Can the linksys WAG54G be updated to do real DMZ (Was Link..

Last response: in Networking
March 31, 2004 3:50:26 AM

In an earlier post to this NG I was dissapointed to hear that my
cheapo linksys wag54g does not implement a true DMZ and that I'd be
better off with port forwarding. Still annoyed that they can sell a
product like this adevertising DMZ..... ARGHHH, need to stop
ranting!!!

Anyway, I read somewhere that people are doing their own firmware
versions for linksys routers as they are linux based with the source
made available under GPL, for a change at least linksys get it right
here unlike a lot of other companies..... ARGHHH, need to stop
ranting!!!

So my question (finally) is can a homebrew firmware implement a real
DMZ on this product or is it a HW limitation ie its just a hub that
provides the 4 ports on the so called router.

Also anyone have a link to projects doing such work would be much
appreciated.

Thanks again Wayne
Anonymous
March 31, 2004 3:28:26 PM

On 30 Mar 2004 23:50:26 -0800, Wayne Hamilton spoketh

>In an earlier post to this NG I was dissapointed to hear that my
>cheapo linksys wag54g does not implement a true DMZ and that I'd be
>better off with port forwarding. Still annoyed that they can sell a
>product like this adevertising DMZ..... ARGHHH, need to stop
>ranting!!!
>
>Anyway, I read somewhere that people are doing their own firmware
>versions for linksys routers as they are linux based with the source
>made available under GPL, for a change at least linksys get it right
>here unlike a lot of other companies..... ARGHHH, need to stop
>ranting!!!
>
>So my question (finally) is can a homebrew firmware implement a real
>DMZ on this product or is it a HW limitation ie its just a hub that
>provides the 4 ports on the so called router.
>
>Also anyone have a link to projects doing such work would be much
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks again Wayne

No. A real DMZ requires it's own interface. Since there's only two
interfaces on the WAG54G, you're SOL.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
April 1, 2004 5:55:45 AM

> No. A real DMZ requires it's own interface. Since there's only two
> interfaces on the WAG54G, you're SOL.

Thanks Lars
!