Change Phone Area Code To Improve Reception; Newbie Questi..

Last response: in Network Providers
February 23, 2005 10:17:55 AM

Hello:

Real newbie with this cel phone technology.
Have Verizon, and am in the metro west Boston area.

Other than how you are billed, and expenses, am I correct in that your
cel phone number really bears no relationship to whether you get
good reception, or not, in an area that is perhaps marginal ?

I guess I'm asking if that you are near a tower, any tower, (even if not
near your "home-base number")
you will get good reception probably, and if not near, you may not.

Is this basically true true, and how things work ?

Have moved from old house to which area code the phone was originally pegged
to a new place about 50 miles away.

Othwer than the plan and billing implications,
any technical reasons to change the number and area code for the phone ?

Thanks,
Bob
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:46:32 AM

Robert11 wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Real newbie with this cel phone technology.
> Have Verizon, and am in the metro west Boston area.
>
> Other than how you are billed, and expenses, am I correct in that your
> cel phone number really bears no relationship to whether you get
> good reception, or not, in an area that is perhaps marginal ?
>
> I guess I'm asking if that you are near a tower, any tower, (even if not
> near your "home-base number")
> you will get good reception probably, and if not near, you may not.
>
> Is this basically true true, and how things work ?
>
> Have moved from old house to which area code the phone was originally pegged
> to a new place about 50 miles away.
>
> Othwer than the plan and billing implications,
> any technical reasons to change the number and area code for the phone ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Yes.

But you should use the *228 thing every so often to tell your phone and
/ or the system about new / improved towers.

LB
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:11:09 PM

LB@notmine.com wrote:
> Robert11 wrote:
>>
>> Hello:
>>
>> Real newbie with this cel phone technology.
>> Have Verizon, and am in the metro west Boston area.
>>
>> Other than how you are billed, and expenses, am I
>> correct in that your
>> cel phone number really bears no relationship to whether
>> you get
>> good reception, or not, in an area that is perhaps
>> marginal ?
>>
>> I guess I'm asking if that you are near a tower, any
>> tower, (even if not near your "home-base number")
>> you will get good reception probably, and if not near,
>> you may not.
>>
>> Is this basically true true, and how things work ?
>>
>> Have moved from old house to which area code the phone
>> was originally pegged to a new place about 50 miles away.
>>
>> Othwer than the plan and billing implications,
>> any technical reasons to change the number and area code
>> for the phone ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>
> Yes.

NO. There is no technical reason other than plan and billing
implications to change your number.

-Quick
February 23, 2005 8:07:10 PM

Quick wrote:

> LB@notmine.com wrote:
> > Robert11 wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello:
> >>
> >> Real newbie with this cel phone technology.
> >> Have Verizon, and am in the metro west Boston area.
> >>
> >> Other than how you are billed, and expenses, am I
> >> correct in that your
> >> cel phone number really bears no relationship to whether
> >> you get
> >> good reception, or not, in an area that is perhaps
> >> marginal ?
> >>
> >> I guess I'm asking if that you are near a tower, any
> >> tower, (even if not near your "home-base number")
> >> you will get good reception probably, and if not near,
> >> you may not.
> >>
> >> Is this basically true true, and how things work ?
> >>
> >> Have moved from old house to which area code the phone
> >> was originally pegged to a new place about 50 miles away.
> >>
> >> Othwer than the plan and billing implications,
> >> any technical reasons to change the number and area code
> >> for the phone ?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Bob
> >
> > Yes.
>
> NO. There is no technical reason other than plan and billing
> implications to change your number.
>
> -Quick

What we have here is a failure to communicate <BG>
My Yes was answering the OP question "Am I correct..."
Your No agrees <VBG>

LB
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:51:31 PM

In news:421CFE8E.A4A66FB5@optonline.net,
LB@notmine.com <LB@notmine.com> typed:
> Quick wrote:
>>
>> LB@notmine.com wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>
>> NO. There is no technical reason other than plan and billing
>> implications to change your number.
>>
>> -Quick
>
> What we have here is a failure to communicate <BG>
> My Yes was answering the OP question "Am I correct..."
> Your No agrees <VBG>
>
> LB

The OP actually asked 3 questions - The answer to the first 2 is YES, The
answer to the last question is NO. Quick's no answer was followed by the
context of the question he answerer.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:32:08 AM

IMHO IIRC wrote:

> In news:421CFE8E.A4A66FB5@optonline.net,
> LB@notmine.com <LB@notmine.com> typed:
> > Quick wrote:

> >> NO. There is no technical reason other than plan and billing
> >> implications to change your number.
> >>
> >> -Quick
> >
> > What we have here is a failure to communicate <BG>
> > My Yes was answering the OP question "Am I correct..."
> > Your No agrees <VBG>
> >
> > LB
>
> The OP actually asked 3 questions - The answer to the first 2 is YES, The
> answer to the last question is NO. Quick's no answer was followed by the
> context of the question he answerer.

'nuff said:-))

LB
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:11:10 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:17:55 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

>Othwer than the plan and billing implications,
>any technical reasons to change the number and area code for the phone ?

If you use your phone for making calls only, probably not. But if you expect to receive calls, the cost to a POTS caller might be affected (local vs. regional vs. Long Distance) by any difference in the AC or exchange used.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:50:54 AM

Depends on the local carrier - here in TN, Sprint United started charging
long distance to all calls to cell phones. Needless to say, we use the house
phone even less than before. Because most phone companies change higher for
in state (or lata) calls, it might be cheaper to call a number assigned to a
different area code or exchange.

"Philip R. Mann" <prmlaw@NOSPAMnyc.rr.com> wrote in message

> If you use your phone for making calls only, probably not. But if you
> expect to receive calls, the cost to a POTS caller might be affected
> (local vs. regional vs. Long Distance) by any difference in the AC or
> exchange used.

February 25, 2005 10:05:22 AM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:50:54 GMT, "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com>
wrote:

>Depends on the local carrier - here in TN, Sprint United started charging
>long distance to all calls to cell phones.

Sorry, you need to tell the total true story and not your version of
it. Sprint United does not charge long distance to *all* cell phones
only cell phones with prefixes that are not local to the land line
making the call. If the land line is calling to a number that is
based out of the same local calling area they will not incur long
distance toll charges. If there are no cell phone providers in that
area then they'll have to pay long distance toll too. It is not true
though that the company will charge long distance to all cell phones.

February 25, 2005 6:52:58 PM

It may be different for you in Washington state - but in the TN region
covered by Sprint United for local service, all cell prefixes are now
considered out of the local area, so all calls to all cell prefixes are LD.
Walk into any cell store here (in TN), buy a phone and call it from your
home (~2 miles from the store and in the same zip code) - you'll be charged
LD for the call. I can call the next town free of charge... but I can't call
myself.

Sprint United in this area made the decision to bill all cell prefixes as LD
either at the same time number portability went into effect or within a few
months from that date, using number portability as the reason. Calls from my
home to my cell (sitting beside me in my home) were previously free and are
now billed my LD rate. (I used to use call forwarding to pass all calls to
the cell but turned it off because of the LD fees.)

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p ffu11pcppmvr0tc2d42upl58hh1einptc@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:50:54 GMT, "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Depends on the local carrier - here in TN, Sprint United started charging
>>long distance to all calls to cell phones.
>
> Sorry, you need to tell the total true story and not your version of
> it. Sprint United does not charge long distance to *all* cell phones
> only cell phones with prefixes that are not local to the land line
> making the call. If the land line is calling to a number that is
> based out of the same local calling area they will not incur long
> distance toll charges. If there are no cell phone providers in that
> area then they'll have to pay long distance toll too. It is not true
> though that the company will charge long distance to all cell phones.

February 26, 2005 6:53:43 AM

Maybe you could get a second land line and then port the number to your
wireless.
February 26, 2005 10:20:26 AM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:52:58 GMT, "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com>
wrote:

>It may be different for you in Washington state - but in the TN region
>covered by Sprint United for local service, all cell prefixes are now
>considered out of the local area, so all calls to all cell prefixes are LD.
>Walk into any cell store here (in TN), buy a phone and call it from your
>home (~2 miles from the store and in the same zip code) - you'll be charged
>LD for the call. I can call the next town free of charge... but I can't call
>myself.
>
>Sprint United in this area made the decision to bill all cell prefixes as LD
>either at the same time number portability went into effect or within a few
>months from that date, using number portability as the reason. Calls from my
>home to my cell (sitting beside me in my home) were previously free and are
>now billed my LD rate. (I used to use call forwarding to pass all calls to
>the cell but turned it off because of the LD fees.)

Well, that's only if there are no cell phone providers who have local
numbers for that area. If that's the case then yes all calls people
make from land lines will incur toll charges. If it's any other way
the Tennessee public utilities/service commission needs to know about
it since that's not legal.