Setting up a Shared Printer

I'm tring to set up a shared printer in my home. I have a
host computer (c1) hard-wired to a cable modem though a
wireless router. c1 uses Win 2000 Prof. Computer 2
(c2) is wirelessly connected to the cable modem via a
wireless LAN card. c2 uses Win XP Prof. I've set up
the printer on c1 as a shared device. When going thru the
Printer setup wizard on c2 to add the shared printer, it
asks for the path of the (c1) printer. Where oh where is
can I find the full path name of the printer that's
attached to c1? I tried all different types of path
strings to no avail AND I can't find anywhere on c1 where
it shows the complete path name. Help and thank you!
4 answers Last reply
More about setting shared printer

    P.S. per another post, i tried setting up the printer on
    c2 as a local printer and then set up a new TCP/IP port
    for that printer, but that doesn't work either, unless,
    again, I'm not putting in the correct pathname.

    typically the path would be \\c1name\printersharename

    the c1 name is exactly the "full computer name" as shown in MyComputer
    props.
    same way on the shared printer, whatever the character string is on the
    share.

    have you tried using the browse button, when creating the printer? Usually,
    the networked computers will appear, and then you expand the + sign on the
    computer to find the shares available. If this works, you don't need to
    know the path.

    bill

    "Sal B" <salb222@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm tring to set up a shared printer in my home. I have a
    > host computer (c1) hard-wired to a cable modem though a
    > wireless router. c1 uses Win 2000 Prof. Computer 2
    > (c2) is wirelessly connected to the cable modem via a
    > wireless LAN card. c2 uses Win XP Prof. I've set up
    > the printer on c1 as a shared device. When going thru the
    > Printer setup wizard on c2 to add the shared printer, it
    > asks for the path of the (c1) printer. Where oh where is
    > can I find the full path name of the printer that's
    > attached to c1? I tried all different types of path
    > strings to no avail AND I can't find anywhere on c1 where
    > it shows the complete path name. Help and thank you!

    See If Cari's web site will help ya:
    http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20Six.htm

    > P.S. per another post, i tried setting up the printer on
    > c2 as a local printer and then set up a new TCP/IP port
    > for that printer, but that doesn't work either, unless,
    > again, I'm not putting in the correct pathname.

    Thanks for the below... I've tried the Browse button, but
    I don't think I'm getting through to the host computer. I
    saw something about setting up a WORKGROUP between the
    two computers first before attempting at sharing. I'll
    try your way and the above way (or both) and keep this
    posting up-to-date. Thanks again!

Shared Printer Printers Windows XP