Data Charges on AC

treker

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004

I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges for the month!
I have been on AC since Nov and never noticed data charges before. These
data calls were all within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X data network
(#777). I thought data was included in your minutes if you were on AC
and had national access.

What can I do? Will VZW cancell the charges one time?

TIA

Treker wrote:
> I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges
> for the month! I have been on AC since Nov and never
> noticed data charges before. These data calls were all
> within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
> weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X
> data network (#777). I thought data was included in your
> minutes if you were on AC and had national access.

This is true... provided that the "national access" you are
refering to is the feature. If you go online to
My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
in the section Enhanced Services you should see
"Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.

If this is listed there and they did bill you there is either
a mistake or they have started billing for tethered/internet
access. Everybody is interested in what CS tells you.

-Quick

treker

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004

Quick wrote:
> Treker wrote:
>
>>I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges
>>for the month! I have been on AC since Nov and never
>>noticed data charges before. These data calls were all
>>within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
>>weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X
>>data network (#777). I thought data was included in your
>>minutes if you were on AC and had national access.
>

> This is true... provided that the "national access" you are
> refering to is the feature. If you go online to
> My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
> in the section Enhanced Services you should see
> "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.
>
> If this is listed there and they did bill you there is either
> a mistake or they have started billing for tethered/internet
> access. Everybody is interested in what CS tells you.
>
> -Quick

Here is my Profile:
Enhanced Services:
3-Way Calling , Busy Transfer, Call Forwarding, No Answer
Transfer, Call Waiting, Call Delivery, TXT Msg W Per Msg Charges,
Caller ID, Message Waiting Ind, Declined Insurance, Streamline
Billing, Voice Mail Plus, Natl Enhanced Svc Access, In Clg Nat Unl
Share- Sec, Americas Choice LD

As you can see it clearly has Natl Enhanced Svc Access.

Will post customer service response shortly.

treker

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004

Treker wrote:
> Quick wrote:
>
>> Treker wrote:
>>
>>> I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges
>>> for the month! I have been on AC since Nov and never
>>> noticed data charges before. These data calls were all
>>> within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
>>> weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X
>>> data network (#777). I thought data was included in your
>>> minutes if you were on AC and had national access.
>>

>> This is true... provided that the "national access" you are
>> refering to is the feature. If you go online to
>> My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
>> in the section Enhanced Services you should see
>> "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.
>>
>> If this is listed there and they did bill you there is either
>> a mistake or they have started billing for tethered/internet
>> access. Everybody is interested in what CS tells you.
>>
>> -Quick
>>

> Here is my Profile:
> Enhanced Services:
> 3-Way Calling , Busy Transfer, Call Forwarding, No Answer
> Transfer, Call Waiting, Call Delivery, TXT Msg W Per Msg Charges,
> Caller ID, Message Waiting Ind, Declined Insurance, Streamline
> Billing, Voice Mail Plus, Natl Enhanced Svc Access, In Clg Nat Unl
> Share- Sec, Americas Choice LD
>

> As you can see it clearly has Natl Enhanced Svc Access.
>
> Will post customer service response shortly.

Just got off phone with CS. They said when I "changed" plans in Dec to
add the free extra 100 mins for family plan, somehow CS put the wrong
code in and I was charged for Nights/Weekends, even voice calls. They
corrected this today and all my calls including data connections were
free. CS verified that if you have Natl Enhanced SVC access you are not
charged for data. Only minutes used. Just as Quick pointed out.

Quick - you were right. It was VZW mistake. And they were quick to
correct it.

So, I guess, the NEW AC plan does NOT include free data no matter what??
And now I know what all the chatter is about.

Treker wrote:
> Treker wrote:
>> Quick wrote:

>>> This is true... provided that the "national access" you
>>> are refering to is the feature. If you go online to
>>> My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
>>> in the section Enhanced Services you should see
>>> "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.
>>>
>>> If this is listed there and they did bill you there is
>>> either a mistake or they have started billing for
>>> tethered/internet access. Everybody is interested in
>>> what CS tells you.
>>>
>>> -Quick
>>>

>> Here is my Profile:
>> Enhanced Services:
>> 3-Way Calling , Busy Transfer, Call Forwarding, No Answer
>> Transfer, Call Waiting, Call Delivery, TXT Msg W Per Msg
>> Charges, Caller ID, Message Waiting Ind, Declined
>> Insurance, Streamline Billing, Voice Mail Plus, Natl
>> Enhanced Svc Access, In Clg Nat Unl Share- Sec, Americas
>> Choice LD
>>

>> As you can see it clearly has Natl Enhanced Svc Access.
>>
>> Will post customer service response shortly.
>>
> Just got off phone with CS. They said when I "changed"
> plans in Dec to add the free extra 100 mins for family
> plan, somehow CS put the wrong code in and I was charged
> for Nights/Weekends, even voice calls. They corrected
> this today and all my calls including data connections
> were free. CS verified that if you have Natl Enhanced SVC
> access you are not charged for data. Only minutes used.
> Just as Quick pointed out.
>
> Quick - you were right. It was VZW mistake. And they were
> quick to correct it.
>
> So, I guess, the NEW AC plan does NOT include free data
> no matter what?? And now I know what all the chatter is
> about.

Well, maybe. I switched to the same promo plan. I have an
AC Familyshare. My Kyocera 7135 was flagged (ESN) as a
PDA phone which required a data plan to be activated. I
opted for the "pay as you go" at $.015/Kb. My wife has a
VX4400 and retained the Natl Enhanced Svc Access no
problem. Some have said they called back a few times and
managed to find someone to put the Natl Enhanced Svc
Access back but I'm dubious. I suspect it may be temporary
or didn't actually happen. The rep that did mine said she
had tried and failed for a previous customer and even
suggested that I don't switch if it was important for me.

-Quick

out of curiosity... how much data was transmitted / how much airtime did you
use?

"Treker" <x1921@NoSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges for the month! I
>have been on AC since Nov and never noticed data charges before. These data
>calls were all within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
>weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X data network
>(#777). I thought data was included in your minutes if you were on AC and
>had national access.
>
> What can I do? Will VZW cancell the charges one time?
>
> TIA

treker

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004

cricket wrote:
> out of curiosity... how much data was transmitted / how much airtime did you
> use?
>

> "Treker" <x1921@NoSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I just got my latest bill and found $600 of data charges for the month! I
>>have been on AC since Nov and never noticed data charges before. These data
>>calls were all within my voice minutes allowed or on unlimited
>>weekends/nights. It was in Las Vegas and I was using 1X data network
>>(#777). I thought data was included in your minutes if you were on AC and
>>had national access.
>>
>>What can I do? Will VZW cancell the charges one time?
>>
>>TIA

Over the week I was in Las Vegas, I used about 1150 mins. It was pretty
much all nights/weekends. Maybe 100 mins Peak.

I have been on VZW for years and used slow speed data. Never data
charges. In Nov 04, I switched to AC from single rate west. I was told
that high speed data network was available but I declined the service. I
was also told at the time that if you had national access, you could
get data for just minutes used. Then I see my bill and thw whopping
$600 data charges. I used Express Network #777. I guess if I used Q2N or
QNC whichever it's called and 14.4 connection it would be free. But not
the Express Network.

I am calling to complain and hopefully get the charges cancelled. I will
report back.

> Over the week I was in Las Vegas, I used about 1150 mins. It was pretty
> much all nights/weekends. Maybe 100 mins Peak.

That works out to about 50 cents a min - I might be willing to pay that for
a quick email check in an airport (buying airport access might be less
expensive though). Before they put 1x on the minute of use plan back in June
2003 (or was it 2002?), I would have gladly paid a per minute fee for faster
access since I didn't use it enough to need a real data plan.

It woulda been nice to be forewarned that as of xx date, there would be a
charge for using it though...

I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min fee.

Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be cracking down on free
data. But until someone gets billed for it, we don't know if older contracts
are affected.

> Just got off phone with CS. They said when I "changed" plans in Dec to add
> the free extra 100 mins for family plan, somehow CS put the wrong code in
> and I was charged for Nights/Weekends, even voice calls.

<g>

> So, I guess, the NEW AC plan does NOT include free data no matter what??
> And now I know what all the chatter is about.

_KC_

"cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min fee.
>
> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be cracking down on free
> data. But until someone gets billed for it, we don't know if older
contracts
> are affected.

They have been contacting alot of people who have been getting the EN for
free. Basically warning them to get a data plan or get charged for data
usage. There have been some getting hit pretty hard on bills.

KC

_KC_ wrote:
> "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min
>> fee.
>>
>> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be
>> cracking down on free data. But until someone gets
>> billed for it, we don't know if older contracts are
>> affected.
>

> They have been contacting alot of people who have been
> getting the EN for free. Basically warning them to get a
> data plan or get charged for data usage. There have been
> some getting hit pretty hard on bills.

No one has posted a first hand experience here on either so far.

-Quick

Quick wrote:
> _KC_ wrote:
>> "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>>> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min
>>> fee.
>>>
>>> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be
>>> cracking down on free data. But until someone gets
>>> billed for it, we don't know if older contracts are
>>> affected.
>>

>> They have been contacting alot of people who have been
>> getting the EN for free. Basically warning them to get a
>> data plan or get charged for data usage. There have been
>> some getting hit pretty hard on bills.
>
> No one has posted a first hand experience here on either so far.
>
> -Quick

Hey.. never let a little thing like any proof whatsoever get in the way of a
good conspiracy theory... :)

> This is true... provided that the "national access" you are
> refering to is the feature. If you go online to
> My Account -> Statements -> Service Profile and look
> in the section Enhanced Services you should see
> "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed there.

hmm.. I dont have "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" listed, but I have never been
charged anything other then minutes for 1x data, I did have them add MOU
once it became available, and I have been using it ever since, I dont use it
alot, but when I do use it I tend to rack up quite a few min here and there.

geoff

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA PLAN only
for plans from 2/21 and on?

I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the 12th. I was
not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were taken. On 2/14 my plan
was changed to access the 9 $10 additional lines and the 200 extrra minutes
I would gain.

My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am still on
the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?

thanks

Jason wrote:
> so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA
> PLAN only for plans from 2/21 and on?
>
> I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the 12th.
> I was not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were taken. On
> 2/14 my plan was changed to access the 9 $10 additional lines and the
> 200 extrra minutes I would gain.
>
> My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am
> still on the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?
>
> thanks

How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the next day
and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

oh i have used it since my last bill a total of 3 minutes or so, where do i
check?...i thought i had to wait til next bill to see

> Jason wrote:
>> so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA
>> PLAN only for plans from 2/21 and on?
>>
>> I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the 12th.
>> I was not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were taken. On
>> 2/14 my plan was changed to access the 9 $10 additional lines and the
>> 200 extrra minutes I would gain.
>>
>> My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am
>> still on the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?
>>
>> thanks
>>

> How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the next day
> and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?

Can you access your account online? There is a link for show detail since
last bill.. That is usually updated every 24 hours...

Jason wrote:
> oh i have used it since my last bill a total of 3 minutes or so, where do
> i check?...i thought i had to wait til next bill to see
>
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Jason wrote:
>>> so my question is this stull. Is the NO DATA usage without a DATA
>>> PLAN only for plans from 2/21 and on?
>>>
>>> I used data 1x on 2/12 - my bill runs from the 13th through the
>>> 12th. I was not billed for the 2/12 usage, just minutes were
>>> taken. On 2/14 my plan was changed to access the 9 $10 additional
>>> lines and the 200 extrra minutes I would gain.
>>>
>>> My question is will I now be charged for data? -- Or since I am
>>> still on the older plan, prior to 2/21 will I not be charged?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

>> How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the
>> next day and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

yes it has a data 3.3mb under one of my numbers

> _KC_ wrote:
> > "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> >> I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min
> >> fee.
> >>
> >> Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be
> >> cracking down on free data. But until someone gets
> >> billed for it, we don't know if older contracts are
> >> affected.
> >

> > They have been contacting alot of people who have been
> > getting the EN for free. Basically warning them to get a
> > data plan or get charged for data usage. There have been
> > some getting hit pretty hard on bills.
>
> No one has posted a first hand experience here on either so far.
>
> -Quick

Go to Howard Forums and do a search. Lots of reports there of people
beginning to get charged for data instead of minutes.

KC

looks like the complaints involve pda phones, not 'normal' phones... I want
to know when non-pda phones are billed for modem use.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:21:52 GMT, "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com>
wrote:

>I wondered if that was it when I calculated the per min fee.
>
>Yes, no free data on new accounts and they may be cracking down on free
>data. But until someone gets billed for it, we don't know if older contracts
>are affected.

I'll know for sure when my bill comes in, but my DSL and phone service
have been down for 2 days (power company issue) and I have been using
the QNC on a June 2002 AC/400 account. Neither #MIN or #DATA show any
additional data charges or usage. The data minutes seem to be coming
out of my peak or N&W buckets, depending on time of call.

I purchased a Samsung i600 privately and activated it on my existing
account. Previuosly, I was not using a pda phone. I have done a little
surfing. When I just checked, I do not see any data usage charged to my
account.

"Jason" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> yes it has a data 3.3mb under one of my numbers
>
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Can you access your account online? There is a link for show detail since
>> last bill.. That is usually updated every 24 hours...
>>

>> Jason wrote:
>>> oh i have used it since my last bill a total of 3 minutes or so, where
>>> do i check?...i thought i had to wait til next bill to see
>>>
>>> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:58:10 -0800, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the next day
>and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?

First the particulars:
Samsung A650 using Mobile Office Kit
America's Choice Family Plan, updated on 1/24/2005
Month cycle 23rd of each month

I did a test on NA, for about 6 minutes, on 2/22. No Data usage
showed up on my account at verizonwireless.com.

This weekend I got my bill online. No data charges, just minutes
used. 10 minutes were tagged peak, the rest offpeak or weekend. I
also had 14 minutes of usage called Outbound Data CL, which were calls
to my ISP's modem pool.

So I called *611 to ask about this, cause I fully expected to see some
charges for data usage. He told me they will be charging me in the
future, but he doesn't know when that'll happen. They'll be charging
me for mb usage but I forgot to ask him how much per mb. He's
suppose to offer the data plans for me to use, the cheapest is the
20mb for $39.99 ($2 per mb). Also the plan only covers usage on their
network, so data usage connecting to my ISP's modem pool wouldn't be
covered by the data plan. When I told him my account doesn't show
data usage other than text messages sent/received on
verizonwireless.com, he said that'll show up when I get a data plan.
But I don't have a text message plan, either, but that usage shows up.

Then I called them again, to ask about the cost per mb and if there
was a difference between NA and Q2N data charges. This time, another
guy told me I won't be getting Data charges ever, unless I switch to a
PDA. Cause, I'm using an airtime plan as opposed to a PDA which uses
a data plan. PDA's are always connecting to the network, so that's
why it needs a data plan. I'm already being charged for data, but
it's based on a minute usage plan, not a data usage plan. But he also
said I shouldn't be able to connect to the NA network at all, only the
Q2N network, but I know I do, because the I get speeds faster than
landline connections with the 1XRTT, and pathetic speeds with Q2N.
He also told me data charges are .004 cent per kb. Move the decimal,
and it's 4 cents a mb? Maybe it's .004 dollars a kb ($4 per mb).

So I'm still confused, I'm still getting conflicting info. So I'll
just keep using it for now, on nights and weekends. Someday, I'll
either get a surprise on my bill, or my account on verizonwireless.com
will start showing data usage other than text messages. Or I'll never
get charged as long as I'm not using a PDA. I dunno...

Sharon Westfall wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:58:10 -0800, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>> How bout doing a test? Use it for a minute or two, wait until the
>> next day and see what it shows for usage since the last bill?
>

> So I'm still confused, I'm still getting conflicting info. So I'll
> just keep using it for now, on nights and weekends. Someday, I'll
> either get a surprise on my bill, or my account on verizonwireless.com
> will start showing data usage other than text messages. Or I'll never
> get charged as long as I'm not using a PDA. I dunno...

Pretty similar to mine.. I have been using the MOU for a few years, and am
still not being charged. I finally talked to someone at CS that said keep
checking the bill, if it shows a surprise charge, CS will usually take them
off ONCE.. At that point, just don't use it again. I don't see how they can
ever charge for q2n stuff, you are basically calling a LD number direct, and
not sure how they determine data, since you can call #777 for q2n (I travel
and don't want to worry about changing dial-up numbers, so always use the
#777, even for q2n)