A7M266 <- How can you over clock this board?

G

im pritty new to this stuff but i think you can change the FSB (front side bus) in bios :)

o0oSPuNKiEo0o

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2001
Well you can change the FSB in the Bios, but my memory is Micron 2.5CA and I have it set to 2.0CA and if I OC the FSB the computer slows down... So in Tom's latest article it says that it's better to have memory with a lower lag then a higher frequency right? I could try doing that and raising the voltage.. hmm.. maybe I will.

Thanks though..
o0oSPuNKiEo0o

G

First up you CAN'T change the multiplier on the A7M266, without doing some soldering etc I beleive (can't remember the website I saw that on, sorry). But you can change the FSB, as follows:

First make sure you're running in jumperfree mode (consult your manual to change the "JEN" jumper to jumperfree and make sure all the DIP switches are set to off) If you don't have the manual download it from the ASUS website.
Once this is done go to the BIOS and adjust the FSB.

I managed to get the FSB as high as 148Mhz at cas2 (1.4Ghz @ 1.55Ghz). But normally I run at 133Mhz, since the A7M266 doesnt have a multiplier for the AGP and PCI bus. Make sure all voltage settings are at their max.

btw spunkie i'm using corsair pc2400 cas2.

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Don't you think they will have to allow us to set the multiplier for the 1.5Ghz+ processors? That A7V133 was a piece of cake for overclocking.
I have CL=2.5 PC2100 Micron . Is there any way to change the clock settings safely on these? I don't understand 2 vs. 2.5.

G

Yes, they should support faster cpus but the multiplier will still be locked. It's unlikely they'll change that now, but here's hoping. They probably should make the AGP/PCI bus multipliers adjustable as well since the FSB is adjustable. I dont like the thought of my agp bus running at 15% higher than it should be...

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
the way to get the multiplier up is to use the pencil trick to create the correct multiplier on the chip. The correct use of L1 bridges will give you the ability to set your multiplier directly on the chip and work around the ASUS limitation.

Check the cpu guide some months back for the explanation on how to 'decode' the L1 bridges.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
see <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/index.html" target="_new">link</A>

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>That's a nice link - but <A HREF="http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/workshop/socketa/socketa_resistors.html" target="_new"><font color=red>this ones even better....</A><font color=blue> It tells you exactly how to modify the proc anyway you want. Very clean.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Peach,
that is a great site. Is that page for Athlons too or just Durons. The processor on that site was a Duron. Not sure if it makes any difference.
So is anyone overclocking this way with the A7M266 and what voltages are you using and what results are you getting?
Allen

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
there is one guy I know joacimbohive or something - posts quite often - does this with a7m266 and a vapochill for 1.6G

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Neat gadget, but $50 is a lot to spend -that is half of a new board that makes it even easier - in the BIOS. (I saw KT7A-RAID boards at newegg once for $99. They were refurbished but who cares - thats a damn good deal.)

BTW, ahallada, <A HREF="http://www.plycon.com/goldsock.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>make it a link next time</A><font color=blue>. Thanks, anyway though.

G

I compared the info your peach's link to that on my proc. The only thing different was that the middle (or third) L7 brigde was open. Anyone know what L7 controls?

| | O | | . <----L7 bridges

Think I'm gonna go for 800 @ 1200 and cool this puppy with the Aquastelth II.

Once you lick the lollypop of mediocrity, you suck forever.

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Hey Peach,
Well I ordered the "expensive" Golden Socket Gadget. Why would I want to buy some cheap motherboard and go back to SDRAM? And 50.00 is not exactly half the price of a 165.00 A7M266 motherboard.
As far as the links go, I didn't realize that my HTML was disabled. Lets see now.............. www.BlondesHaveMoreFun.com Just kidding. Hea hea.
Allen

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>The L7 bridge controls the default CPU voltage core.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>allahada, dude, amigo, sorry. I didn't mean to imply "expensive" for everybody - was thinking about people who had an older mobo, and looking for cheap upgrades. I totally forgot that the A7M266 (<i>nice mobo] BTW</i>) had that same problem. (and obviously wasn't paying attention to the thread - sometimes one feels like a real dumbass).

The golden socket looks like a very good combo with the A7m266 as you accurately answered o0oSPuNKiEo0o original question.

I guess I was just in my own little world....

And sorry to flame you over the link crap. just a pet peeve of mine.....

Blondes' have more fun... hmmm, that reminds: <font color=red>What does a blonde call hair dye....
<font color=white>Artificial intelligence.

G

So where might one go to for a conductive (liquid) pen for use in place of a pencil?

Once you lick the lollypop of mediocrity, you suck forever.

G

Try a place like Radio Shack or electronics parts store for silver conductive pen, best choice. Is used for broken circuitry on pcb's.

Other type is what you would use to patch up the rear demister in your car, not quite as good allthough very much cheaper than a silver pen!

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
No Problema Peach,
I've never been in a forum where the HTML wasn't automatically marked up. What is up with that? So you have to type in those brackets and the language everytime?
And what the heck is the answer to your question, the suspense is killing me. :)
Allen

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Ah I see the answer, barely. Maybe it is my new Nvidia download update or something but that was hard to read.

Hey I think I have that HTML figured out so here is a stab. For the best watercooler I have ever seen check this out. I had this idea a couple of weeks ago, but it seems someone always beats me to it. Oh well. You are going to love this:

<A HREF="http://www.leufkentechnologies.com/page23.html" target="_new">http://www.leufkentechnologies.com/page23.html</A>

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue><i>Pen</i> - why bother - .5 mm "2B" soft pencil lead is very conductive

<i>Answer</i> - highlight it with your mouse/cursor. You would be surprised what text you pull up on pages that have some text as same color as background and can only see when copy/clipping or highlighting. I did that so you wouldn't see the answer before you wanted to.

<i>water cooling</i> - hmm, yeah maybe, I am beginning to think that oc beyond a good heat sink isn't worth it. I can go up to ~1.4 on a 1.2 with air alon (once got it at 1.595 - stable - but was wiered - never got it to do that again). I think vapochill is the most hard core you'll see and Tom maxed out with a 1.2 at 1.6. That extra 200 mhz isn't owrth the trouble I don't think.