Can the linksys WAG54G be updated to do real DMZ (Was Link..

In an earlier post to this NG I was dissapointed to hear that my
cheapo linksys wag54g does not implement a true DMZ and that I'd be
better off with port forwarding. Still annoyed that they can sell a
product like this adevertising DMZ..... ARGHHH, need to stop
ranting!!!

Anyway, I read somewhere that people are doing their own firmware
versions for linksys routers as they are linux based with the source
made available under GPL, for a change at least linksys get it right
here unlike a lot of other companies..... ARGHHH, need to stop
ranting!!!

So my question (finally) is can a homebrew firmware implement a real
DMZ on this product or is it a HW limitation ie its just a hub that
provides the 4 ports on the so called router.

Also anyone have a link to projects doing such work would be much
appreciated.

Thanks again Wayne
2 answers Last reply
More about linksys wag54g updated real link

    On 30 Mar 2004 23:50:26 -0800, Wayne Hamilton spoketh

    >In an earlier post to this NG I was dissapointed to hear that my
    >cheapo linksys wag54g does not implement a true DMZ and that I'd be
    >better off with port forwarding. Still annoyed that they can sell a
    >product like this adevertising DMZ..... ARGHHH, need to stop
    >ranting!!!
    >
    >Anyway, I read somewhere that people are doing their own firmware
    >versions for linksys routers as they are linux based with the source
    >made available under GPL, for a change at least linksys get it right
    >here unlike a lot of other companies..... ARGHHH, need to stop
    >ranting!!!
    >
    >So my question (finally) is can a homebrew firmware implement a real
    >DMZ on this product or is it a HW limitation ie its just a hub that
    >provides the 4 ports on the so called router.
    >
    >Also anyone have a link to projects doing such work would be much
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks again Wayne

    No. A real DMZ requires it's own interface. Since there's only two
    interfaces on the WAG54G, you're SOL.

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    > No. A real DMZ requires it's own interface. Since there's only two
    > interfaces on the WAG54G, you're SOL.

    Thanks Lars

Firewalls DMZ Linksys Networking