HP DeskJet 940c

Linda

I have tried to install my printer to my computer running
windows xp home edition. It will not install to LPT1
port. I ran a recovery scan and it tells me that the
printer output is not being rerouted. How can I fix this
problem. The add wizard is unable to install the
printer, it tells me that I have a non recogonized port.
Please help.

Assuming the computer actually has parallel printer ports:

Navigate to Control Panel System Hardware Device Manager Ports.
Check to make sure that:
1) there is a listing for at least one Printer port Lpt n and
(n=12,3,4)
2) there is not a yellow ! or red x beside the listing.

It is possible that the port is either turned off in the BIOS settings or
deleted from Device Manager or set to disabled in the user profile or some
other fault.

Let us know.

Tom Ferguson

"Linda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried to install my printer to my computer running
> windows xp home edition. It will not install to LPT1
> port. I ran a recovery scan and it tells me that the
> printer output is not being rerouted. How can I fix this
> problem. The add wizard is unable to install the
> printer, it tells me that I have a non recogonized port.
> Please help.

Linda

there is no yellow circle. There seems to be no problem
with the port, everything looks right.When the add
hardware wizard starts it tries to install my printer,
but it is unable and the error message is:the specified
port is unknown. I originally installed a software
program and when I uninstalled the program, it took away
my printer driver and port. When I try to install the
printer from the CD, LPT1 port is not available and it is
not even in the drop down list. The list starts at LPT2,
LPT3, etc. It wants to install it to my winfax port.
When I click on the locate printer, it does nothing. I
then tried to add a new port and when I did that, the
printer will work, but everytime I restart the computer,
the add hardware wizard wants to try and install my
printer again and again. Do I have to re-install windows
xp. Unfortunately, I only have a serial number and not
the product number. The number that I have on the disk
is invalid. I have tried to re-install windows xp, but
it tells me that the number is invalid. How do I find
the correct product number in my computer?