Sign in with
Your question

Problem Installing Firewire External Sound Card

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2010 5:55:33 PM

Forgive me in advance for anything stupid I might ask :pt1cable: 

I have a HP built box that I purchased less than a year ago. The hard drive died, along with the motherboard.

I purchased a new hard drive and the full version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and had the shop replace the MB, Install the new hard drive and O/S.

The motherboard is an ASUS M4A785-M, with an on-board Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (according to Windows Device Manager).

I have a couple of additional cards installed, one is an eSata controller for an external hard drive and the other is a SIIG DP FireWire 800 3-Port PCIe card.

I initially installed the SIIG because the FireWire chip set is Texas Instruments, because I have a PreSonus Firestudio Mobile (sound card, recording hardware)and it only plays nicely with Texas Instruments. The SIIG card shows up in Device Manager under IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers as "Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller", which I "assume" is correct?

My problem is the PreSonus hardware refuses show up in Device Manager or initialize (there is an indicator light on the front of the unit that will glow blue when it is connected or flash blue-red when it isn't). PreSonus has a driver set for the Firestudio Mobile, that is called Universal Control.

I have attempted to install Universal Control several times, but each attempt has resulted in failure, with the Driver version showing 0.0.0 etc. I realize this is the problem, but I have no idea how to force the issue.

If I could get the PreSonus drivers to install, I would be home free (I think).

The PreSonus hardware should show up in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers, but it doesn't.

I have also posted about the issue on the PreSonus forum, but haven't had any solutions posted.

This computer and the hardware are what I use to run my Recording Studio and without the Firestudio, I am effectively out of business.

I should also note, that I haven't even installed any other software beyond windows 7, other than a couple of utilities. Not even my DAW or the drivers for my peripheral midi devices.

I am really hopeful someone can steer me in the right direction.....Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope I have explained the situation satisfactorily.

Bill
October 16, 2010 9:38:42 PM

Uninstall the current drivers for the PreSonus Firestudio Mobile (if any driver is available), then disconnect it from the Firewire port.
Manually update the drivers for the SIIG DP FireWire card (got to the SIIG website and get the appropriate drivers for your operating system).
Go to the PreSonus website and get the latest Universal Control and Driver for FireStudio.
Install the Universal Control, which will take you through several step, and please read each message carefully. Make sure that you do not connect your FireStudio
Mobile until the installer has finished and you have rebooted your computer.
If during software or driver setup you see any Windows Security alerts, click “Install this driver software anyway” or “Continue anyway”.
Once your computer has restarts, connect the FireStudio Mobile. When the Found New Hardware wizard appears, follow the recommended steps. When the sync light is solid blue then your FireStudio Mobile is synced to your computer and is ready to use!
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2010 1:36:04 AM

jojesa said:
Uninstall the current drivers for the PreSonus Firestudio Mobile (if any driver is available), then disconnect it from the Firewire port.
Manually update the drivers for the SIIG DP FireWire card (got to the SIIG website and get the appropriate drivers for your operating system).
Go to the PreSonus website and get the latest Universal Control and Driver for FireStudio.
Install the Universal Control, which will take you through several step, and please read each message carefully. Make sure that you do not connect your FireStudio
Mobile until the installer has finished and you have rebooted your computer.
If during software or driver setup you see any Windows Security alerts, click “Install this driver software anyway” or “Continue anyway”.
Once your computer has restarts, connect the FireStudio Mobile. When the Found New Hardware wizard appears, follow the recommended steps. When the sync light is solid blue then your FireStudio Mobile is synced to your computer and is ready to use!

Thanks for the response jojesa.....I REALLY appreciate it.

I was able to update the SIIG drivers from their website and they installed without any problem.

However, I am still having the same issue with the PreSonus drivers. I have installed, uninstalled them several times and I think that may be causing some problems with the Registry. Every time I reinstall them, the driver version is blank after the reboot and of course, the Firestudio Mobile continues to blink red and blue at me after re-attaching the firewire cable and Windows doesn't show me "Found New Hardware" dialogue.

I am still pretty much screwed :o 

Do you have any ideas on how I might persuade Universal Control and Windows to co-operate? :) 

Thanks Again for your time and help!

Bill :D 

BTW....I may not be able to post here much longer, since I have not received a confirmation email, even though I am getting the forum post alerts....go figure :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2010 4:28:30 PM

I am really really really really frustrated here........I have done everything imaginable to try to install UC.

This Is What I Have Done

# Turned off Windows Firewall

# Gone through the Registry and deleted all references to PreSonus, which BTW were either non-existent or had no value assigned
    Disabled all on-board audio devices listed in Device Manager

# Downloaded the FSM zip file (PreSonus Universal Control-PC_1_1_1) for the umpteenth time
    # Run the Install Program (w/o FSM connected )
    # Rebooted after the Installation
    # Connected FSM to a Texas Instruments chip set Firewire port (the same port that worked prior to installing Windows 7)
    # Started Universal Control and it STILL shows no driver version numbers and does NOT connect to FSM
    Then I searched through the Registry again for "PreSonus" and all the keys seem to be correct, showing the locations, driver version, etc

What Else Can I Do!?!

TIA

Bill
m
l
October 18, 2010 12:52:09 AM

Run the installer and follow the onscreen instructions. Both installers, the PreSonus Universal Control and the 3.5.2 drivers require
that your computer be rebooted after their installation completion.
After installing the PreSonus Universal Control restart the computer and after restarting make sure the Universal Control is close.
Now connect the PreSonus Firestudio Mobile if you don't get the message "new hardware found" or your device does not appear at all in the Device Manager then there is a faulty hardware (cable or firewire card or the PreSonus unit).
Try using the PreSonus on another computer and test it and check the cable also.
m
l
March 15, 2012 2:16:47 PM

Did you ever figure out a working solution with the PreSonus Firewire Mobile and the SIIG DP 800?

Thanks,
Mark
m
l
March 22, 2012 2:29:56 AM

markcook said:
Did you ever figure out a working solution with the PreSonus Firewire Mobile and the SIIG DP 800?

Thanks,
Mark

Well, in a manner of speaking I guess I did. The original post was over two years ago and I have long since gotten the FSM working.

The problem was caused by inserting the Firewire cable upside down into the SIIG card.....Yes it is possible to do this! This of course caused a short, which burned out the chipset in the Fire Studio Mobile.

I sent the unit to PreSonus in Baton Rogue and they replaced the chipset, tested the unit and sent it back to me via 3 day UPS (at their expense) and reset my factory warranty. What a GREAT company!

Bill
m
l
!