Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade the CPU or Video card?

Last response: in Video Games
June 9, 2012 8:56:26 PM

So, I'm trying to decently run and have my computer live up well to today's game standards. I can practically run anything - just not-so-smoothly.

My CPU: AMD Athlon Dual-Core 4450B
My Video card: GeForce GT 220

I found some triple core AMD Athlon II series, I believe it was for about $70.
I also did some searching and found some decent Video cards with 2 gigs of memory as opposed to my 1. (Also, what exactly, besides the actual memory size, should I look for in video cards?

If I had to only choose one to upgrade,
which should I go for? I'm only going with one for now (I know I should do both) because I just don't have the money required for both right now.

More about : upgrade cpu video card

Best solution

a c 181 U Graphics card
June 10, 2012 12:18:22 AM

Well for now would be the GPU to a AMD/ATI HD 6770 or 7770. If you any higher than this you run the risk of bottlenecking your CPU. On the nVidia side the GTX 550 Ti is about as high as you can go.

But you should upgrade both. Make your CPU a 4 core and make sure your PSU is a 500w or bigger then you can use the better cards like the GTX 560 Ti or the HD 6950. Then you will not have a problems gaming.

I will give you a couple of links so you can look at. If you have to upgrade your PSU look for the brands Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, Silver Stone, and some OCZ brands.
Good luck with your upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

June 10, 2012 4:53:54 AM

I agree with DM. Both of those parts need to go. However if you ask me, the first thing to swap should be the processor, as it will bring the most noticeable performance increases with day-to-day operations. With games of course, you will still be severely limited by the graphics card, however even with a powerful graphics card, if your processor is too slow it won't make a lick of difference in games anyway. Best thing to do is probably to upgrade one then save for the other. Normally I would recommend parts but as I am an Intel/Nvidia user, I can't make any reliable recommendations.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 4:43:29 PM

Best answer selected by DarkHart07.
m
l
June 11, 2012 4:44:50 PM

DM186 said:
Well for now would be the GPU to a AMD/ATI HD 6770 or 7770. If you any higher than this you run the risk of bottlenecking your CPU. On the nVidia side the GTX 550 Ti is about as high as you can go.

But you should upgrade both. Make your CPU a 4 core and make sure your PSU is a 500w or bigger then you can use the better cards like the GTX 560 Ti or the HD 6950. Then you will not have a problems gaming.

Yeah, I ended up deciding on a new motherboard, since mine's hella old. (Only supports 4 gigs of RAM and has an AM2 socket.) A new PSU with like 585 watts, a Radeon 7750, and a Phenom II x4 Processor.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 14, 2012 12:05:18 AM

DarkHart07 said:
Yeah, I ended up deciding on a new motherboard, since mine's hella old. (Only supports 4 gigs of RAM and has an AM2 socket.) A new PSU with like 585 watts, a Radeon 7750, and a Phenom II x4 Processor.

That sounds sweet and I am glad you decided to up grade but it is better than what you had. Good luck and have fun gaming.
m
l
!