OC'ing an Athlon 700

G

I have an Athlon 700 on an Asus K7V motherboard. It has a 100MHz FSB and 133MHz memory bus. If i try to change the BIOS FSB setting from "Auto" (100MHz?) to even 101MHz, the damn thing locks up as soon as the Desktop loads. At 103MHz, I can't even get past POST. I am using the "Auto" core voltage setting (1.6V?), 250W power supply, and the original fan. I have heard so much about Athlon's being way overclockable. Have I just got a bad example of the CPU? I don't like the idea that even the default speeds are within 1% of the lockup speed!

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
250w PSU...that's a problem right there. Especially if it's
a classic athlon. 1.6v sounds wrong to me. I can't remember
what a 700 should be, but it should be safe to up the Vcore to 1.75. With more Core voltage you should be able to get the FSB higher I think. I assume ur M/B doesn't sync dram clock with fsb?? As in upping the 133ram clock in sync with the FSB increase.

"There's no such thing as gravity...the earth sucks"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 07/26/01 04:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The K7V was an early version of the Via chipset and it didn't overclock well. 107 was the average but I've found on an Athlon 600 I can't get much of anything stable above 105. 1.6 volts is the correct voltage.

The best way to overclock one of these earlier Athlons is to get a "Goldfinger" device. You have to break off the plastic case and there is a connector on top that the goldfinger device plugs into. This lets you change the multiplier and will let you overclock that way.

Scout