A few simple questions about ocing

G

What the hell is POSTing? people always say it posted.. and so forth but what is that?

And what happens when you [-peep-] with something and you go too far and then it doesn't start.. do u have to take out the bios chip? how do you get it back to the defaults?

Thnx

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!

POST = <b>P</b>ower <b>O</b>n <b>S</b>elf <b>T</b>est

This procedure is stored in the system ROM (BIOS). It conducts a self test of the mobo, discs, keyboard, memory etc. If it finds a fault, it will display an error message and stop. A cold boot (Starting with power button) will run all these tests. I think a warm boot (reset switch, ctrl-alt-del) doesn't run all of the tests. Error messages can be "no keyboard detected" etc.

For the second question:

It depends on what you've [peeped] with. Some systems require the CMOS to be cleared (usually a forgotten password), which means setting jumper (JP14 in some systems) to position 2. Other systems can be reset with a key on boot. Check your manual.

Remember to write down your settings, so you can revert to them later if necessary.

P.S. A lot of the posts in this forum refer to overclocking and <i>posting</i> is usually the first good sign of the hardware coping with the tweaks.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>