*228 Questions

Last response: in Network Providers
February 23, 2005 8:27:23 PM

Hello:

Heard about dialing *228 on the phone to enable the phone
to recognize new cel phone towers.

First time I've heard about this.

Can someone please explain what this is, and does ?

How often should one do ?

Do you simply "just" dial *228 and then hit SEND ?
Does it work on all phones ?

Etc.

Much thanks,
Bob

More about : 228 questions

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 9:06:24 PM

In news:xMqdnb45JKfUnoDfRVn-3w@comcast.com,
Robert11 <rgsrose@notme.com> typed:
> Hello:
>
> Heard about dialing *228 on the phone to enable the phone
> to recognize new cel phone towers.
>
> First time I've heard about this.
>
> Can someone please explain what this is, and does ?
>
> How often should one do ?
>
> Do you simply "just" dial *228 and then hit SEND ?
> Does it work on all phones ?
>
> Etc.
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob

You "just" dial *228 and then hit SEND. Then select option 2 when told to
pick an option. The call is air-time free.
What this does is to update the PRL (Perfered Roaming List) in your phone to
the latest version. The PRL tells your phone which cell carriers to access
in which order and what to display on your phone:
Verizion Wireless --- Native Verizon Wireless coverage
Extended Network --- Roaming without paying any roaming charges
Roaming --- Will have to pay roaming charges (69 cents per min + LD)
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 9:47:03 PM

*228 is called Over The Air (OTA) programming. What *228 does is the
following:

When you dial *228 and SEND, you get a prompt to press either 1 or 2.

Pressing 1 will send (or resend) the configurations for your phone
(phone number, system ID, etc). It will also update your Preferred
Roaming List or PRL. This tells the phone to use certain carriers over
other carriers in a priority order (in this case, Verizon gets top
priority).

This is useful when you're in a non-Verizon Wireless area and your
phone uses a carrier that you don't have to pay extra for. In
Verizon's America's Choice plan - these are "Extended Network"
partners. You pay regular airtime as if you were on Verizon (other
features may or may not work depending on the carrier you may be using
- but most allow for "IN" network (mobile to mobile) calling against
your "IN" network minutes).

On the older America's Choice plan (prior to 2/21/05), the PRL also
told your phone what carriers to roam on. Roaming was eliminated for
new AC plans on 2/21/05 and after. (though I've heard if you're on the
old plan that you stay on the old plan that allows for roaming unless
you upgrade/change your plan to the new AC, even if you update the
PRL)

Pressing 2 at the prompt only updates your PRL. If you press 1, it
won't hurt your phone, but you only need to do it if you are
activating your phone for the first time (or changing the phone number
or getting a new plan), or reactivating if if its been inactive for a
while.

For more info on PRLs, check out this website:

http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm

Dave
February 23, 2005 10:01:59 PM

Hello:

Much thanks for really fine explanations.
Appreciate everyone's time in writing.

Think I sort of understand this now, but let me ask one clarification,
please.

In an older post, I asked about the poor service in Sharon, Mass.
One of the folks who replied mentioned that there's a new tower in Sharon,
but apparently only used, so far, by
Sprint.

If I do the *228, Option 2 (only) routine, is there a possibility
that the phone would use this Sprint connection / tower and thus provide a
decent
connection ?

Thanks,
Bob

------------------------

"Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> Heard about dialing *228 on the phone to enable the phone
> to recognize new cel phone towers.
>
> First time I've heard about this.
>
> Can someone please explain what this is, and does ?
>
> How often should one do ?
>
> Do you simply "just" dial *228 and then hit SEND ?
> Does it work on all phones ?
>
> Etc.
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:02:00 PM

In news:-oydnRdwYuDqhIDfRVn-vw@comcast.com,
Robert11 <rgsrose@notme.com> typed:
> Hello:
>
> Much thanks for really fine explanations.
> Appreciate everyone's time in writing.
>
> Think I sort of understand this now, but let me ask one clarification,
> please.
>
> In an older post, I asked about the poor service in Sharon, Mass.
> One of the folks who replied mentioned that there's a new tower in
> Sharon, but apparently only used, so far, by
> Sprint.
>
> If I do the *228, Option 2 (only) routine, is there a possibility
> that the phone would use this Sprint connection / tower and thus
> provide a decent
> connection ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I would doubt it, it would only happen if you were roaming on Sprint in this
area already.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:05:29 PM

It is alleged that Robert11 claimed:

; If I do the *228, Option 2 (only) routine, is there a possibility
; that the phone would use this Sprint connection / tower and thus provide a
; decent
; connection ?

No, because Sharon, MA is within VZW's native coverage area. The fact
that there are no VZW towers close enough to get a decent signal is
irrelevant to the plan's coverage area.

I have an aunt in Sharon, so I get hit with this problem whenever I
visit her.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I could take over the universe with this army if I could ever get all
their weapons pointed in the same direction." (Adm. Aral Vorkosigan
[Lois McMaster Bujold, "Shards of Honor"])
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:32:32 AM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:27:23 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Heard about dialing *228 on the phone to enable the phone
> to recognize new cel phone towers.
>
> First time I've heard about this.
>
> Can someone please explain what this is, and does ?

It updates your phone's roaming list.

> How often should one do ?

Every month or so.

> Do you simply "just" dial *228 and then hit SEND ?
> Does it work on all phones ?

Yes. Dial *228 - send, then choose option 2
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:17:33 AM

if you are on an old America's Choice plan that had roaming, you are
still on that plan. The new plan is called America's Choice 2 and you
have to call in to customer service to have a price plan change done.
As for the no roaming, we added about 70 new SID (system Id) so our
coverage got better, but most of the sites in the western part of the
US are now no service instead of roaming. You may encounter a point
will full service bars, but your banner says NO SERVICE, in this
instance you may be able to use a credit card to make a call through a
local carrier, but Verizon is stepping out as the middle man in these
cases.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:05:17 PM

Thanks for the excellent detailed answer. It seems to me then that it
is always better to press 1 rather than 2 because 1 will update
everything if needed and 2 will only update the PRL and presing 1 will
not hurt anything. Am I correct?

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:47:03 -0500, Diamond Dave wrote:

>*228 is called Over The Air (OTA) programming. What *228 does is the
>following:
>
>When you dial *228 and SEND, you get a prompt to press either 1 or 2.
>
>Pressing 1 will send (or resend) the configurations for your phone
>(phone number, system ID, etc). It will also update your Preferred
>Roaming List or PRL. This tells the phone to use certain carriers over
>other carriers in a priority order (in this case, Verizon gets top
>priority).
>
>This is useful when you're in a non-Verizon Wireless area and your
>phone uses a carrier that you don't have to pay extra for. In
>Verizon's America's Choice plan - these are "Extended Network"
>partners. You pay regular airtime as if you were on Verizon (other
>features may or may not work depending on the carrier you may be using
>- but most allow for "IN" network (mobile to mobile) calling against
>your "IN" network minutes).
>
>On the older America's Choice plan (prior to 2/21/05), the PRL also
>told your phone what carriers to roam on. Roaming was eliminated for
>new AC plans on 2/21/05 and after. (though I've heard if you're on the
>old plan that you stay on the old plan that allows for roaming unless
>you upgrade/change your plan to the new AC, even if you update the
>PRL)
>
>Pressing 2 at the prompt only updates your PRL. If you press 1, it
>won't hurt your phone, but you only need to do it if you are
>activating your phone for the first time (or changing the phone number
>or getting a new plan), or reactivating if if its been inactive for a
>while.
>
>For more info on PRLs, check out this website:
>
>http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm
>
>Dave

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:23:02 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:05:17 -0500, Sentinel <none@none.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the excellent detailed answer. It seems to me then that it
>is always better to press 1 rather than 2 because 1 will update
>everything if needed and 2 will only update the PRL and presing 1 will
>not hurt anything. Am I correct?

Pressing 1 is just for a first-time activation of the phone (for
example, if you called customer service or went online and did a phone
swap (changing the Electronic Serial Number or ESN associated with
your account and phone number). Otherwise its not needed and is
redundant.

I just press 2 when doing a PRL update.

Dave
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:24:48 PM

On 24 Feb 2005 07:17:33 -0800, "Will" <wlehman@gmail.com> wrote:

>if you are on an old America's Choice plan that had roaming, you are
>still on that plan. The new plan is called America's Choice 2 and you
>have to call in to customer service to have a price plan change done.
>As for the no roaming, we added about 70 new SID (system Id) so our
>coverage got better, but most of the sites in the western part of the
>US are now no service instead of roaming. You may encounter a point
>will full service bars, but your banner says NO SERVICE, in this
>instance you may be able to use a credit card to make a call through a
>local carrier, but Verizon is stepping out as the middle man in these
>cases.

And of course you pay higher roaming rates!

Again, I'd rather pay 69 cents/min than have no service at all (or pay
horrific roaming fees!)

Dave
February 24, 2005 6:01:07 PM

Would you please explain what you mean by "Roaming was eliminated for new AC
plans on 2/21/05 and after." Do you mean that calls in previous roaming
areas are now included in AC? Or that service in previous roaming areas is
unavailable now?

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> *228 is called Over The Air (OTA) programming. What *228 does is the
> following:
>
> When you dial *228 and SEND, you get a prompt to press either 1 or 2.
>
> Pressing 1 will send (or resend) the configurations for your phone
> (phone number, system ID, etc). It will also update your Preferred
> Roaming List or PRL. This tells the phone to use certain carriers over
> other carriers in a priority order (in this case, Verizon gets top
> priority).
>
> This is useful when you're in a non-Verizon Wireless area and your
> phone uses a carrier that you don't have to pay extra for. In
> Verizon's America's Choice plan - these are "Extended Network"
> partners. You pay regular airtime as if you were on Verizon (other
> features may or may not work depending on the carrier you may be using
> - but most allow for "IN" network (mobile to mobile) calling against
> your "IN" network minutes).
>
> On the older America's Choice plan (prior to 2/21/05), the PRL also
> told your phone what carriers to roam on. Roaming was eliminated for
> new AC plans on 2/21/05 and after. (though I've heard if you're on the
> old plan that you stay on the old plan that allows for roaming unless
> you upgrade/change your plan to the new AC, even if you update the
> PRL)
>
> Pressing 2 at the prompt only updates your PRL. If you press 1, it
> won't hurt your phone, but you only need to do it if you are
> activating your phone for the first time (or changing the phone number
> or getting a new plan), or reactivating if if its been inactive for a
> while.
>
> For more info on PRLs, check out this website:
>
> http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm
>
> Dave

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:01:08 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:01:07 GMT, "Alan" <alnogen@noname.com> wrote:

>Would you please explain what you mean by "Roaming was eliminated for new AC
>plans on 2/21/05 and after." Do you mean that calls in previous roaming
>areas are now included in AC? Or that service in previous roaming areas is
>unavailable now?

If you're on the older AC plan (in other words you got your plan prior
to 2/21/05), your plan has NOT changed. You will still have Extended
Network partners AND you can also roam at 69 cents/min in places where
Verizon has not established an Extended Network partnership.

The new AC plan (called AC 2) does NOT have roaming anymore. As
someone else said in this thread, you do get some more coverage as
Extended Area, but there is NO roaming. In some areas of the country,
I see this as decreased coverage, while in other areas it is increased
coverage.

But unless you actually call Verizon Wireless to change your plan,
you'll still be on the old AC plan for now.

Dave
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:01:09 PM

Diamond Dave wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:01:07 GMT, "Alan"
> <alnogen@noname.com> wrote:
>
>> Would you please explain what you mean by "Roaming was
>> eliminated for new AC plans on 2/21/05 and after." Do
>> you mean that calls in previous roaming areas are now
>> included in AC? Or that service in previous roaming
>> areas is unavailable now?
>
> If you're on the older AC plan (in other words you got
> your plan prior to 2/21/05), your plan has NOT changed.
> You will still have Extended Network partners AND you can
> also roam at 69 cents/min in places where Verizon has not
> established an Extended Network partnership.
>
> The new AC plan (called AC 2) does NOT have roaming
> anymore. As someone else said in this thread, you do get
> some more coverage as Extended Area, but there is NO
> roaming. In some areas of the country, I see this as
> decreased coverage, while in other areas it is increased
> coverage.

This implies different PRLs based on plan. Just when things
were getting simpler here...

-Quick
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:09:02 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:01:07 GMT, Alan wrote:

> Would you please explain what you mean by "Roaming was eliminated for new AC
> plans on 2/21/05 and after." Do you mean that calls in previous roaming
> areas are now included in AC? Or that service in previous roaming areas is
> unavailable now?

Both. Some previous roaming areas were changed to extended areas, and some
others were dropped to "no service". In some areas coverage increased, in
some it decreased.

Check the maps posted in the Verizon Wireless group in howardforums.com to
see the changes.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:40:20 PM

Have charges or access for web access been changed with the new AC plan? Am
I now required to use Mobileweb for web access if I sign up for the new
plan? Or can I continue to use free or low cost WAP?

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:01:07 GMT, "Alan" <alnogen@noname.com> wrote:
>
> >Would you please explain what you mean by "Roaming was eliminated for new
AC
> >plans on 2/21/05 and after." Do you mean that calls in previous roaming
> >areas are now included in AC? Or that service in previous roaming areas
is
> >unavailable now?
>
> If you're on the older AC plan (in other words you got your plan prior
> to 2/21/05), your plan has NOT changed. You will still have Extended
> Network partners AND you can also roam at 69 cents/min in places where
> Verizon has not established an Extended Network partnership.
>
> The new AC plan (called AC 2) does NOT have roaming anymore. As
> someone else said in this thread, you do get some more coverage as
> Extended Area, but there is NO roaming. In some areas of the country,
> I see this as decreased coverage, while in other areas it is increased
> coverage.
>
> But unless you actually call Verizon Wireless to change your plan,
> you'll still be on the old AC plan for now.
>
> Dave

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:46:27 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:52:43 -0800, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>This implies different PRLs based on plan. Just when things
>were getting simpler here...
>
>-Quick

Yup - that's what they did. Two different PRLs.

Dave
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:49:30 PM

In article <b7rr115suphqqnk80q4k22mpj2nn9iqaco@4ax.com>, Sentinel
<none@none.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the excellent detailed answer. It seems to me then that it
> is always better to press 1 rather than 2 because 1 will update
> everything if needed and 2 will only update the PRL and presing 1 will
> not hurt anything. Am I correct?

It shouldn't hurt anything, but it's not necessary. And at least on my
LG phone, it resets my security code, which is annoying. I only do
option 2 unless I have a specific need to do the full activation
(number change, new activation, etc.).

--
Garner R. Miller
Clifton Park, NY =USA=

If someone is able to get free WAP on 710, would you PLEASE post info on
how! Thanks.

Garner Miller wrote:
> In article <b7rr115suphqqnk80q4k22mpj2nn9iqaco@4ax.com>, Sentinel
> <none@none.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the excellent detailed answer. It seems to me then that it
>>is always better to press 1 rather than 2 because 1 will update
>>everything if needed and 2 will only update the PRL and presing 1 will
>>not hurt anything. Am I correct?
>

> It shouldn't hurt anything, but it's not necessary. And at least on my
> LG phone, it resets my security code, which is annoying. I only do
> option 2 unless I have a specific need to do the full activation
> (number change, new activation, etc.).

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:35:09 AM

> And of course you pay higher roaming rates!
>
> Again, I'd rather pay 69 cents/min than have no service at all (or pay
> horrific roaming fees!)
>
> Dave

Me too, so does that mean if we are on the old AC plan we will still have
roaming @ $0.69/minute as before or have we lost that as well even if we
don't change to the new AC 2 plan?

Don
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:15:27 AM

Will wrote:
> You may encounter a point
> will full service bars, but your banner says NO SERVICE, in this
> instance you may be able to use a credit card to make a call through a
> local carrier, but Verizon is stepping out as the middle man in these cases.

I don't think this is how it works. I think it works like when you put
your phone on HOME ONLY and you are not in your home system: You have
zero bars and the NO SERVICE banner. And you cannot make any calls
except 911 (which causes the phone to ignore any restrictions and
acquire any signal it can).
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 9:40:48 AM

Well that is how we were told it would happen in our training course.
I work for VZW, but i havent been out to a no service area yet to try
it out.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 9:41:31 AM

you still have roaming at 69 a min unless you call in or go to a store
to change to the new plan.
!