new idea

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, while i was on my fishing trip we picked up this cooler that has a built in peltier, so you can plug it in and it keeps the stuff cold. It is big enough for the parts of the computer...... do you think this + heatsink/fan would cool better then my watercooler? Because the "Room temperature" would be lower, thus cooling the chip better.... But I am worried about condensation (I have a room where I will set it up, and I have a dehumidifier in it).

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
How about mounting it UNDER your water cooler? A water cooled Peltier would be much more efficient. Seal the cold area surrounding the core with silicon to prevent condensation.

Video killed my Radio Card!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This month MaximumPC magazine had a collection of mod'd systems One guy placed the guts of his computer in the freezer section of an old refrigerator. He ran cables out for all the peripherals then sealed up all the openings. This keeps it very dry.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
This will not work as you describe it since the peltier is the only device removing heat from the air. It cannot pump heat faster than it's rated design and they are usually only 50W or so.

As crashman says, peltier cool your watercooler - if you cool the water supply (not the chip) it doesn't fry if you lose the peltier and the water is much colder. You still fight condensation either way though...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'd thought about that - but the limit for IDE is only about 18" and I didn't fancy deep freezing my HDDs. Not sure how to get around that one yet...

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
SCSI is possible, but more expensive of course. Firewire is limited usually to 10MB/s or thereabouts...

I hadn't considered SCSI to be honest - not a bad suggestion overall - you can still do your CDs etc. Not very pratical for an existing system that is IDE, but if one were building a new system from scratch...

G

Hi there,
One question scsi related, is there such a thing for IDE to scsi adaption?

:wink: <font color=red>Is there a help group forum</font color=red><font color=green> for forum addiction?</font color=green> :cool:

G

Long way around it! Sorry about conversing on some one elses thread....
I read USB is pretty bad as in scanners(big furphy usb), ISA was standard for a while, and pci is something to be learned by me.

<font color=blue>Is there</font color=blue><font color=orange> a help group forum</font color=orange><font color=purple> for forum addiction?</font color=purple>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I wonder what extreme chill a hard drive can take if the environment is very dry? Not one I'm going to answer myself since I'm not going to build the freezer-pc.

A future possibility is serial ATA if its not a dead project.