Nintendo 3DS Gets Region Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
"So if you happen to be in Japan or in Europe on a vacation or a business trip, you won't be able to run a game purchase there on your 3DS."

Oh. How inconvenient.

"The high price of $300 of the 3DS suggests that especially enthusiast gamers may adopt the 3DS first and it has been especially this group that complained about region codes before as it forces them to wait for certain games and prevent the import of games from other geographies."

How very speculative of you... from the price, to who will buy it, to how they will react. I'm finding this article to be rather wack.

masterbinky

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
If the enthusiasts that desire imports are a part of the early adopters, the inclusion of region restrictions creates a market for circumvention methods/devices. I believe that developing a business motivation for others to reverse engineer the 3DS by such a stance is a poor idea if you want to keep away from another R4 situation.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
eh the region codes dont bother me

what does is the pricetag

i will HAPPILY wait for the revision due in two years, and as well as a pricedrop.

sadly, i know nintendo will still reap amazing profits because of the hype behind this machine, and i won't get the price drop that i want so bad.

....but here's hope to the psp2, and hope they severely undercut the 3ds, maybe even by $100... they will gain a massive amount of marketshare and fanbase, despite the fact they may not reap as much profit... maybe even work at a loss... i think it would be worth it on their end though

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
yea... I do not have that much problem of region code itself. The problem I have/had was that there are so many great games they relased in Japan will/would never get to released on this side of the ocean.. specially those tranditional/Japanese RPG games.
Without regin code.. I can still try to play the games by improving my Japanese skill or guess the words...
With region codes... I will either forget about them all together or have to but a Japanese version which can not play anything I buy at here (so inpractical)...
or... I will be forced to jailbreak it like many of my friends did for their Wii.

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
honestly i dont why the fxxk they want to do the region code ~
now i cant play japanese games ? alright probably a R4 3DS will solve the problem ~ wait and see

G

The DSi isn't region locked. I just loaded Ouendan 2 into my US system no problem.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I believe DSi exclusive games are region locked (eg. games that require the DSi to play.)

The region locking is a shame. I mean, I was planning on importing from the states anyhow (as it's a fair bit cheaper), but a lot of games I'd love to play from Japan I won't be able to.

The region locking will probably just promote hacking/homebrew..

Region code is a byproduct of the 90's and it should be a thing of the past. It doesn't help lower piracy because hey, why wait when you can play a region-free game that's been cracked?

Why companies still stick with it is something I will never understand.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]eh the region codes dont bother mewhat does is the pricetagi will HAPPILY wait for the revision due in two years, and as well as a pricedrop.sadly, i know nintendo will still reap amazing profits because of the hype behind this machine, and i won't get the price drop that i want so bad.....but here's hope to the psp2, and hope they severely undercut the 3ds, maybe even by $100... they will gain a massive amount of marketshare and fanbase, despite the fact they may not reap as much profit... maybe even work at a loss... i think it would be worth it on their end though[/citation]

do you honestly think that something that is quad core, reportedly producing graphics on par with the ps3, and portable, will be anywhere under 300$, really? what is the color of the sky in your world?

even at 400$ they may take a heavy loss on the psp2

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Region code is a byproduct of the 90's and it should be a thing of the past. It doesn't help lower piracy because hey, why wait when you can play a region-free game that's been cracked?Why companies still stick with it is something I will never understand.[/citation]

i am reminded of the re5 demo, which i specificly downloaded, burnt and put on my 360 because i really wanted it, at the time if that wasnt possible i was willing to take the system apart just hack the thing, good thing it didnt come to that.

chicagotechjunkie

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
This was the single most important factor for me in deciding whether or not to buy one. I live in the US, but grew up in Japan and am bi-lingual. I'd rather play my games in the original language.

The only chance I'll buy one now is if I hear stellar reviews of the games AND I am blown away by the 3D. Then and only then would would I buy a Japanese unit and import all my games.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Too bad. As a kid, I traveled between Japan and the United States extensively. It was awesome being able to run both US and Japanese games on my Japanese Gameboy, and the same for my American TurboGrafix 16 and TG-16 CD-ROM.

I really doubt I was hurting the bottom lines of Nintendo and NEC then. On the contrary, I was buying and playing more games then. If I was pigeon holed into just one region, I would have had half the game library.

SDSUMarcus01

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Yeah... my wife is Japanese and we go to Japan quite often. Both of us play US/Japanese DS games all the time. Guess we won't be buying 3DS anytime soon.

SDSUMarcus01

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Yeah... my wife is Japanese and we go to Japan quite often. Both of us play US/Japanese DS games all the time. Guess we won't be buying 3DS anytime soon.

I hate region codes.

For most people, it really does not make much difference. But I am an American working in Saudi Arabia. My friends and I get video content from all over. The difference between NTSC and PAT doesn't matter. Multi-system TV's are commonly available. But the region codes are another matter.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It'll be hacked eventually guys, no need to get your panties into a bunch. Just toss it into a drawer for about 3 months and someone will have a fix out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.