  • Firmware
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
February 22, 2005 9:51:18 PM

Has anyone heard anything further in regards to the firmware update for the
V710? I attempted (after Verizon CS confirmed that a store in my area had
it) to get it done on Sunday. I arrived at the store, and was told that they
were told to not flash the phones anymore (this has also been mentioned
online).

According to Verizon CS they claim there is no 'hold' on the software, and
that it is and has been beneficial to those who have obtained it. Today, I
noticed that some are claiming that Verizon has approved the flashing of the
handsets once again. I decided to call the same store that I know has it,
and they stated that it is/was still on hold, and that they have no idea
when it will be approved, or re-approved (they made sure to be very rude
about it too).

Nonetheless, I'm wondering if anyone has any further information regarding
the update, and it's availability.

Thanks

More about : v710 firmware update

February 22, 2005 10:15:18 PM

I called Customer Service this morning and spoke with the stupidest
woman I have ever encountered. After begging to be transferred to Tech
Support, I waited 35 minutes to be told that there had been no new
release or re-release if you wish.

Being so pleased with that call, I loaded my gun, took aim at my foot,
and called the 2 of the stores that are within a days drive from me.
The both said that they have been told that whatever the problem was has
been fixed and they are good-to-go on flashing the new software now. I
tried to find out what the new version was so I could compare stories,
but they had no clue.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has had the new software
installed in the past 24 hours. The weather has been a real upgrade-
stopper for me here in So Cal, and the our and a half each way to the
store sure is one trip I don't want to make if they are all hosed on the
info.

"boxermansr" <box.er.man@no.com> wrote in

> Has anyone heard anything further in regards to the firmware update
> for the V710? I attempted (after Verizon CS confirmed that a store in
> my area had it) to get it done on Sunday. I arrived at the store, and
> was told that they were told to not flash the phones anymore (this has
> also been mentioned online).
>
> According to Verizon CS they claim there is no 'hold' on the software,
> and that it is and has been beneficial to those who have obtained it.
> Today, I noticed that some are claiming that Verizon has approved the
> flashing of the handsets once again. I decided to call the same store
> that I know has it, and they stated that it is/was still on hold, and
> that they have no idea when it will be approved, or re-approved (they
> made sure to be very rude about it too).
>
> Nonetheless, I'm wondering if anyone has any further information
> regarding the update, and it's availability.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:15:19 PM

someone@nowhere.com wrote:
> I called Customer Service this morning and spoke with the stupidest
> woman I have ever encountered. After begging to be transferred to
> Tech Support, I waited 35 minutes to be told that there had been no
> new release or re-release if you wish.
>
> Being so pleased with that call, I loaded my gun, took aim at my foot,
> and called the 2 of the stores that are within a days drive from me.
> The both said that they have been told that whatever the problem was
> has been fixed and they are good-to-go on flashing the new software
> now. I tried to find out what the new version was so I could compare
> stories, but they had no clue.
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has had the new
> software installed in the past 24 hours. The weather has been a real
> upgrade- stopper for me here in So Cal, and the our and a half each
> way to the store sure is one trip I don't want to make if they are
> all hosed on the info.
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>

> "boxermansr" <box.er.man@no.com> wrote in
>
>> Has anyone heard anything further in regards to the firmware update
>> for the V710? I attempted (after Verizon CS confirmed that a store in
>> my area had it) to get it done on Sunday. I arrived at the store, and
>> was told that they were told to not flash the phones anymore (this
>> has also been mentioned online).
>>
>> According to Verizon CS they claim there is no 'hold' on the
>> software, and that it is and has been beneficial to those who have
>> obtained it. Today, I noticed that some are claiming that Verizon
>> has approved the flashing of the handsets once again. I decided to
>> call the same store that I know has it, and they stated that it
>> is/was still on hold, and that they have no idea when it will be
>> approved, or re-approved (they made sure to be very rude about it
>> too).
>>
>> Nonetheless, I'm wondering if anyone has any further information
>> regarding the update, and it's availability.
>>
>> Thanks

I never did get an answer at my local Vz store to the question: is it
software or is it firmware? In my thinking there is a significant
difference between software and firmware. Does anyone have a version
number?

February 23, 2005 12:23:18 AM

On an embedded device like a cell phone, the software (operating system,
etc) IS firmware.

JDB

February 23, 2005 12:57:56 AM

I don't know much about prolems with this phone. Is it so in need of
correction that it is worth so much of people's time to have the maintenance
applied?

<someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:axLSd.42708$uc.20094@trnddc03...
> I called Customer Service this morning and spoke with the stupidest
> woman I have ever encountered. After begging to be transferred to Tech
> Support, I waited 35 minutes to be told that there had been no new
> release or re-release if you wish.
>
> Being so pleased with that call, I loaded my gun, took aim at my foot,
> and called the 2 of the stores that are within a days drive from me.
> The both said that they have been told that whatever the problem was has
> been fixed and they are good-to-go on flashing the new software now. I
> tried to find out what the new version was so I could compare stories,
> but they had no clue.
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has had the new software
> installed in the past 24 hours. The weather has been a real upgrade-
> stopper for me here in So Cal, and the our and a half each way to the
> store sure is one trip I don't want to make if they are all hosed on the
> info.
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>

> "boxermansr" <box.er.man@no.com> wrote in
>
> > Has anyone heard anything further in regards to the firmware update
> > for the V710? I attempted (after Verizon CS confirmed that a store in
> > my area had it) to get it done on Sunday. I arrived at the store, and
> > was told that they were told to not flash the phones anymore (this has
> > also been mentioned online).
> >
> > According to Verizon CS they claim there is no 'hold' on the software,
> > and that it is and has been beneficial to those who have obtained it.
> > Today, I noticed that some are claiming that Verizon has approved the
> > flashing of the handsets once again. I decided to call the same store
> > that I know has it, and they stated that it is/was still on hold, and
> > that they have no idea when it will be approved, or re-approved (they
> > made sure to be very rude about it too).
> >
> > Nonetheless, I'm wondering if anyone has any further information
> > regarding the update, and it's availability.
> >
> > Thanks

February 23, 2005 4:42:29 AM

"Po-tate-o", "po-tot-o"!

There were several little problems that the new software (yes really
firmware but they don't know the difference) was intended to fix, but
more importantly, there are several new features that are being added.

Like I said some time ago, my bud at Rotomola said that this phone is
truely one of the easiest to expand and add updates to. In my opinion,
it's the best cell phone I've ever owned - and that says a lot!

"Alan" <alnogen@noname.com> wrote in

> I don't know much about prolems with this phone. Is it so in need of
> correction that it is worth so much of people's time to have the
> maintenance applied?
>
> <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I called Customer Service this morning and spoke with the stupidest
>> woman I have ever encountered. After begging to be transferred to
>> Tech Support, I waited 35 minutes to be told that there had been no
>> new release or re-release if you wish.
>>
>> Being so pleased with that call, I loaded my gun, took aim at my
>> foot, and called the 2 of the stores that are within a days drive
>> from me. The both said that they have been told that whatever the
>> problem was has been fixed and they are good-to-go on flashing the
>> new software now. I tried to find out what the new version was so I
>> could compare stories, but they had no clue.
>>
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=
>> - I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has had the new
>> software installed in the past 24 hours. The weather has been a real
>> upgrade- stopper for me here in So Cal, and the our and a half each
>> way to the store sure is one trip I don't want to make if they are
>> all hosed on the info.
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=
>> -
>>

>> "boxermansr" <box.er.man@no.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Has anyone heard anything further in regards to the firmware update
>> > for the V710? I attempted (after Verizon CS confirmed that a store
>> > in my area had it) to get it done on Sunday. I arrived at the
>> > store, and was told that they were told to not flash the phones
>> > anymore (this has also been mentioned online).
>> >
>> > According to Verizon CS they claim there is no 'hold' on the
>> > software, and that it is and has been beneficial to those who have
>> > obtained it. Today, I noticed that some are claiming that Verizon
>> > has approved the flashing of the handsets once again. I decided to
>> > call the same store that I know has it, and they stated that it
>> > is/was still on hold, and that they have no idea when it will be
>> > approved, or re-approved (they made sure to be very rude about it
>> > too).
>> >
>> > Nonetheless, I'm wondering if anyone has any further information
>> > regarding the update, and it's availability.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:59:53 AM

Well, about 4 hours later, and a fried phone, I now have the updated
firmware. All the stores now have the firmware where I am (as of about an
hour ago). Went to get it updated, and was told 'we have bad news' - I
already knew, and since I had backed my phonebook and everything up prior,
it was no big deal. Gave me a new phone, flashed it and I was on my way.
Time to test it out, and see what, if anything differs.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:59:54 AM

What is the latest version of software? I have 8700_01.30.8F and got my
phone yesterday.

boxermansr wrote:
> Well, about 4 hours later, and a fried phone, I now have the updated
> firmware. All the stores now have the firmware where I am (as of about an
> hour ago). Went to get it updated, and was told 'we have bad news' - I
> already knew, and since I had backed my phonebook and everything up prior,
> it was no big deal. Gave me a new phone, flashed it and I was on my way.
> Time to test it out, and see what, if anything differs.

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:53:47 AM

8700_01.40.0R

"DrJoel" <joelw135@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What is the latest version of software? I have 8700_01.30.8F and got my
> phone yesterday.
>
> boxermansr wrote:
>> Well, about 4 hours later, and a fried phone, I now have the updated
>> firmware. All the stores now have the firmware where I am (as of about an
>> hour ago). Went to get it updated, and was told 'we have bad news' - I
>> already knew, and since I had backed my phonebook and everything up
>> prior, it was no big deal. Gave me a new phone, flashed it and I was on
>> my way. Time to test it out, and see what, if anything differs.

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:05:29 PM

Is it important to upgrade?

boxermansr wrote:
> 8700_01.40.0R
>

> "DrJoel" <joelw135@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>What is the latest version of software? I have 8700_01.30.8F and got my
>>phone yesterday.
>>
>>boxermansr wrote:
>>
>>>Well, about 4 hours later, and a fried phone, I now have the updated
>>>firmware. All the stores now have the firmware where I am (as of about an
>>>hour ago). Went to get it updated, and was told 'we have bad news' - I
>>>already knew, and since I had backed my phonebook and everything up
>>>prior, it was no big deal. Gave me a new phone, flashed it and I was on
>>>my way. Time to test it out, and see what, if anything differs.

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:05:45 PM

I guess it depends on what issues you're having, and primarily if you're
willing to give up the ability to move/copy ringers/pictures FROM the
transflash card TO the phone (it's been disabled). The update fixes some of
the lockups and soft resets that occur at random, or when using mobile web,
as well as adding other stuff for various different cars that are BT enabled
and were not working correctly.

Here's a snip of the email I got from Verizon, detailing some of the changes
a little more:

This software includes running changes from the previous version,
8700_01.30.8F.
· Camera key disabled while GIN is running (previously causing conflicts)
· Camera images improved for still photos after megapixel capture
· File directories (e.g. music files, MP3 files) created via MAC OSX will
now be supported with the TransFlash memory card.
· Hot-swap will be supported for TransFlash memory card, customers can now
remove or insert the card without turning off the phone
· Title bar has been removed from browser to increase usable/viewable screen
Remove the ability to copy/move audio files from the TransFlash memory to
the phone
o Prevents user from copying audio files for use as a ringtone
o You can still listen to MP3 files from the T-Flash card but will not be
able to move them onto the handset to set as a ring tone.
· Allows the phone and Bluetooth headset to ring during an incoming call
· Sends signal, roam and battery indications to some Bluetooth carkits*
· Allows phonebook entry transfer to some Bluetooth carkits *
· Allows Contacts/Phonebook and Calendar/Datebook synchronization with
Bluetooth capable computers with optional Motorola Phone Tools software:

> Is it important to upgrade?
>
> boxermansr wrote:
>> 8700_01.40.0R
>>

>> "DrJoel" <joelw135@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>What is the latest version of software? I have 8700_01.30.8F and got my
>>>phone yesterday.

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:05:46 PM

boxermansr wrote:
> I guess it depends on what issues you're having, and primarily if
> you're willing to give up the ability to move/copy ringers/pictures
> FROM the transflash card TO the phone (it's been disabled). The
> update fixes some of the lockups and soft resets that occur at
> random, or when using mobile web, as well as adding other stuff for
> various different cars that are BT enabled and were not working
> correctly.
> Here's a snip of the email I got from Verizon, detailing some of the
> changes a little more:
>
> This software includes running changes from the previous version,
> 8700_01.30.8F.
> · Camera key disabled while GIN is running (previously causing
> conflicts) · Camera images improved for still photos after megapixel
> capture
> · File directories (e.g. music files, MP3 files) created via MAC OSX
> will now be supported with the TransFlash memory card.
> · Hot-swap will be supported for TransFlash memory card, customers
> can now remove or insert the card without turning off the phone
> · Title bar has been removed from browser to increase usable/viewable

> screen Remove the ability to copy/move audio files from the
> TransFlash memory to the phone

The v710 had the potential of being a great BT phone. This is just
another step in Verizon's corporate program to exact every possible
penney from its users, further degrading the value of the phone for the
user.

BTW, the * notations are probably important for BT-enabled auto owners.
Any information about them ?

> o Prevents user from copying audio files for use as a ringtone
> o You can still listen to MP3 files from the T-Flash card but will
> not be able to move them onto the handset to set as a ring tone.
> · Allows the phone and Bluetooth headset to ring during an incoming
> call · Sends signal, roam and battery indications to some Bluetooth
> carkits* · Allows phonebook entry transfer to some Bluetooth carkits *
> · Allows Contacts/Phonebook and Calendar/Datebook synchronization with
> Bluetooth capable computers with optional Motorola Phone Tools
> software:
>
> "DrJoel" <joelw135@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Is it important to upgrade?
>>
>> boxermansr wrote:
>>> 8700_01.40.0R
>>>

>>> "DrJoel" <joelw135@comcast.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:21:46 PM

The only reference to the *'d entries was:

Additional automobiles have been added to the compatibility matrix to
support Bluetooth in some car kits.

No further indication as to what any of the auto related fixes are for.

Verizon's claim is copyright something or another, in regards to allowing
the copy/move of audio (you can still copy pictures, and my understanding
video), but they all of a sudden fear that someone may just like making
their own ringers better than paying for Verizon's.

> boxermansr wrote:
>> I guess it depends on what issues you're having, and primarily if
>> you're willing to give up the ability to move/copy ringers/pictures
>> FROM the transflash card TO the phone (it's been disabled). The
>> update fixes some of the lockups and soft resets that occur at
>> random, or when using mobile web, as well as adding other stuff for
>> various different cars that are BT enabled and were not working
>> correctly.
>> Here's a snip of the email I got from Verizon, detailing some of the
>> changes a little more:
>>
>> This software includes running changes from the previous version,
>> 8700_01.30.8F.
>> · Camera key disabled while GIN is running (previously causing
>> conflicts) · Camera images improved for still photos after megapixel
>> capture
>> · File directories (e.g. music files, MP3 files) created via MAC OSX
>> will now be supported with the TransFlash memory card.
>> · Hot-swap will be supported for TransFlash memory card, customers
>> can now remove or insert the card without turning off the phone
>> · Title bar has been removed from browser to increase usable/viewable
>

>> screen Remove the ability to copy/move audio files from the
>> TransFlash memory to the phone
>
> The v710 had the potential of being a great BT phone. This is just
> another step in Verizon's corporate program to exact every possible penney
> from its users, further degrading the value of the phone for the user.
>
> BTW, the * notations are probably important for BT-enabled auto owners.
> Any information about them ?
>
>> o Prevents user from copying audio files for use as a ringtone
>> o You can still listen to MP3 files from the T-Flash card but will
>> not be able to move them onto the handset to set as a ring tone.
>> · Allows the phone and Bluetooth headset to ring during an incoming
>> call · Sends signal, roam and battery indications to some Bluetooth
>> carkits* · Allows phonebook entry transfer to some Bluetooth carkits *
>> · Allows Contacts/Phonebook and Calendar/Datebook synchronization with
>> Bluetooth capable computers with optional Motorola Phone Tools
>> software:
>>
>> "DrJoel" <joelw135@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Is it important to upgrade?

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:21:47 PM

boxermansr wrote:
> The only reference to the *'d entries was:
>
> Additional automobiles have been added to the compatibility matrix to
> support Bluetooth in some car kits.
>
> No further indication as to what any of the auto related fixes are
> for.
> Verizon's claim is copyright something or another, in regards to
> allowing the copy/move of audio (you can still copy pictures, and my
> understanding video), but they all of a sudden fear that someone may
> just like making their own ringers better than paying for Verizon's.

Well, I will state that making mp3 tones for the v265 and v710 is, well,
rewarding. Both phones are capable of so much more fidelity than GIN
poly tones offer from the services I've used. My wife, though, fails to
see the humor in Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries as her personal ringer
on my v265.

Verizon will hang on to their vision of a profit model as long as they
can, but they cannot continue to offer phones that are significantly
disabled from their OEM capabilities at the price of the fully-capable
units - v710 is a case in point. Besides, for anyone interested,
modding will become more effective in unlocking the capabilities; it's
impossible to keep the security/DRM/whatever genies in the bottle
forever.

>> boxermansr wrote:
>>> I guess it depends on what issues you're having, and primarily if
>>> you're willing to give up the ability to move/copy ringers/pictures
>>> FROM the transflash card TO the phone (it's been disabled). The
>>> update fixes some of the lockups and soft resets that occur at
>>> random, or when using mobile web, as well as adding other stuff for
>>> various different cars that are BT enabled and were not working
>>> correctly.
>>> Here's a snip of the email I got from Verizon, detailing some of the
>>> changes a little more:
>>>
>>> This software includes running changes from the previous version,
>>> 8700_01.30.8F.
>>> · Camera key disabled while GIN is running (previously causing
>>> conflicts) · Camera images improved for still photos after megapixel
>>> capture
>>> · File directories (e.g. music files, MP3 files) created via MAC OSX
>>> will now be supported with the TransFlash memory card.
>>> · Hot-swap will be supported for TransFlash memory card, customers
>>> can now remove or insert the card without turning off the phone
>>> · Title bar has been removed from browser to increase
>>> usable/viewable
>>

>>> screen Remove the ability to copy/move audio files from the
>>> TransFlash memory to the phone
>>
>> The v710 had the potential of being a great BT phone. This is just
>> another step in Verizon's corporate program to exact every possible
>> penney from its users, further degrading the value of the phone for
>> the user. BTW, the * notations are probably important for BT-enabled
>> auto
>> owners. Any information about them ?
>>
>>> o Prevents user from copying audio files for use as a ringtone
>>> o You can still listen to MP3 files from the T-Flash card but will
>>> not be able to move them onto the handset to set as a ring tone.
>>> · Allows the phone and Bluetooth headset to ring during an incoming
>>> call · Sends signal, roam and battery indications to some Bluetooth
>>> carkits* · Allows phonebook entry transfer to some Bluetooth
>>> carkits * · Allows Contacts/Phonebook and Calendar/Datebook
>>> synchronization with Bluetooth capable computers with optional
>>> Motorola Phone Tools software:
>>>
>>> "DrJoel" <joelw135@comcast.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:21:48 PM

Glad I didn't upgrade firmware, since I do use the transflash card. I
never had a problem hot swapping with the card.

Quaoar wrote:
> boxermansr wrote:
>
>>The only reference to the *'d entries was:
>>
>>Additional automobiles have been added to the compatibility matrix to
>>support Bluetooth in some car kits.
>>
>>No further indication as to what any of the auto related fixes are
>>for.
>>Verizon's claim is copyright something or another, in regards to
>>allowing the copy/move of audio (you can still copy pictures, and my
>>understanding video), but they all of a sudden fear that someone may
>>just like making their own ringers better than paying for Verizon's.
>

> Well, I will state that making mp3 tones for the v265 and v710 is, well,
> rewarding. Both phones are capable of so much more fidelity than GIN
> poly tones offer from the services I've used. My wife, though, fails to
> see the humor in Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries as her personal ringer
> on my v265.
>
> Verizon will hang on to their vision of a profit model as long as they
> can, but they cannot continue to offer phones that are significantly
> disabled from their OEM capabilities at the price of the fully-capable
> units - v710 is a case in point. Besides, for anyone interested,
> modding will become more effective in unlocking the capabilities; it's
> impossible to keep the security/DRM/whatever genies in the bottle
> forever.
>

>>"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>>>The v710 had the potential of being a great BT phone. This is just
>>>another step in Verizon's corporate program to exact every possible
>>>penney from its users, further degrading the value of the phone for
>>>the user. BTW, the * notations are probably important for BT-enabled
>>>auto
>>>owners. Any information about them ?

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:11:43 PM

Today I called 2 stores here in MA/NH area, and both said that they
hadn't yet fixed the problems so they didn't have the flash
available yet.

Carl

"boxermansr" <box.er.man@no.com> wrote in message
> Well, about 4 hours later, and a fried phone, I now have the updated
> firmware. All the stores now have the firmware where I am (as of about an
> hour ago). Went to get it updated, and was told 'we have bad news' - I
> already knew, and since I had backed my phonebook and everything up prior,
> it was no big deal. Gave me a new phone, flashed it and I was on my way.
> Time to test it out, and see what, if anything differs.

February 25, 2005 2:09:29 AM

Today I went to the local VZW Store with my v710 in hand for the new
software.

Everything went flawlessly, works perfectly, seems to be a good update.
Lots of fixes and improvements - more than the previous messages detailed.
For instance - graphics have changed quite a bit, and there are several new
pieces of artwork installed. This is quickly evident on the power up and
power down screens.

If your local rep is worth their salt I recommend getting the new software
installed. The update takes the phone to version 8700_01.40.0R, with PRL
50238.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:09:30 AM

But what about Transflash use? Any changes, can we still use it to
transfer files and apply as ringer or wallpaper?

someone@nowhere.com wrote:
> Today I went to the local VZW Store with my v710 in hand for the new
> software.
>
> Everything went flawlessly, works perfectly, seems to be a good update.
> Lots of fixes and improvements - more than the previous messages detailed.
> For instance - graphics have changed quite a bit, and there are several new
> pieces of artwork installed. This is quickly evident on the power up and
> power down screens.
>
> If your local rep is worth their salt I recommend getting the new software
> installed. The update takes the phone to version 8700_01.40.0R, with PRL
> 50238.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:23:03 PM

Transflash only works to transfer images now. Transfer of sounds, has been
removed altogether. Verizon claims it was done due to copyright issues
(people making their own MP3 ringers, and the record labels [really
VERIZON], not getting their cut of the money).

You can transfer (most) of the pictures that are on the phone now, to the
card (why anyone would want to transfer a picture of a bird is beyond me),
but it can be done.

> But what about Transflash use? Any changes, can we still use it to
> transfer files and apply as ringer or wallpaper?
>
> someone@nowhere.com wrote:
>> Today I went to the local VZW Store with my v710 in hand for the new
>> software.
>>
>> Everything went flawlessly, works perfectly, seems to be a good update.
>> Lots of fixes and improvements - more than the previous messages
>> detailed. For instance - graphics have changed quite a bit, and there
>> are several new pieces of artwork installed. This is quickly evident on
>> the power up and power down screens.
>>
>> If your local rep is worth their salt I recommend getting the new
>> software installed. The update takes the phone to version 8700_01.40.0R,
>> with PRL 50238.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:23:04 PM

I haven't run into any problems with my phone yet so I think I will not
upgrade the firmware yet. I will take a wait and see attitude, at least
for now. VZW should at least warn there customers that if you upgrade
the phone you will loose some additional functions.

boxermansr wrote:
> Transflash only works to transfer images now. Transfer of sounds, has been
> removed altogether. Verizon claims it was done due to copyright issues
> (people making their own MP3 ringers, and the record labels [really
> VERIZON], not getting their cut of the money).
>
> You can transfer (most) of the pictures that are on the phone now, to the
> card (why anyone would want to transfer a picture of a bird is beyond me),
> but it can be done.
>

> "DrJoel" <joelw135@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>But what about Transflash use? Any changes, can we still use it to
>>transfer files and apply as ringer or wallpaper?
>>
>>someone@nowhere.com wrote:
>>
>>>Today I went to the local VZW Store with my v710 in hand for the new
>>>software.
>>>
>>>Everything went flawlessly, works perfectly, seems to be a good update.
>>>Lots of fixes and improvements - more than the previous messages
>>>detailed. For instance - graphics have changed quite a bit, and there
>>>are several new pieces of artwork installed. This is quickly evident on
>>>the power up and power down screens.
>>>
>>>If your local rep is worth their salt I recommend getting the new
>>>software installed. The update takes the phone to version 8700_01.40.0R,
>>>with PRL 50238.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 8:14:53 PM

Most (not all) stores are letting customers know that they will loose the
ability to move/copy items (they don't specify whether its ringers/pictures)
to their phone with the flash card. I know all of the stores in my area made
it a point to mention that when I'd called about the updates.

>I haven't run into any problems with my phone yet so I think I will not
>upgrade the firmware yet. I will take a wait and see attitude, at least for
>now. VZW should at least warn there customers that if you upgrade the phone
>you will loose some additional functions.
>
> boxermansr wrote:
>> Transflash only works to transfer images now. Transfer of sounds, has
>> been removed altogether. Verizon claims it was done due to copyright
>> issues (people making their own MP3 ringers, and the record labels
>> [really VERIZON], not getting their cut of the money).
>>
>> You can transfer (most) of the pictures that are on the phone now, to the
>> card (why anyone would want to transfer a picture of a bird is beyond
>> me), but it can be done.
>>

>> "DrJoel" <joelw135@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>But what about Transflash use? Any changes, can we still use it to
>>>transfer files and apply as ringer or wallpaper?

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:08:56 AM

Called to confirm it was available.... ok. Then went in, and they tried
flash, but had errors on their computer port... Oh well... Called another
store in MA, and they said they could do it. Dropped it off, came back
a few hours later, and they said it didn't work due to computer errors....
I was pissed... Asked them to try again, and they said they would. Still
errors..... warned me my phone could lose everything, but I said it was
under warranty so now worry. They ok'ed through the errors, and
it ended up working fine! Nice.. persistence paid off...

Carl

<someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:J8tTd.14523$EL5.3845@trnddc05...
> Today I went to the local VZW Store with my v710 in hand for the new
> software.
>
> Everything went flawlessly, works perfectly, seems to be a good update.
> Lots of fixes and improvements - more than the previous messages detailed.
> For instance - graphics have changed quite a bit, and there are several
new
> pieces of artwork installed. This is quickly evident on the power up and
> power down screens.
>
> If your local rep is worth their salt I recommend getting the new software
> installed. The update takes the phone to version 8700_01.40.0R, with PRL
> 50238.

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:08:57 AM

I had mine done here in San Diego yesterday - went without a hitch. They did
two others while I was there as well....

Didn't lose anything except wallpaper - put back with a couple of
keystrokes....

Things seem to work well and "seems" to be faster......no matter what you're
doing....

PC

Carl S. Moore wrote:
>> Called to confirm it was available.... ok. Then went in, and they
>> tried to
>> flash, but had errors on their computer port... Oh well... Called
>> another store in MA, and they said they could do it. Dropped it
>> off, came back
>> a few hours later, and they said it didn't work due to computer
>> errors.... I was pissed... Asked them to try again, and they said
>> they would. Still errors..... warned me my phone could lose
>> everything, but I said it was under warranty so now worry. They
>> ok'ed through the errors, and
>> it ended up working fine! Nice.. persistence paid off...
>>
>> Carl
>>
>> <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Today I went to the local VZW Store with my v710 in hand for the new
>>> software.
>>>
>>> Everything went flawlessly, works perfectly, seems to be a good
>>> update. Lots of fixes and improvements - more than the previous
>>> messages detailed. For instance - graphics have changed quite a
>>> bit, and there are several new pieces of artwork installed. This
>>> is quickly evident on the power up and power down screens.
>>>
>>> If your local rep is worth their salt I recommend getting the new
>>> software installed. The update takes the phone to version
>>> 8700_01.40.0R, with PRL 50238.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 3:39:37 AM

The question remains what functions did they remove? Every time they do
a firmware upgrade we lose something. I don't want to lose the total
transflash function.

Proconsul wrote:
> I had mine done here in San Diego yesterday - went without a hitch. They did
> two others while I was there as well....
>
> Didn't lose anything except wallpaper - put back with a couple of
> keystrokes....
>
> Things seem to work well and "seems" to be faster......no matter what you're
> doing....
>
> PC
>
> Carl S. Moore wrote:
>
>>>Called to confirm it was available.... ok. Then went in, and they
>>>tried to
>>>flash, but had errors on their computer port... Oh well... Called
>>>another store in MA, and they said they could do it. Dropped it
>>>off, came back
>>>a few hours later, and they said it didn't work due to computer
>>>errors.... I was pissed... Asked them to try again, and they said
>>>they would. Still errors..... warned me my phone could lose
>>>everything, but I said it was under warranty so now worry. They
>>>ok'ed through the errors, and
>>>it ended up working fine! Nice.. persistence paid off...
>>>
>>>Carl
>>>
>>><someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 3:33:02 PM

With the new firmware, now when you charge the phone, the
backlight stays on at low level. Is there a way to set this option
off/on?

Carl

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> I had mine done here in San Diego yesterday - went without a hitch. They
did
> two others while I was there as well....
>
> Didn't lose anything except wallpaper - put back with a couple of
> keystrokes....
>
> Things seem to work well and "seems" to be faster......no matter what
you're
> doing....
>
> PC
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:11:36 PM

In article <J8tTd.14523$EL5.3845@trnddc05>, someone@nowhere.com wrote:

> If your local rep is worth their salt I recommend getting the new
> software installed. The update takes the phone to version
> 8700_01.40.0R, with PRL 50238.

I went to the store today to have mine updated. The tech told me that
it would take about a half hour, and that there was someone ahead of me,
so I should leave the phone with her and come back an hour later. I did
so. (She also told me about the loss of ability to transfer sounds from
the memory card to the phone's memory, and asked whether I still wanted
the upgrade.)

When I returned, she told me that the the firmware download didn't work,
and experience showed that trying to continue could fry the phone. She
then asked whether I wanted my phone back or a new phone with the
upgraded software, and also told me that if I took the new phone, I
would lose my stored photos. I took the new phone.

When I tried to upload the phone book to my Prius, every time I pressed
the "Transfer" button on the Prius, the phone would disconnect from the
car; canceling the transfer restored the connection.

When I got home, I tried mating the phone with a Bluetooth equipped
Macintosh; it mated OK, but the options on the Mac to exchange phone
book and calendar were disabled. It could be that the Mac's software
needs upgrading.

The printout she gave me said nothing about sharing address book with
cars, and said that synching with computers needed the Motorola tools
software, either by USB or by Bluetooth.

February 27, 2005 10:35:31 PM

With the new Firmware, when I run the Mobile web, I noticed 2 things.

1) there is no longer 2 choices for web after you press the left arrow key,
it goes directly to the VZW web. Seems slower on startup as well.

2) When I startup Mobile web, it always goes to the VZW homepage. In
previous flash, it would go to the last page you were on (for example, a
yahoo web link). Seems that the history is cleared each time mobile web is
started now. Is there any way to fix this? Settings? It is really annoying.

Carl

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> I had mine done here in San Diego yesterday - went without a hitch. They
did
> two others while I was there as well....
>
> Didn't lose anything except wallpaper - put back with a couple of
> keystrokes....
>
> Things seem to work well and "seems" to be faster......no matter what
you're
> doing....
>
> PC
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:47:37 AM

DrJoel wrote:
>> The question remains what functions did they remove? Every time they
>> do a firmware upgrade we lose something. I don't want to lose the
>> total transflash function.

I didn't notice anything lost......

PC
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:48:37 AM

Carl S. Moore wrote:
>> With the new firmware, now when you charge the phone, the
>> backlight stays on at low level. Is there a way to set this option
>> off/on?

I noticed that, too - but what's the problem??? Doesn't hurt anything......

PC
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:49:42 PM

Not huge problem, but I woke up the other night in dark
room, and I wasn't expecting it, thought my phone was
locked up during charge or something. Maybe marketing
new feature as night light....

> Carl S. Moore wrote:
> >> With the new firmware, now when you charge the phone, the
> >> backlight stays on at low level. Is there a way to set this option
> >> off/on?
>
> I noticed that, too - but what's the problem??? Doesn't hurt
anything......

> PC

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:32:04 AM

Carl S. Moore wrote:
| Not huge problem, but I woke up the other night in dark
| room, and I wasn't expecting it, thought my phone was
| locked up during charge or something. Maybe marketing
| new feature as night light....

I think it IS a feature, i.e., visual indicator that the phone is
charging......

PC

| "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
|| I noticed that, too - but what's the problem??? Doesn't hurt
|| anything......
|| PC
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 11:06:18 AM

Good point. I used to just look at the blinking battery signal
when I plugged in. This is better to know that it is still charging.

> I think it IS a feature, i.e., visual indicator that the phone is
> charging......
>
> PC
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:59:41 PM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:33:02 -0500, Carl S. Moore wrote:

> With the new firmware, now when you charge the phone, the
> backlight stays on at low level. Is there a way to set this option
> off/on?
>
> Carl

The Audiovox 9900 does this too.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:59:42 PM

Sensor Man wrote:
| On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:33:02 -0500, Carl S. Moore wrote:
|
|| With the new firmware, now when you charge the phone, the
|| backlight stays on at low level. Is there a way to set this option
|| off/on?
|| Carl
|
| The Audiovox 9900 does this too.d

I don't see a way to turn the backlight off under these circumstances -
personally, I think it's a "feature" that provides visual confirmation that
the phone is charging......a good idea!

PC
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:20:22 PM

It is on both the updated V710 and has always been that way with the
Audio 9900. With the Audio 9900, you also get the indicator light
glowing red till it's charged (at least mine does). I kind of like this
option. Was real happy to see that new option on my V710.

--
bossdragon
March 19, 2005 12:42:19 AM

I like it too. I was always having to open it just to make sure it was
charging.