Carmack: Nvidia's Project Denver Will Be Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Nvidia is awesome. I enjoy seeing Carmack's name surface as he approves technology others are contributing. Is Carmack going to contribute anything this decade? Has Been!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]campb292[/nom]Nvidia is awesome. I enjoy seeing Carmack's name surface as he approves technology others are contributing. Is Carmack going to contribute anything this decade? Has Been![/citation]

Let's see a list of your contributions, asshat.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]campb292[/nom]Nvidia is awesome. I enjoy seeing Carmack's name surface as he approves technology others are contributing. Is Carmack going to contribute anything this decade? Has Been![/citation]

Dude, this decade's only 13 days old. Cut him some slack :)

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Let's see a list of your contributions, asshat.[/citation]he contributed that post which is more than most =0

G

"It will be interesting to see what Carmack and id Software does in the future in regards to support for the new Project Denver hardware."

John Carmack says that he likes stuff all the time, it doesn't mean he's going to put any effort towards supporting it commercially. He "big ups" various Linux projects all the time, but he sure hasn't done much for Linux to date.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I sense sarcasm, but since you brought it up, the decade is already two weeks old. Where is Rage II for iOS?

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I like this quote, "AMD will be able to change the ecosystem and score points in the global notebook market if it moves faster." this is quite true.

G

[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]he contributed that post which is more than most =0[/citation]

Actually, the current decade began on January 1, 2010.

G

[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Dude, this decade's only 13 days old. Cut him some slack[/citation]

^^Wrong quote before, fail.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Dude, this decade's only 13 days old. Cut him some slack[/citation]

Carmack wants to sell his software and right now it's selling on mobiles so this is in his interest. There are already arm producers so nvidia should just focus on what they're good at.

scoobydooX64

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
One thing we saw in microchip sector last year was ARM completely caught Intel off-grad.Now AMD with their APU and new ARM support and Nvidia entering to the CPU sector with ARM core left Intel and precious X86 in cold.Finally Intel caught up in their own jug.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
We were expecting CPUs from nVidia for at least 5 years now, but due to Intel's patents and licensing, this was never going to happen on x86.

In light of this, let me just say that Windows committing to ARM is ABSOLUTELY HUGE! Ladies and gentlemen, I foresee bright futures ahead, because Windows on ARM means gaming on ARM. And where gaming is, geeks follow. Can't freaking wait to ditch ye ole' x86.

Here's to change!

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Let's see a list of your contributions, asshat.[/citation]

Asshat, good call! Im still mopping the mountain dew off my keyboard

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]At least they have a normal name for a chip now. Lookin forward to it, and I'm loving my 580 Tri-SLI with liquid cooling[/citation]

since when is denver a normal name ???? LOL Denver is my first name , and in all 31 years of my life i have only known one other person with that name LOL

blackthorne

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Lets see what the urban dictionary has to say about that. Asshat - One who has their head up their ass. Thus wearing their ass as a hat.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"The Macintosh ecosystem was moved from PowerPC to x86 successfully, why shouldn't such a move work for Windows?"

Much. Much. Different. For one, Macs are already a closed platform. Much smaller market share. Remember, Intel was trying to migrate away from x86 back before enterprising AMD came up with x64 to extend the life of the architecture.

Since the PC is so open, theres nothing stopping a competitor (intel/amd) from rolling up its sleeves and creating a kickass x86-64 chip which would likely dissuade a lot of adventurous early ARM adopters from even bothering to try and make the transition. Apple made the decision to ditch PPC, and that was that, as they control the hardware and OS of their platform solely.

Also, IBM/Motorola's lost revenue would pale in comparison to Intel/AMD if the PC platform completely ditched the x86/64 architecture. So, while IBM/Motorola didnt put a whole lot of effort into meeting Apple's demands with chip design to keep macs on PPC, you could bet your life Intel/AMD would fight to keep x86-64 on top at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS