Problem installing BJC8200

Gday all, I have just installed XP Home and can't get my printer to print, I
have installed the XP driver from the Canon site, the install instructions
ars for a plug and play printer , but mine is not usb it connects to lpt1
port, so I sel;ected manual connection and the driver is loaded, but when I
try to print I get ..printer not responding and then printer out of paper !
which it isn't, so I am hoping someone can help me out ,
Cheers
Ray
4 answers Last reply
More about problem installing bjc8200

    Canon has lots of support documents
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=6785

    --
    Mary Sauer MS MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    "Ray" <rayw1@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Gday all, I have just installed XP Home and can't get my printer to print, I
    > have installed the XP driver from the Canon site, the install instructions
    > ars for a plug and play printer , but mine is not usb it connects to lpt1
    > port, so I sel;ected manual connection and the driver is loaded, but when I
    > try to print I get ..printer not responding and then printer out of paper !
    > which it isn't, so I am hoping someone can help me out ,
    > Cheers
    > Ray

    Thanks for the link Mary, I did go through the FAQ's etc. and have just gone
    through it all again,uninstalling reinstalling etc. I did exactly as the
    Canon site says, but no luck ! when going through the troubleshooting on the
    Canon site, it seems to end up giving answers for USB connections, which is
    of no help to me :( maybe I need a USB connection for the 8200, is this
    possible ?
    thanks again
    Ray.

    "Mary Sauer" wrote:

    > Canon has lots of support documents
    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=6785
    >
    > --
    > Mary Sauer MS MVP
    > http://office.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
    > "Ray" <rayw1@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > > Gday all, I have just installed XP Home and can't get my printer to print, I
    > > have installed the XP driver from the Canon site, the install instructions
    > > ars for a plug and play printer , but mine is not usb it connects to lpt1
    > > port, so I sel;ected manual connection and the driver is loaded, but when I
    > > try to print I get ..printer not responding and then printer out of paper !
    > > which it isn't, so I am hoping someone can help me out ,
    > > Cheers
    > > Ray

    It should work on an LPT connection..... provided of course your LPT port is
    enabled in the BIOS and found in the Device Manager. I have an old (now
    retired) BJC-8200 which I ran on XP Pro for about a year or so with no
    problems.

    However if you have a USB port, it will work better!
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the link Mary, I did go through the FAQ's etc. and have just
    > gone
    > through it all again,uninstalling reinstalling etc. I did exactly as the
    > Canon site says, but no luck ! when going through the troubleshooting on
    > the
    > Canon site, it seems to end up giving answers for USB connections, which
    > is
    > of no help to me :( maybe I need a USB connection for the 8200, is this
    > possible ?
    > thanks again
    > Ray.
    >
    > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
    >
    >> Canon has lots of support documents
    >> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=6785
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mary Sauer MS MVP
    >> http://office.microsoft.com/
    >> http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
    >> "Ray" <rayw1@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >> > Gday all, I have just installed XP Home and can't get my printer to
    >> > print, I
    >> > have installed the XP driver from the Canon site, the install
    >> > instructions
    >> > ars for a plug and play printer , but mine is not usb it connects to
    >> > lpt1
    >> > port, so I sel;ected manual connection and the driver is loaded, but
    >> > when I
    >> > try to print I get ..printer not responding and then printer out of
    >> > paper !
    >> > which it isn't, so I am hoping someone can help me out ,
    >> > Cheers
    >> > Ray

    Hi Cari, yep all's well in the bios, and device manager says it is working
    ok, I tried all the different settings in the bios, SPP ECP ECP+EPP, no go !
    and when in SPP mode I disabled ECP mode in the driver, so I think I have
    just about covered everything, the printer works fine on my old machine
    running Win98, so I know the printer is ok, I do have plenty of USB ports on
    the computer, but only have the LPT cable from the printer, I asked at my
    local store "Harvey Norman" but they didn't have or know if I could get one,
    I will do some ringing round the shops tomorrow, it will give my computer a
    chance to recover from all the re-starts ;) if you think of anything that I
    have missed checking ,please let me know thanks
    Ray.

Printers Windows XP