Compaq PS 2018 powersupply..

I have one of these for an older DeskPro, Part no 288468-001, and is not
working, of course.
Anyone who knows where to buy such old PSU's today ? Only 90watts i
belive, is that adequate for a Pentium 2 450 Mhz ?

The problem is that it will not "ignite", it just starts and stops 0,2
sec later... Where can i look for the cause, since i like to do som
soldering by my self ?

Any service-manual out there ?

Torbjorn.

You Might Try www.power-on.com

KC

"Torbjørn Morka" <tbm_ar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have one of these for an older DeskPro, Part no 288468-001, and is not
> working, of course.
> Anyone who knows where to buy such old PSU's today ? Only 90watts i
> belive, is that adequate for a Pentium 2 450 Mhz ?
>
> The problem is that it will not "ignite", it just starts and stops 0,2
> sec later... Where can i look for the cause, since i like to do som
> soldering by my self ?
>
> Any service-manual out there ?
>
> Torbjorn.

A 90w power supply is sufficient for a Pentium II system provided it is not
loaded with other peripheral devices. Before spending the money on a power
supply, do some further diagnostic work. A system shutting itself off after a
couple of seconds can be caused by any number of faulty components, the most
likely being the power supply, the motherboard, and the memory.

With Pentium II systems, Compaq used standard ATX power connectors, so you might
try connecting up another ATX power supply. You can use a power supply of any
size and wattage as long as its power connector reaches the motherboard's mating
connector. Simply detach the Compaq power supply, attach the other one and see
what happens. If the motherboard boots up and displays something on your
monitor, then, yes, the Compaq power supply is defective.

For ordering spare parts, which continent are you on? From your name, I'd guess
Scandanavia, likely Norway... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> A 90w power supply is sufficient for a Pentium II system provided it is not
> loaded with other peripheral devices. Before spending the money on a power
> supply, do some further diagnostic work. A system shutting itself off after a
> couple of seconds can be caused by any number of faulty components, the most
> likely being the power supply, the motherboard, and the memory.
>
> With Pentium II systems, Compaq used standard ATX power connectors, so you might
> try connecting up another ATX power supply. You can use a power supply of any
> size and wattage as long as its power connector reaches the motherboard's mating
> connector. Simply detach the Compaq power supply, attach the other one and see
> what happens. If the motherboard boots up and displays something on your
> monitor, then, yes, the Compaq power supply is defective.
>
> For ordering spare parts, which continent are you on? From your name, I'd guess
> Scandanavia, likely Norway... Ben Myers

Only 14 pins connector, not standard ATX i guess ?

Torbjorn.
(Norway)

Definitely different than ATX. Are there TWO connectors from the power supply,
side by side? If so, the connector style is AT or baby-AT, dating way back to
the mid-1980's... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> Definitely different than ATX. Are there TWO connectors from the power supply,
> side by side? If so, the connector style is AT or baby-AT, dating way back to
> the mid-1980's... Ben Myers

There are another cable with two connectors on, one for HDD and the
other for FDD, they are linked together.

Torbjorn.

> Ben Myers wrote:
> > Definitely different than ATX. Are there TWO connectors from the power
supply,
> > side by side? If so, the connector style is AT or baby-AT, dating way
back to
> > the mid-1980's... Ben Myers
> >
> There are another cable with two connectors on, one for HDD and the
> other for FDD, they are linked together.
>
> Torbjorn.

No, these would be two matching connectors, marked P8 & P9 I believe.

KC

hh

"With Pentium II systems, Compaq used standard ATX power connectors"

Ben, not on all of them. Many PII Presarios were definitely NOT standard ATX
connectors. And not all PII DeskPros were ATX standard, either. Not until
the PIIIs were you reasonably sure of getting a standard ATX supply.
HH

>A 90w power supply is sufficient for a Pentium II system provided it is not
> loaded with other peripheral devices. Before spending the money on a
> power
> supply, do some further diagnostic work. A system shutting itself off
> after a
> couple of seconds can be caused by any number of faulty components, the
> most
> likely being the power supply, the motherboard, and the memory.
>
> With Pentium II systems, Compaq used standard ATX power connectors, so you
> might
> try connecting up another ATX power supply. You can use a power supply of
> any
> size and wattage as long as its power connector reaches the motherboard's
> mating
> connector. Simply detach the Compaq power supply, attach the other one
> and see
> what happens. If the motherboard boots up and displays something on your
> monitor, then, yes, the Compaq power supply is defective.
>
> For ordering spare parts, which continent are you on? From your name, I'd
> guess
> Scandanavia, likely Norway... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:41:22 +0100, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Torbj=F8rn_Morka?=
> <tbm_ar@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have one of these for an older DeskPro, Part no 288468-001, and is not
>>working, of course.
>>Anyone who knows where to buy such old PSU's today ? Only 90watts i
>>belive, is that adequate for a Pentium 2 450 Mhz ?
>>
>>The problem is that it will not "ignite", it just starts and stops 0,2
>>sec later... Where can i look for the cause, since i like to do som
>>soldering by my self ?
>>
>>Any service-manual out there ?
>>
>>Torbjorn.

You've seen more of the oddball ones than I. Let me guess from what I've seen.
The DeskPro P-II systems use mostly standard ATX, even if the form factor is
unusual as with the DeskPro SFF. Some DeskPro P-III systems use a power supply
and power connector which looks like ATX, but is longer, almost like an Intel
server power supply. Then we have the definitely different AP-series
workstations, and I can't remember what their power requirements were, nor do I
really want to. Finally, Presarios, as you say. Lotsa strange shapes for parts
inside the Presarios I've stumbled across.

why Compaq ended up finding a merger "partner"? Compaq spare parts are always a
nightmare... Ben Myers

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:20:21 -0500, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"With Pentium II systems, Compaq used standard ATX power connectors"
>
>Ben, not on all of them. Many PII Presarios were definitely NOT standard ATX
>connectors. And not all PII DeskPros were ATX standard, either. Not until
>the PIIIs were you reasonably sure of getting a standard ATX supply.
>HH

hh

Agreed, except it had nothing to do with the merger, which Compaq had to do
in order to survive.
HH

> You've seen more of the oddball ones than I. Let me guess from what I've
> seen.
> The DeskPro P-II systems use mostly standard ATX, even if the form factor
> is
> unusual as with the DeskPro SFF. Some DeskPro P-III systems use a power
> supply
> and power connector which looks like ATX, but is longer, almost like an
> Intel
> server power supply. Then we have the definitely different AP-series
> workstations, and I can't remember what their power requirements were, nor
> do I
> really want to. Finally, Presarios, as you say. Lotsa strange shapes for
> parts
> inside the Presarios I've stumbled across.

> explanation
> why Compaq ended up finding a merger "partner"? Compaq spare parts are
> always a
> nightmare... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:20:21 -0500, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"With Pentium II systems, Compaq used standard ATX power connectors"
>>
>>Ben, not on all of them. Many PII Presarios were definitely NOT standard
>>ATX
>>connectors. And not all PII DeskPros were ATX standard, either. Not until
>>the PIIIs were you reasonably sure of getting a standard ATX supply.
>>HH

After dealing with DEC's and Compaq's spare parts messes for years, I have to
claim that part of the problem with Compaq's on-going viability was simply the
total mess of spare parts. Poor management of parts made product builds,
logistics, inventories, and who knows what else far more complicated than
necessary.

Both DEC and Compaq generated more spare parts than they knew what to do with.
For example, as I've gone thru several generations of Compaq boxes and seen the
same darn 3.5" floppy without front bezel and with the trademark rounded eject
button. My unscientific guess is that Compaq had at least 20 part numbers for
the same doggone PHYSICAL part. Each part number was generated for a different
model and/or different manufacturer, but they were all interchangable among all
manner of Compaq desktops and servers. Before its demise, DEC had created the
same sort of part numbering monstrosity, compounded by hyper-expensive packaging
of spare parts which rotted on the shelf in warehouses.

Pity that nobody ever took a broad look at spare parts from the vantage point of
20000 feet... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> After dealing with DEC's and Compaq's spare parts messes for years, I have to
> claim that part of the problem with Compaq's on-going viability was simply the
> total mess of spare parts. Poor management of parts made product builds,
> logistics, inventories, and who knows what else far more complicated than
> necessary.
>
> Both DEC and Compaq generated more spare parts than they knew what to do with.
> For example, as I've gone thru several generations of Compaq boxes and seen the
> same darn 3.5" floppy without front bezel and with the trademark rounded eject
> button. My unscientific guess is that Compaq had at least 20 part numbers for
> the same doggone PHYSICAL part. Each part number was generated for a different
> model and/or different manufacturer, but they were all interchangable among all
> manner of Compaq desktops and servers. Before its demise, DEC had created the
> same sort of part numbering monstrosity, compounded by hyper-expensive packaging
> of spare parts which rotted on the shelf in warehouses.
>
> Pity that nobody ever took a broad look at spare parts from the vantage point of
> 20000 feet... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:20:37 -0500, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Agreed, except it had nothing to do with the merger, which Compaq had to do
>>in order to survive.
>>HH

Anyone who knows how and where to obtain a schematic for this PSU ?

Torbjorn.