How long will my system last me for gaming

aaronsch101

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Processor: AMD FX-8150 8-Core AM3+
Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Motherboard
Graphics Card:: Powercolor Radeon HD6950 2GB (crossfireX)
Soundcard: SupremeFX X-Fi 2 built-in 8-Channel High Definition Audio

i am hopping it will last 3yr

DM186

Splendid
You forgot to say what your PSU brand and how many watts. The PSU is the most important hardwear in your system. With out it you have nothing and with a bad PSU well you are gambling with your rig.

But so far you are good to go for 2 to 3 years and maybe you might have to upgrade your GPU after 2 years and I said might does not mean you will have to. Good luck to you and nice rig.

it depends on how powerfull the next iteration of consoles are, and how well they sell...
if there as powerful as a high end pc then your looking at 2 years. "ie" a i5 3750 hd 7870 4gigs+ of ram.

if there equivalent to low end pc's "ie" a 3.0 core 2 quad and a 6770 with 1-2 gigs of ram then you can be sure that your system will last at least at least 5 years.
on average a pc has to be 10% more powerful to run the same games at comparable rez and settings because of windows taking up more resorces than the consoles ui.
the chances are they will have an initial build cost of around $600 then retail for $400 or less and take a loss on the first 3 years like the last gen did. i cant see sony or m.s taking a bigger hit and i dont see console gamers paying 1000 for there next console regardless of how powerful they are.

DM186

Splendid

You have a good PSU so no worries and like I said before 2 to 3 years because the technology is coming on faster with every year. Sure you could use that GPU for 5 years but it's the games.

They are getting better and better all the time requiring the top of the line GPUs. I just got my rig last July and my card are last generation cards and they are outdated already.

If the new cards coming out with 3 and 4 GB of Vram then you would have to agree they are not just doing it for eye candy. They are doing it because of the new stuff that will be coming out soon. Anyway I hope this helps and good luck on your rig. Cheers

dassix

Honorable
May 31, 2012
This is under the assumption you want to play the top tier of games in reference to graphic intensive types over the next few years?

Throwing in an SSD card if you can get one on sale might extend it longer.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
My old Core 2 Duo @ 3.3GHz, ddr2 ram and 6670 can play games just fine. Gotta tweak 'em and download a few .dlls, but I can get every modern game working fine on my compy.

Your system will last for as long as you want it to. Me? I wish I would have your system in five years. I'll probs have some 2nd hand computer from Craigslist. Again.

DM186

Splendid

I am just curious about if you play BF3 what are your settings? The reason I ask is I know some one who has a set up close to you and he has asked me to find out. Do you get any laging asuming you play the game?

If you don't play then I am sorry to bother you.