Seems warm to me

G

I JUST built a system, 1.2 gHZ Athlon Tbird, Asus A7M266 mobo, 256 mb dddr pc2100 sdram, Gainward Geforce2 MX400 64mb, IBM 60GXP 40 GB hard drive. Now on with my query:

I just booted up, setting up my BIOS, and I was checking my temperatures when I see that my CPU temp is getting hotter, I let it sit for awhile and it just keeps getting hotter and hotter, right now it's at 51.5C, which from what I hear up and around the forums, is a little high. My mobo temp is up around 39 or 40C, and it doesn't seem right.

Now when I got my parts, I was pretty naive and thought "Wowee that Thermaltake Mini Super Orb is real jazzy lookin'!" One click on the "add to cart button" and it was mine. Only now do I read the awful reviews of it and regret my purchase, but should it be running at 51.5C just idling there? The reviews I read said it got in that area when running Quake 3 Arena and 3dMark2001, but I just have it idling, no OS, no software, nothing, just bare stuff, and it's in that range.

Am I all in a fuss for nothing? Is there something wrong with my computer besides the orb? Any suggestions on what I should do, or what I should replace? And should I make my mini super orb into a candle holder? Help me out here guys...

tyl0r

G

By the way, I used Arctic Silver II and the HSF was making full contact with the core, and no, I'm not really that dumb to buy a Mini super orb, just naive...

G

WEll... There are worse coolers out there. 50 sounds a little high for idle, but if you read through threads for the last month or so, I think you will find that ASUS mobo temp sensors run about 10 degrees higher than they are. Supposed to make up for not actually contacting the core. What temps are you getting at heavy load?

This parachute is guaranteed for the life of the user...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only Asus motherboard I know of that gives a 10C higher than actual reading with current BIOS is the A7A266. So that leaves the question-is it really that bad of a cooler? The answer is, unfortunately, yes it is!

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

Yeah, I read about that Asus temperature thing, and was hoping it was the problem, but If I leave my case cover off, I can keep it at around 47.5...In the meantime I'll be looking for a new HSF

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I thought the problem was a particular version of Asus Probe software. Check your temperatures in your BIOS or get a copy of Motherboard Monitor and compare temperatures with Asus Probe. I'm really suspicious of that 39-40 degree motherboard temperature. 30 degrees or less is normal for a system in a room at say 20 degrees C.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I was thinking that his room temp might be kind of high this time of year though. And any version of Probe that works for one motherboard won't work right on another!

Video killed my Radio Card!