Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Carmack: Nvidia's Project Denver Will Be Good

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
January 14, 2011 12:26:09 AM

At least they have a normal name for a chip now.

Lookin forward to it, and I'm loving my 580 Tri-SLI with liquid cooling :) 
January 14, 2011 12:32:22 AM

Nvidia is awesome. I enjoy seeing Carmack's name surface as he approves technology others are contributing. Is Carmack going to contribute anything this decade? Has Been!
Related resources
January 14, 2011 12:43:59 AM

campb292Nvidia is awesome. I enjoy seeing Carmack's name surface as he approves technology others are contributing. Is Carmack going to contribute anything this decade? Has Been!

Let's see a list of your contributions, asshat.
January 14, 2011 1:05:02 AM

campb292Nvidia is awesome. I enjoy seeing Carmack's name surface as he approves technology others are contributing. Is Carmack going to contribute anything this decade? Has Been!

Dude, this decade's only 13 days old. Cut him some slack :) 
January 14, 2011 1:16:01 AM

jkflipflop98Let's see a list of your contributions, asshat.
he contributed that post which is more than most =0
Anonymous
January 14, 2011 1:26:16 AM

"It will be interesting to see what Carmack and id Software does in the future in regards to support for the new Project Denver hardware."

John Carmack says that he likes stuff all the time, it doesn't mean he's going to put any effort towards supporting it commercially. He "big ups" various Linux projects all the time, but he sure hasn't done much for Linux to date.
January 14, 2011 2:47:47 AM

I sense sarcasm, but since you brought it up, the decade is already two weeks old. Where is Rage II for iOS?
January 14, 2011 5:53:58 AM

I like this quote, "AMD will be able to change the ecosystem and score points in the global notebook market if it moves faster." this is quite true.
January 14, 2011 6:35:05 AM

market CPU/GPU will boom ! ARM NIVIDIA / APU AMD ?
Anonymous
January 14, 2011 6:57:00 AM

phatboehe contributed that post which is more than most =0

Actually, the current decade began on January 1, 2010.
Anonymous
January 14, 2011 6:58:57 AM

burnley14Dude, this decade's only 13 days old. Cut him some slack

^^Wrong quote before, fail.
January 14, 2011 7:06:00 AM

burnley14Dude, this decade's only 13 days old. Cut him some slack

Carmack wants to sell his software and right now it's selling on mobiles so this is in his interest. There are already arm producers so nvidia should just focus on what they're good at.
January 14, 2011 8:09:47 AM

One thing we saw in microchip sector last year was ARM completely caught Intel off-grad.Now AMD with their APU and new ARM support and Nvidia entering to the CPU sector with ARM core left Intel and precious X86 in cold.Finally Intel caught up in their own jug.
January 14, 2011 8:14:23 AM

so i wait for bechmark review
January 14, 2011 9:39:22 AM

We were expecting CPUs from nVidia for at least 5 years now, but due to Intel's patents and licensing, this was never going to happen on x86.

In light of this, let me just say that Windows committing to ARM is ABSOLUTELY HUGE! Ladies and gentlemen, I foresee bright futures ahead, because Windows on ARM means gaming on ARM. And where gaming is, geeks follow. Can't freaking wait to ditch ye ole' x86.

Here's to change!
January 14, 2011 9:51:40 AM

The Macintosh ecosystem was moved from PowerPC to x86 successfully, why shouldn't such a move work for Windows?
January 14, 2011 10:08:23 AM

Asshat, good call! Im still mopping the mountain dew off my keyboard
January 14, 2011 10:34:10 AM

polly the parrotAt least they have a normal name for a chip now. Lookin forward to it, and I'm loving my 580 Tri-SLI with liquid cooling

since when is denver a normal name ???? LOL Denver is my first name , and in all 31 years of my life i have only known one other person with that name LOL
January 14, 2011 10:55:56 AM

Alright, Carmack.. now go back to your iphone games before Steve finds out about this.
January 14, 2011 11:19:02 AM

Quote:
highly respected designer

The early 1990s called and they want their respect back.
January 14, 2011 11:21:51 AM

This is the same guy that said that DirectX was worthless right?
January 14, 2011 11:40:34 AM

Lets see what the urban dictionary has to say about that. Asshat - One who has their head up their ass. Thus wearing their ass as a hat.
January 14, 2011 11:42:51 AM

"The Macintosh ecosystem was moved from PowerPC to x86 successfully, why shouldn't such a move work for Windows?"

Much. Much. Different. For one, Macs are already a closed platform. Much smaller market share. Remember, Intel was trying to migrate away from x86 back before enterprising AMD came up with x64 to extend the life of the architecture.

Since the PC is so open, theres nothing stopping a competitor (intel/amd) from rolling up its sleeves and creating a kickass x86-64 chip which would likely dissuade a lot of adventurous early ARM adopters from even bothering to try and make the transition. Apple made the decision to ditch PPC, and that was that, as they control the hardware and OS of their platform solely.

Also, IBM/Motorola's lost revenue would pale in comparison to Intel/AMD if the PC platform completely ditched the x86/64 architecture. So, while IBM/Motorola didnt put a whole lot of effort into meeting Apple's demands with chip design to keep macs on PPC, you could bet your life Intel/AMD would fight to keep x86-64 on top at this point.
January 14, 2011 12:16:54 PM

mayankleoboy1CPU, PPU ON GPU. AMD'S APU GONNA LOOSE.

intel will be dead then :D 
January 14, 2011 2:21:39 PM

Only "good"? That's doesn't sound too impressive.
January 14, 2011 2:59:43 PM

captorofsinActually, the current decade began on January 1, 2010.

So, you start counting from 0 to 9? I thought it was 1 to 10.

Cheers!
January 14, 2011 3:02:38 PM

Well, let's say if this CPU turns out to be as good as at least Intel's lower segment offerings, consumers will have increased number of options.
January 14, 2011 3:50:17 PM

I just hope that the ARM processor doesn't cost a leg
January 14, 2011 3:51:19 PM

PS All base 10 counting is 0 to 9
January 14, 2011 4:28:42 PM

"compared to the success of Nvidia's current Tegra 2 hotness"

Not to be the reality check... but WHAT hotness? As a business plan, the Tegra seems to have been a dismal failure... If memory serves, wasn't it released a year ago with almost zero adoption?

While things might be changing a bit now as devices actually seem to be hitting the market that use it, I see AMD being the smart one by letting Nvidia test the pool first to see if it's safe or see if they get eaten by sharks...
January 14, 2011 6:47:20 PM

Decade's begin on the 1. There was no year zero. The first decade of the current calendar was years 1-10. The second was 11-20, and so on. The idea that the decade or millennium started in 2010 or 2000 is due to our obsession with even numbers and lack of understanding, in general, of the calendar and basic math.
January 14, 2011 7:43:24 PM

egowhip69"compared to the success of Nvidia's current Tegra 2 hotness"Not to be the reality check... but WHAT hotness? As a business plan, the Tegra seems to have been a dismal failure... If memory serves, wasn't it released a year ago with almost zero adoption?While things might be changing a bit now as devices actually seem to be hitting the market that use it, I see AMD being the smart one by letting Nvidia test the pool first to see if it's safe or see if they get eaten by sharks...

every other ARM manufacturer rolls his own devices on the chip (some even sell them to partners). Nvidia would have to come up with a PDA/smartphone/tablet of their own.

anyway I am looking forward to this move. at least some fresh and new direction is opening. and MS supporting arm in the next windows version is even better news.
January 14, 2011 9:03:15 PM

ARM is nice and efficient and all, but is still a 32-bit only architecture, which is fine in the consumer space, for now I suppose, but not so much in the enterprise, which Intel pretty much dominates.
January 14, 2011 10:39:36 PM

It amazes me that people are actually excited about ARM. Why would anyone want ARM for Windows? Windows is the best because it pack the most technology and supports the most apps. Windows on ARM will only support apps recompiled for slower ARM. Who wants that? Not me. Intel has the best chips. The fastest chips. I would be more excited about a phone that runs Windows on an intel chip. The focus should be on battery technology not moving us to a platform where the device makers control all the apps.
January 14, 2011 11:06:50 PM

John Carmack's support is a good sign for Nvidia's ARM success potential. His support bodes well for ARM game development in general.He was at the fore front of pushing the envelope in early PC gaming.

If we can take anything from his comments it that he might well set the stage on the software side of pushing the envelope forward for ARM gaming as well the same way he did for PC gaming.
January 14, 2011 11:28:03 PM

Let's see you get a clue and recognize when someone is joking around.

;) 
January 14, 2011 11:31:40 PM

archangeWe were expecting CPUs from nVidia for at least 5 years now, but due to Intel's patents and licensing, this was never going to happen on x86.In light of this, let me just say that Windows committing to ARM is ABSOLUTELY HUGE! Ladies and gentlemen, I foresee bright futures ahead, because Windows on ARM means gaming on ARM. And where gaming is, geeks follow. Can't freaking wait to ditch ye ole' x86.Here's to change!
Microsoft is smart for jumping on board before someone steals their thunder from under them like Apple or Google.

I believe that's exactly what they are afraid of and the reason for it's sudden fork in that direction.

I think ARM would have become more and more relevant regardless of Microsoft and Nvidia for gaming, but this will accelerate the process 10 fold with both on board on the same page.

The great news is with the smartphone, netbook, and tablet market for arm along with these other announcements ARM adoption is increasing and becoming more prevalent and thus software for it all around will flourish as well.
January 14, 2011 11:55:07 PM

wintelforeverIt amazes me that people are actually excited about ARM. Why would anyone want ARM for Windows? Windows is the best because it pack the most technology and supports the most apps. Windows on ARM will only support apps recompiled for slower ARM. Who wants that? Not me. Intel has the best chips. The fastest chips. I would be more excited about a phone that runs Windows on an intel chip. The focus should be on battery technology not moving us to a platform where the device makers control all the apps.

I get where you're coming from, and as ARM exists, you are probably right. However, there's nothing stopping it from being further developed. I'm not all that sure it's a slower architecture, per se, than x86 in design either, but you may know better. Past CPUs were slower, and I believe current ones are, but nothing has been developed for desktop use in quite awhile. All that could change. Personally, I don't think Nvidia is interested in taking a back seat in terms of computer performance the way we measure it today on a PC, so if they intend Tegra to be used in that market, I think they have plans.

I think most of us are excited because something new is possibly, maybe coming along that will shake up the "status quo". Right now, to me anyway, it looks like mighty Intel could really monopolize not only the CPU desktop industry, but the GPU industry as well in a few years.

;) 
January 15, 2011 1:56:19 AM

I'm still dreaming for a day when Nvidia enters the x86 desktop market as the third competitor. Maybe impossible, but one can dream.
January 15, 2011 3:57:20 AM

captorofsinActually, the current decade began on January 1, 2010.

You aren't geek enough if you don't know there's no year zero :) . A decade starts when the last digit of the year is 1. As everyone else pointed out, we are just two weeks into the new decade.
January 15, 2011 5:23:57 AM

Uhm. Does Carmack know AMD makes processors? It doesn't seem clear in the article. Why would AMD be interested in ARM processors when they already make processors?
January 15, 2011 11:09:38 PM

I love how this starts off as being an article about nvidia and finishes off with kissing amd's balls again... yaaay fanboys!
January 16, 2011 3:38:16 AM

agnickolovYou aren't geek enough if you don't know there's no year zero . A decade starts when the last digit of the year is 1. As everyone else pointed out, we are just two weeks into the new decade.

You don't even have to be a geek. It's just common knowledge, though apparently, not common enough. ughh.
January 16, 2011 9:11:43 PM

Hmm I see a race gearing up for the netbook, notebook market and other small electronics markets.
January 16, 2011 11:41:29 PM

i hope ARM Nvidia very cheap than APU or Intel
January 17, 2011 11:30:41 PM

archangeWe were expecting CPUs from nVidia for at least 5 years now, but due to Intel's patents and licensing, this was never going to happen on x86.In light of this, let me just say that Windows committing to ARM is ABSOLUTELY HUGE! Ladies and gentlemen, I foresee bright futures ahead, because Windows on ARM means gaming on ARM. And where gaming is, geeks follow. Can't freaking wait to ditch ye ole' x86.Here's to change!

Well, you also have a pretty decent gaming industry building up on Android (Sony, EA helping). Windows would be nice for backward compatibility, but who plays old games anyway.
January 17, 2011 11:44:58 PM

I've commented before AMD should get on the ARM train. I am glad there are sign they are doing that. Now all I need is an investment account and the secrete ingredient... money.

Intel will survive this paradigm shift I believe. After all, they can license ARM as well.
!