about.

Well, maybe. I switched to the same promo plan. I have an
AC Familyshare. My Kyocera 7135 was flagged (ESN) as a
PDA phone which required a data plan to be activated. I
opted for the "pay as you go" at $.015/Kb. My wife has a
VX4400 and retained the Natl Enhanced Svc Access no
problem. Some have said they called back a few times and
managed to find someone to put the Natl Enhanced Svc
Access back but I'm dubious. I suspect it may be temporary
or didn't actually happen. The rep that did mine said she
had tried and failed for a previous customer and even
suggested that I don't switch if it was important for me.

-Quick
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:00:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

out of curiosity... how much data was transmitted / how much airtime did you
use?



"Treker" <x1921@NoSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:5sISd.110596$0u.107311@fed1read04...
>I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges for the month! I
>have been on AC since Nov and never noticed data charges before. These data
>calls were all within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
>weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X data network
>(#777). I thought data was included in your minutes if you were on AC and
>had national access.
>
> What can I do? Will VZW cancell the charges one time?
>
> TIA
February 22, 2005 8:00:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

cricket wrote:
> out of curiosity... how much data was transmitted / how much airtime did you
> use?
>
>
>
> "Treker" <x1921@NoSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:5sISd.110596$0u.107311@fed1read04...
>
>>I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges for the month! I
>>have been on AC since Nov and never noticed data charges before. These data
>>calls were all within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
>>weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X data network
>>(#777). I thought data was included in your minutes if you were on AC and
>>had national access.
>>
>>What can I do? Will VZW cancell the charges one time?
>>
>>TIA
>
>
>
Over the week I was in Las Vegas, I used about 1150 mins. It was pretty
much all nights/weekends. Maybe 100 mins Peak.

I have been on VZW for years and used slow speed data. Never data
charges. In Nov 04, I switched to AC from single rate west. I was told
that high speed data network was available but I declined the service. I
was also told at the time that if you had national access, you could
get data for just minutes used. Then I see my bill and thw whopping
$600 data charges. I used Express Network #777. I guess if I used Q2N or
QNC whichever it's called and 14.4 connection it would be free. But not
the Express Network.

I am calling to complain and hopefully get the charges cancelled. I will
report back.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:17:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Over the week I was in Las Vegas, I used about 1150 mins. It was pretty
> much all nights/weekends. Maybe 100 mins Peak.

That works out to about 50 cents a min - I might be willing to pay that for
a quick email check in an airport (buying airport access might be less
expensive though). Before they put 1x on the minute of use plan back in June
2003 (or was it 2002?), I would have gladly paid a per minute fee for faster
access since I didn't use it enough to need a real data plan.

It woulda been nice to be forewarned that as of xx date, there would be a
charge for using it though...
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:21:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min fee.

Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be cracking down on free
data. But until someone gets billed for it, we don't know if older contracts
are affected.



"Treker" <x1921@NoSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:NjKSd.112601$0u.6711@fed1read04...

> Just got off phone with CS. They said when I "changed" plans in Dec to add
> the free extra 100 mins for family plan, somehow CS put the wrong code in
> and I was charged for Nights/Weekends, even voice calls.

<g>

> So, I guess, the NEW AC plan does NOT include free data no matter what??
> And now I know what all the chatter is about.
>
February 22, 2005 9:45:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:4LKSd.3909$Ba3.3692@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min fee.
>
> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be cracking down on free
> data. But until someone gets billed for it, we don't know if older
contracts
> are affected.


They have been contacting alot of people who have been getting the EN for
free. Basically warning them to get a data plan or get charged for data
usage. There have been some getting hit pretty hard on bills.



KC
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:45:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

_KC_ wrote:
> "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> news:4LKSd.3909$Ba3.3692@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min
>> fee.
>>
>> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be
>> cracking down on free data. But until someone gets
>> billed for it, we don't know if older contracts are
>> affected.
>
>
> They have been contacting alot of people who have been
> getting the EN for free. Basically warning them to get a
> data plan or get charged for data usage. There have been
> some getting hit pretty hard on bills.

No one has posted a first hand experience here on either so far.

-Quick
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:45:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:
> _KC_ wrote:
>> "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>> news:4LKSd.3909$Ba3.3692@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min
>>> fee.
>>>
>>> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be
>>> cracking down on free data. But until someone gets
>>> billed for it, we don't know if older contracts are
>>> affected.
>>
>>
>> They have been contacting alot of people who have been
>> getting the EN for free. Basically warning them to get a
>> data plan or get charged for data usage. There have been
>> some getting hit pretty hard on bills.
>
> No one has posted a first hand experience here on either so far.
>
> -Quick

Hey.. never let a little thing like any proof whatsoever get in the way of a
good conspiracy theory... :) 
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1109092698.91402@sj-nntpcache-3...
>
> This is true... provided that the "national access" you are
> refering to is the feature. If you go online to
> My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
> in the section Enhanced Services you should see
> "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.
>


hmm.. I dont have "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed, but I have never been
charged anything other then minutes for 1x data, I did have them add MOU
once it became available, and I have been using it ever since, I dont use it
alot, but when I do use it I tend to rack up quite a few min here and there.


geoff
February 23, 2005 1:52:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA PLAN only
for plans from 2/21 and on?

I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the 12th. I was
not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were taken. On 2/14 my plan
was changed to access the 9 $10 additional lines and the 200 extrra minutes
I would gain.

My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am still on
the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?

thanks


"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:381gv4F5h3pjoU1@individual.net...
> Quick wrote:
> > _KC_ wrote:
> >> "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> >> news:4LKSd.3909$Ba3.3692@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> >>> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min
> >>> fee.
> >>>
> >>> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be
> >>> cracking down on free data. But until someone gets
> >>> billed for it, we don't know if older contracts are
> >>> affected.
> >>
> >>
> >> They have been contacting alot of people who have been
> >> getting the EN for free. Basically warning them to get a
> >> data plan or get charged for data usage. There have been
> >> some getting hit pretty hard on bills.
> >
> > No one has posted a first hand experience here on either so far.
> >
> > -Quick
>
> Hey.. never let a little thing like any proof whatsoever get in the way of
a
> good conspiracy theory... :) 
>
>
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:52:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Jason wrote:
> so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA
> PLAN only for plans from 2/21 and on?
>
> I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the 12th.
> I was not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were taken. On
> 2/14 my plan was changed to access the 9 $10 additional lines and the
> 200 extrra minutes I would gain.
>
> My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am
> still on the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?
>
> thanks
>
>

How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the next day
and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?
February 23, 2005 2:21:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

oh i have used it since my last bill a total of 3 minutes or so, where do i
check?...i thought i had to wait til next bill to see

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:381ro4F5lh5u3U1@individual.net...
> Jason wrote:
>> so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA
>> PLAN only for plans from 2/21 and on?
>>
>> I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the 12th.
>> I was not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were taken. On
>> 2/14 my plan was changed to access the 9 $10 additional lines and the
>> 200 extrra minutes I would gain.
>>
>> My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am
>> still on the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>>
>
> How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the next day
> and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:21:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Can you access your account online? There is a link for show detail since
last bill.. That is usually updated every 24 hours...


Jason wrote:
> oh i have used it since my last bill a total of 3 minutes or so, where do
> i check?...i thought i had to wait til next bill to see
>
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:381ro4F5lh5u3U1@individual.net...
>> Jason wrote:
>>> so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA
>>> PLAN only for plans from 2/21 and on?
>>>
>>> I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the
>>> 12th. I was not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were
>>> taken. On 2/14 my plan was changed to access the 9 $10 additional
>>> lines and the 200 extrra minutes I would gain.
>>>
>>> My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am
>>> still on the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>>
>>
>> How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the
>> next day and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?
February 23, 2005 2:34:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

yes it has a data 3.3mb under one of my numbers

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:381tg4F5g677uU1@individual.net...
> Can you access your account online? There is a link for show detail since
> last bill.. That is usually updated every 24 hours...
>
>
> Jason wrote:
>> oh i have used it since my last bill a total of 3 minutes or so, where do
>> i check?...i thought i had to wait til next bill to see
>>
>> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> news:381ro4F5lh5u3U1@individual.net...
>>> Jason wrote:
>>>> so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA
>>>> PLAN only for plans from 2/21 and on?
>>>>
>>>> I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the
>>>> 12th. I was not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were
>>>> taken. On 2/14 my plan was changed to access the 9 $10 additional
>>>> lines and the 200 extrra minutes I would gain.
>>>>
>>>> My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am
>>>> still on the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?
>>>>
>>>> thanks
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the
>>> next day and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?
>
>
February 24, 2005 11:15:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1109098655.470295@sj-nntpcache-3...
> _KC_ wrote:
> > "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > news:4LKSd.3909$Ba3.3692@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> >> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min
> >> fee.
> >>
> >> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be
> >> cracking down on free data. But until someone gets
> >> billed for it, we don't know if older contracts are
> >> affected.
> >
> >
> > They have been contacting alot of people who have been
> > getting the EN for free. Basically warning them to get a
> > data plan or get charged for data usage. There have been
> > some getting hit pretty hard on bills.
>
> No one has posted a first hand experience here on either so far.
>
> -Quick



Go to Howard Forums and do a search. Lots of reports there of people
beginning to get charged for data instead of minutes.


KC
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:45:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

looks like the complaints involve pda phones, not 'normal' phones... I want
to know when non-pda phones are billed for modem use.



"_KC_" <_KC_@KC.com> wrote in message
news:QBqTd.11652$x53.7930@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1109098655.470295@sj-nntpcache-3...
>> _KC_ wrote:
>> > "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>> > news:4LKSd.3909$Ba3.3692@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> >> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min
>> >> fee.
>> >>
>> >> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be
>> >> cracking down on free data. But until someone gets
>> >> billed for it, we don't know if older contracts are
>> >> affected.
>> >
>> >
>> > They have been contacting alot of people who have been
>> > getting the EN for free. Basically warning them to get a
>> > data plan or get charged for data usage. There have been
>> > some getting hit pretty hard on bills.
>>
>> No one has posted a first hand experience here on either so far.
>>
>> -Quick
>
>
>
> Go to Howard Forums and do a search. Lots of reports there of people
> beginning to get charged for data instead of minutes.
>
>
> KC
>
>
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:09:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:21:52 GMT, "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com>
wrote:

>I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min fee.
>
>Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be cracking down on free
>data. But until someone gets billed for it, we don't know if older contracts
>are affected.

I'll know for sure when my bill comes in, but my DSL and phone service
have been down for 2 days (power company issue) and I have been using
the QNC on a June 2002 AC/400 account. Neither #MIN or #DATA show any
additional data charges or usage. The data minutes seem to be coming
out of my peak or N&W buckets, depending on time of call.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 3:47:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I purchased a Samsung i600 privately and activated it on my existing
account. Previuosly, I was not using a pda phone. I have done a little
surfing. When I just checked, I do not see any data usage charged to my
account.


"Jason" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:CkPSd.7784$QQ3.6108@trnddc02...
> yes it has a data 3.3mb under one of my numbers
>
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:381tg4F5g677uU1@individual.net...
>> Can you access your account online? There is a link for show detail since
>> last bill.. That is usually updated every 24 hours...
>>
>>
>> Jason wrote:
>>> oh i have used it since my last bill a total of 3 minutes or so, where
>>> do i check?...i thought i had to wait til next bill to see
>>>
>>> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> news:381ro4F5lh5u3U1@individual.net...
>>>> Jason wrote:
>>>>> so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA
>>>>> PLAN only for plans from 2/21 and on?
>>>>>
>>>>> I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the
>>>>> 12th. I was not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were
>>>>> taken. On 2/14 my plan was changed to access the 9 $10 additional
>>>>> lines and the 200 extrra minutes I would gain.
>>>>>
>>>>> My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am
>>>>> still on the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?
>>>>>
>>>>> thanks
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the
>>>> next day and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:29:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:58:10 -0800, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the next day
>and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?

First the particulars:
Samsung A650 using Mobile Office Kit
America's Choice Family Plan, updated on 1/24/2005
Month cycle 23rd of each month

I did a test on NA, for about 6 minutes, on 2/22. No Data usage
showed up on my account at verizonwireless.com.

This weekend I got my bill online. No data charges, just minutes
used. 10 minutes were tagged peak, the rest offpeak or weekend. I
also had 14 minutes of usage called Outbound Data CL, which were calls
to my ISP's modem pool.

So I called *611 to ask about this, cause I fully expected to see some
charges for data usage. He told me they will be charging me in the
future, but he doesn't know when that'll happen. They'll be charging
me for mb usage but I forgot to ask him how much per mb. He's
suppose to offer the data plans for me to use, the cheapest is the
20mb for $39.99 ($2 per mb). Also the plan only covers usage on their
network, so data usage connecting to my ISP's modem pool wouldn't be
covered by the data plan. When I told him my account doesn't show
data usage other than text messages sent/received on
verizonwireless.com, he said that'll show up when I get a data plan.
But I don't have a text message plan, either, but that usage shows up.

Then I called them again, to ask about the cost per mb and if there
was a difference between NA and Q2N data charges. This time, another
guy told me I won't be getting Data charges ever, unless I switch to a
PDA. Cause, I'm using an airtime plan as opposed to a PDA which uses
a data plan. PDA's are always connecting to the network, so that's
why it needs a data plan. I'm already being charged for data, but
it's based on a minute usage plan, not a data usage plan. But he also
said I shouldn't be able to connect to the NA network at all, only the
Q2N network, but I know I do, because the I get speeds faster than
landline connections with the 1XRTT, and pathetic speeds with Q2N.
He also told me data charges are .004 cent per kb. Move the decimal,
and it's 4 cents a mb? Maybe it's .004 dollars a kb ($4 per mb).

So I'm still confused, I'm still getting conflicting info. So I'll
just keep using it for now, on nights and weekends. Someday, I'll
either get a surprise on my bill, or my account on verizonwireless.com
will start showing data usage other than text messages. Or I'll never
get charged as long as I'm not using a PDA. I dunno...
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 3:45:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Sharon Westfall wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:58:10 -0800, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>> How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the
>> next day and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?
>

>
> So I'm still confused, I'm still getting conflicting info. So I'll
> just keep using it for now, on nights and weekends. Someday, I'll
> either get a surprise on my bill, or my account on verizonwireless.com
> will start showing data usage other than text messages. Or I'll never
> get charged as long as I'm not using a PDA. I dunno...

Pretty similar to mine.. I have been using the MOU for a few years, and am
still not being charged. I finally talked to someone at CS that said keep
checking the bill, if it shows a surprise charge, CS will usually take them
off ONCE.. At that point, just don't use it again. I don't see how they can
ever charge for q2n stuff, you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
not sure how they determine data, since you can call #777 for q2n (I travel
and don't want to worry about changing dial-up numbers, so always use the
#777, even for q2n)
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:35:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Peter Pan wrote:
> I don't see how they can ever charge for q2n stuff,
> you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
> not sure how they determine data, since you can
> call #777 for q2n (I travel and don't want to worry
> about changing dial-up numbers, so always use
> the #777, even for q2n)

The terminating equipment (and so the network on
the other end) has to change parameters for data
over a digital connection. One could do voice over
a data channel but it would be the least efficient
use of the channel. Various things can be done with
voice to optimize network resources that will not work
for a data connection. Compression codecs for example
can convey voice with at least an 8:1 (and often much
higher) compression ratio. Voice band data on the other
hand cannot be compressed and may even require bit
exactness. So the phone has to tell the network that
the call is a data call.

So they have to know it's a data call for it to work.
Beyond that it's just billing policy.

-Quick
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 5:07:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:
> Peter Pan wrote:
>> I don't see how they can ever charge for q2n stuff,
>> you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
>> not sure how they determine data, since you can
>> call #777 for q2n (I travel and don't want to worry
>> about changing dial-up numbers, so always use
>> the #777, even for q2n)
>
> The terminating equipment (and so the network on
> the other end) has to change parameters for data
> over a digital connection. One could do voice over
> a data channel but it would be the least efficient
> use of the channel. Various things can be done with
> voice to optimize network resources that will not work
> for a data connection. Compression codecs for example
> can convey voice with at least an 8:1 (and often much
> higher) compression ratio. Voice band data on the other
> hand cannot be compressed and may even require bit
> exactness. So the phone has to tell the network that
> the call is a data call.
>
> So they have to know it's a data call for it to work.
> Beyond that it's just billing policy.
>
> -Quick

Are you insinuating that they will start charging for Q2N calls!?!?!?

I haven't heard anything (on ac 1) that that would ever happen......Now you
are saying it may/will?
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:54:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Peter Pan wrote:
> Quick wrote:
>> Peter Pan wrote:
>>> I don't see how they can ever charge for q2n stuff,
>>> you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
>>> not sure how they determine data, since you can
>>> call #777 for q2n (I travel and don't want to worry
>>> about changing dial-up numbers, so always use
>>> the #777, even for q2n)
>>
>> The terminating equipment (and so the network on
>> the other end) has to change parameters for data
>> over a digital connection. One could do voice over
>> a data channel but it would be the least efficient
>> use of the channel. Various things can be done with
>> voice to optimize network resources that will not work
>> for a data connection. Compression codecs for example
>> can convey voice with at least an 8:1 (and often much
>> higher) compression ratio. Voice band data on the other
>> hand cannot be compressed and may even require bit
>> exactness. So the phone has to tell the network that
>> the call is a data call.
>>
>> So they have to know it's a data call for it to work.
>> Beyond that it's just billing policy.
>>
>> -Quick
>
> Are you insinuating that they will start charging for Q2N
> calls!?!?!?
>
> I haven't heard anything (on ac 1) that that would ever
> happen......Now you are saying it may/will?

Good grief... did I say that? I don't think so, and I re-read
it a couple of times... I don't think I insinuated anything.

You said:
"I don't see how they can ever charge for q2n stuff,
you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
not sure how they determine data,..."

I simply explained how they determine that it's
a data call. Nothing more, nothing less. How in the
world did you read more into it than that?

-Quick
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:46:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:
> Peter Pan wrote:
>> Quick wrote:
>>> Peter Pan wrote:
>>>> I don't see how they can ever charge for q2n stuff,
>>>> you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
>>>> not sure how they determine data, since you can
>>>> call #777 for q2n (I travel and don't want to worry
>>>> about changing dial-up numbers, so always use
>>>> the #777, even for q2n)
>>>
>>> The terminating equipment (and so the network on
>>> the other end) has to change parameters for data
>>> over a digital connection. One could do voice over
>>> a data channel but it would be the least efficient
>>> use of the channel. Various things can be done with
>>> voice to optimize network resources that will not work
>>> for a data connection. Compression codecs for example
>>> can convey voice with at least an 8:1 (and often much
>>> higher) compression ratio. Voice band data on the other
>>> hand cannot be compressed and may even require bit
>>> exactness. So the phone has to tell the network that
>>> the call is a data call.
>>>
>>> So they have to know it's a data call for it to work.
>>> Beyond that it's just billing policy.
>>>
>>> -Quick
>>
>> Are you insinuating that they will start charging for Q2N
>> calls!?!?!?
>>
>> I haven't heard anything (on ac 1) that that would ever
>> happen......Now you are saying it may/will?
>
> Good grief... did I say that? I don't think so, and I re-read
> it a couple of times... I don't think I insinuated anything.
>
> You said:
> "I don't see how they can ever charge for q2n stuff,
> you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
> not sure how they determine data,..."
>
> I simply explained how they determine that it's
> a data call. Nothing more, nothing less. How in the
> world did you read more into it than that?
>
> -Quick

Cause I and many others, use #777 for q2n calls, so we don't have to
remember numbers, and reconnects are a second or so, since there is no modem
negotiation.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:41:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Peter Pan wrote:
> Quick wrote:
>> Peter Pan wrote:
>>> Quick wrote:
>>>> Peter Pan wrote:
>>>>> I don't see how they can ever charge for q2n stuff,
>>>>> you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
>>>>> not sure how they determine data, since you can
>>>>> call #777 for q2n (I travel and don't want to worry
>>>>> about changing dial-up numbers, so always use
>>>>> the #777, even for q2n)
>>>>
>>>> The terminating equipment (and so the network on
>>>> the other end) has to change parameters for data
>>>> over a digital connection. One could do voice over
>>>> a data channel but it would be the least efficient
>>>> use of the channel. Various things can be done with
>>>> voice to optimize network resources that will not work
>>>> for a data connection. Compression codecs for example
>>>> can convey voice with at least an 8:1 (and often much
>>>> higher) compression ratio. Voice band data on the other
>>>> hand cannot be compressed and may even require bit
>>>> exactness. So the phone has to tell the network that
>>>> the call is a data call.
>>>>
>>>> So they have to know it's a data call for it to work.
>>>> Beyond that it's just billing policy.
>>>>
>>>> -Quick
>>>
>>> Are you insinuating that they will start charging for
>>> Q2N calls!?!?!?
>>>
>>> I haven't heard anything (on ac 1) that that would ever
>>> happen......Now you are saying it may/will?
>>
>> Good grief... did I say that? I don't think so, and I
>> re-read it a couple of times... I don't think I
>> insinuated anything.
>>
>> You said:
>> "I don't see how they can ever charge for q2n stuff,
>> you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
>> not sure how they determine data,..."
>>
>> I simply explained how they determine that it's
>> a data call. Nothing more, nothing less. How in the
>> world did you read more into it than that?
>>
>> -Quick
>
> Cause I and many others, use #777 for q2n calls, so we
> don't have to remember numbers, and reconnects are a
> second or so, since there is no modem negotiation.

So what I said is that when you make a data call they
know it's a data call. Even if it's Q2N.

-Quick
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:18:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
news:38eps6F5hvqfaU1@individual.net:
> I don't see how they can ever charge for q2n stuff, you are
> basically calling a LD number direct, and not sure how they
> determine data, since you can call #777 for q2n (I travel and don't
> want to worry about changing dial-up numbers, so always use the
> #777, even for q2n)

My calls to my ISP's modem pool were tagged as "Outbound Data CL", so
the system knows it's a data call, even though I'm not calling #777.
The speed is even slower than Q2N but; obviously something I don't want
to use unless I'm desperate.

Ok since I'm here, I have another question: what's the difference
between National Access and Extended Network (1XRRT)? I've always
assumed the fast network was called NA, and that's what I've been using
with just Windows and the modem drivers. I recently re-installed the
Mobile Office Kit (you're right, Marc, it's easier... the init codes
must just change with the connection type, you don't even have to know
what they are) and the connection is called Extended Network (1XRTT).
I'm sure I'm accessing the same thing, regardless of what I (or my
Office Kit) calls it.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:18:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:18:17 GMT, Sharon Westfall <westfal@lava.net>
wrote:

>Ok since I'm here, I have another question: what's the difference
>between National Access and Extended Network (1XRRT)? I've always
>assumed the fast network was called NA, and that's what I've been using
>with just Windows and the modem drivers. I recently re-installed the
>Mobile Office Kit (you're right, Marc, it's easier... the init codes
>must just change with the connection type, you don't even have to know
>what they are) and the connection is called Extended Network (1XRTT).
>I'm sure I'm accessing the same thing, regardless of what I (or my
>Office Kit) calls it.

Oops, check that... it's called "Express Network (1XRTT)" on my Mobile
Office Kit.
February 28, 2005 1:18:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

National Access is a new name for Express Network -- they are the same
product.

"Sharon Westfall" <westfal@lava.net> wrote in message
news:95i421h3d09694sepcdal0fl9920oarikc@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:18:17 GMT, Sharon Westfall <westfal@lava.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Ok since I'm here, I have another question: what's the difference
> >between National Access and Extended Network (1XRRT)? I've always
> >assumed the fast network was called NA, and that's what I've been using
> >with just Windows and the modem drivers. I recently re-installed the
> >Mobile Office Kit (you're right, Marc, it's easier... the init codes
> >must just change with the connection type, you don't even have to know
> >what they are) and the connection is called Extended Network (1XRTT).
> >I'm sure I'm accessing the same thing, regardless of what I (or my
> >Office Kit) calls it.
>
> Oops, check that... it's called "Express Network (1XRTT)" on my Mobile
> Office Kit.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:18:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Sharon Westfall wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:18:17 GMT, Sharon Westfall <westfal@lava.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ok since I'm here, I have another question: what's the difference
>> between National Access and Extended Network (1XRRT)? I've always
>> assumed the fast network was called NA, and that's what I've been
>> using with just Windows and the modem drivers. I recently
>> re-installed the Mobile Office Kit (you're right, Marc, it's
>> easier... the init codes must just change with the connection type,
>> you don't even have to know what they are) and the connection is
>> called Extended Network (1XRTT). I'm sure I'm accessing the same
>> thing, regardless of what I (or my Office Kit) calls it.
>
> Oops, check that... it's called "Express Network (1XRTT)" on my Mobile
> Office Kit.

The 1X network used to be called Express Network, then the name changed to
NationalAccess, and now I hear people refer to it as the NA part of (the
plan)NationalAccess AND BroadbandAccess...
Too confusing for me... I'm a binary type person.. yes/no black/whie on/off
etc... I just call it 1X.... :) 

As for the diference, The lower speed is basically circuit switched (lower
speeds, actualy 14.4 but to sell more, the number on the screen may be
bigger) and is usually called Quick 2 Net (or Q2N for shorthand)
The higher speed (1X in various names) is packet switched, and can have
speeds up to 144 (10 times the Q2N speed), but usual connects are about
80-100.. Faster than a normal phone line (about 52-56)
and of course then there is EVDO (also called 1X-EVDO just to confuse the
heck out of people) and can have speeds up to 2000 (but usual connects are
about 300-500)....

Confused yet? If not, give the marketers/spinners a bit more time... :) 
!