Relatively low FPS with gtx 680 for BF3?

prat391

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi

I have the following rig:

Intel Xeon e5506 x2
14 gigs of RAM
ASUS GTX 680
1 TB Seagate HDD
550w Cooler Master PSU
Windows 7 64bit ultimate

I'm averaging around 35-45 and it even dipped as low as 28 on many maps.
My settings are ultra, motion blur off, AA off.

I was told this card could average 60 on bf3 with ease?
Any chance something is wrong with my system?

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I think we can rule out the 680 as the culprit...pointing us next to....

BF3 (multiplayer) is very cpu dependant also! so, e5506 x2 ...a server processor .....2.13 GHz.....there may be a cpu bottleneck here - I'm not too familiar with this cpu --> can anyone else confirm?

There may be other issues, of course, but lets confirm the cpu queery 1st.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Most games don't utilize multiple cores well or at all, even though BF3 does to some extend, you still have a CPU that is meant to be used for serving multiple threads at once. You need stronger processing power per core, not a lot of cores. It's simply the internal architecture of your CPU(s) that is limiting your system.

what are your utilizations and temperatures?

this is precisely why nobody here will tell you to invest in server CPU for gaming applications, it's optimized for server tasks...

I'm fairly sure BF3 considers your second cpu non-existent, and running on 2.1ghz quad core the game doesn't do too well.

BF3 supports up to 4 cores, afaik, quite well. In fact it's preferred to have 4 cores for it. That's very good multicore support considering majority of the games today struggle to use 2 cores efficiently.

so no, there's no patch for multi-cpu support

the fix is to get a standard performance CPU rather than server CPU. The architecture is just not the same

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
No patches available to fix mutli CPU issues. The market isn't big enough to warrent development of a multicpu patch.

The only thing i could suggest is you get a new CPU which is more power per a core than you have now.