New to the group and have a question

I bought an older Compaq Deskpro indirectly off Ebay, but the dealer
can't give me much info about it, not even it's age.

The numbers on the cover are:

DPEND-P450/10.0/N4C-6 US
6848 CD47 B131

It's a Pent II system running Win98 and I wish to upgrade the RAM to 256 Mb.

The 64 Mb RAM chip installed is a Kingston KGM100x64C3/64. The chips I
bought from Upgradenation are 128Mb PC100 8NS 168pin SDRAM DIMM, but when I
plug them in I get no boot up, just beeps.

So how bad have I screwed up? Or can the bios be accessed and adjusted?
--

Budd
8 answers Last reply

    Odds are you bought Double Density RAM, which won't work.
    "Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@citlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > I bought an older Compaq Deskpro indirectly off Ebay, but the dealer
    > can't give me much info about it, not even it's age.
    >
    > The numbers on the cover are:
    >
    > DPEND-P450/10.0/N4C-6 US
    > 6848 CD47 B131
    >
    > It's a Pent II system running Win98 and I wish to upgrade the RAM to 256
    > Mb.
    >
    > The 64 Mb RAM chip installed is a Kingston KGM100x64C3/64. The chips I
    > bought from Upgradenation are 128Mb PC100 8NS 168pin SDRAM DIMM, but when
    > plug them in I get no boot up, just beeps.
    >
    > So how bad have I screwed up? Or can the bios be accessed and adjusted?
    > --
    >
    > Budd

    Also a small chance that the RAM is ECC registered, which won't work, too.

    If the OP bought DIMMs with 8 or fewer chips/DIMM, they're likely double
    densiity... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:18:50 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

    >Odds are you bought Double Density RAM, which won't work.
    >"Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@citlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message
    >> I bought an older Compaq Deskpro indirectly off Ebay, but the dealer
    >> can't give me much info about it, not even it's age.
    >>
    >> The numbers on the cover are:
    >>
    >> DPEND-P450/10.0/N4C-6 US
    >> 6848 CD47 B131
    >>
    >> It's a Pent II system running Win98 and I wish to upgrade the RAM to 256
    >> Mb.
    >>
    >> The 64 Mb RAM chip installed is a Kingston KGM100x64C3/64. The chips I
    >> bought from Upgradenation are 128Mb PC100 8NS 168pin SDRAM DIMM, but when
    >> plug them in I get no boot up, just beeps.
    >>
    >> So how bad have I screwed up? Or can the bios be accessed and adjusted?
    >> --
    >>
    >> Budd

    I checked the memory invoice and there's no mention of being DDRAM, just
    SDRAM.

    I had hoped I could make an adjustment in the bios to handle them.

    --

    Budd

    > Odds are you bought Double Density RAM, which won't work.
    > "Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@citlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > > I bought an older Compaq Deskpro indirectly off Ebay, but the dealer
    > > can't give me much info about it, not even it's age.
    > >
    > > The numbers on the cover are:
    > >
    > > DPEND-P450/10.0/N4C-6 US
    > > 6848 CD47 B131
    > >
    > > It's a Pent II system running Win98 and I wish to upgrade the RAM to 256
    > > Mb.
    > >
    > > The 64 Mb RAM chip installed is a Kingston KGM100x64C3/64. The chips I
    > > bought from Upgradenation are 128Mb PC100 8NS 168pin SDRAM DIMM, but
    when
    > > plug them in I get no boot up, just beeps.
    > >
    > > So how bad have I screwed up? Or can the bios be accessed and adjusted?
    > > --
    > >
    > > Budd

    Ok, I'm not very computer savvy, but I went thru the site at Upgradenation
    and bought chips that were recommended to me in another computer NG . . .or
    that's what I ordered, anyway.

    So what does "ECC registered" and "OP" mean?

    The chips I bought do have only 8 chips per side, but like I said, they were
    what I was told to order.

    If I could even get the RAM up to 128 Mb, it'd be a big help.

    TIA

    --

    Budd

    > Also a small chance that the RAM is ECC registered, which won't work, too.
    >
    > If the OP bought DIMMs with 8 or fewer chips/DIMM, they're likely double
    > densiity... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:18:50 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    > >Odds are you bought Double Density RAM, which won't work.
    > >"Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@citlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > >> I bought an older Compaq Deskpro indirectly off Ebay, but the dealer
    > >> can't give me much info about it, not even it's age.
    > >>
    > >> The numbers on the cover are:
    > >>
    > >> DPEND-P450/10.0/N4C-6 US
    > >> 6848 CD47 B131
    > >>
    > >> It's a Pent II system running Win98 and I wish to upgrade the RAM to
    256
    > >> Mb.
    > >>
    > >> The 64 Mb RAM chip installed is a Kingston KGM100x64C3/64. The chips I
    > >> bought from Upgradenation are 128Mb PC100 8NS 168pin SDRAM DIMM, but
    when
    > >> plug them in I get no boot up, just beeps.
    > >>
    > >> So how bad have I screwed up? Or can the bios be accessed and adjusted?
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Budd

    ECC registered is a type of DIMM used primarily in servers. "OP" is the
    Original Poster. That's you.

    8 chips on BOTH sides of each DIMM would be low density. 8 chips on ONE side
    would be high density. They have different electronic signalling
    characteristics, even tho they have the same physical connector.

    High density DIMMs are incompatible with older motherboards, usually Pentium II
    or Celeron. Low density DIMMs will work in any motherboard where the speed of
    the DIMM is compatible with the processor and front-side bus requirements. In
    other words, PC100 DIMMs will not work in a motherboard which requires PC133, or
    with a Pentium III processor which has 133MHz front-side bus... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:38:13 GMT, "Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@citlinkSPAM.net>
    wrote:

    >Ok, I'm not very computer savvy, but I went thru the site at Upgradenation
    >and bought chips that were recommended to me in another computer NG . . .or
    >that's what I ordered, anyway.
    >
    >So what does "ECC registered" and "OP" mean?
    >
    >The chips I bought do have only 8 chips per side, but like I said, they were
    >what I was told to order.
    >
    >If I could even get the RAM up to 128 Mb, it'd be a big help.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >--
    >
    >Budd

    >> Also a small chance that the RAM is ECC registered, which won't work, too.
    >>
    >> If the OP bought DIMMs with 8 or fewer chips/DIMM, they're likely double
    >> densiity... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:18:50 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >Odds are you bought Double Density RAM, which won't work.
    >> >"Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@citlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message

    >256

    >when

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    > ECC registered is a type of DIMM used primarily in servers. "OP" is the
    > Original Poster. That's you.

    Duh, I shoulda guessed that . . . .<BG> Ugh, me need more coffee . .

    > 8 chips on BOTH sides of each DIMM would be low density. 8 chips on ONE
    side
    > would be high density. They have different electronic signalling
    > characteristics, even tho they have the same physical connector.

    Ok, it looks they're high density chips. Darn.

    > High density DIMMs are incompatible with older motherboards, usually
    Pentium II
    > or Celeron. Low density DIMMs will work in any motherboard where the
    speed of
    > the DIMM is compatible with the processor and front-side bus requirements.
    In
    > other words, PC100 DIMMs will not work in a motherboard which requires
    PC133, or
    > with a Pentium III processor which has 133MHz front-side bus... Ben Myers

    I used a program called "aida32" to find my computer info and it says the
    system memory is "64 Mb (PC100 SDRAM)"

    Now I'm really getting confused . . .I think I'll go back to weaving baskets
    .. . .

    I emailed Kingston, told them what's onboard and asked for suggestions . .
    ..maybe this is what I should have done in the first place. The Compaq site
    can't seem to figure out what model I have but according to the aida32
    program, it was built in '01.

    Budd
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    The sticker on the case tells a lot:
    DPEND-P450/10.0/N4C-6 US
    6848 CD47 B131

    DeskPro EN, 450MHz Pentium II or III, 10GB hard drive, large desktop case. I
    suspect that the 2001 manufacturing date is perhaps a little too recent. More
    like '99 or '00. To get a closer approximation of the manufacturing date, take
    the cover off the case (again), and look for blue markings stamped on the cover
    or somewhere inside the case. The markings show the date when the component was
    manufactured.

    Compaq once had a lookup by serial number, such as 6848 CD47 B131. But HPaq
    seems to have taken that all away.

    Aida32 identifies the date of the BIOS, which may well have had an update
    produced in 2001, or at least date stamped 2001. (Some BIOS updates have poor
    quality control and the BIOS programmers do not change supposedly superficial
    things like date and version, but I suspect that Compaq was better than most in
    this department.)

    www.crucial.com continues to be an excellent source for buying memory on line
    according to many who have done so. If you can exchange the memory you now have
    for single-density, do so. As several of us have responded, fairly generic
    single density memory should work just fine... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:19:13 GMT, "Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@citlinkSPAM.net>

    >> ECC registered is a type of DIMM used primarily in servers. "OP" is the
    >> Original Poster. That's you.
    >
    >Duh, I shoulda guessed that . . . .<BG> Ugh, me need more coffee . .
    >>
    >> 8 chips on BOTH sides of each DIMM would be low density. 8 chips on ONE
    >side
    >> would be high density. They have different electronic signalling
    >> characteristics, even tho they have the same physical connector.
    >
    >Ok, it looks they're high density chips. Darn.
    >>
    >> High density DIMMs are incompatible with older motherboards, usually
    >Pentium II
    >> or Celeron. Low density DIMMs will work in any motherboard where the
    >speed of
    >> the DIMM is compatible with the processor and front-side bus requirements.
    >In
    >> other words, PC100 DIMMs will not work in a motherboard which requires
    >PC133, or
    >> with a Pentium III processor which has 133MHz front-side bus... Ben Myers
    >
    >I used a program called "aida32" to find my computer info and it says the
    >system memory is "64 Mb (PC100 SDRAM)"
    >
    >Now I'm really getting confused . . .I think I'll go back to weaving baskets
    >. . .
    >
    >I emailed Kingston, told them what's onboard and asked for suggestions . .
    >.maybe this is what I should have done in the first place. The Compaq site
    >can't seem to figure out what model I have but according to the aida32
    >program, it was built in '01.
    >
    >Budd

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Ben,

    You're a fount of knowledge! I thank you. With the model decrypted maybe I
    can find out more on the HP/Compaq site. I remember seeing something like
    how you re-wrote the model in a list on the site.

    Here's goes nothing! Thanks again.

    Budd

> [...]
    > >Pentium II
    > >> or Celeron. Low density DIMMs will work in any motherboard where the
    > >speed of
    > >> the DIMM is compatible with the processor and front-side bus
    requirements.
    > >In
    > >> other words, PC100 DIMMs will not work in a motherboard which requires
    > >PC133, or
    > >> with a Pentium III processor which has 133MHz front-side bus... Ben
    Myers

    > >I used a program called "aida32" to find my computer info and it says the
    > >system memory is "64 Mb (PC100 SDRAM)"
    > >
    > >Now I'm really getting confused . . .I think I'll go back to weaving
    baskets
    > >. . .
    > >
    > >I emailed Kingston, told them what's onboard and asked for suggestions .
    ..
    > >.maybe this is what I should have done in the first place. The Compaq
    site
    > >can't seem to figure out what model I have but according to the aida32
    > >program, it was built in '01.
    > >
    > >Budd

Compaq Computers