Have you heard about Game Transfer Phenomena?

cyberpsyke

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Game Transfer Phenomena (GTP) is the transfer of video game experiences to the real world; like hearing, seeing or doing things in real life as in the video game.

I would like to invite you to participate in the Game Transfer Phenomena project (GTP). The survey takes approximately 10 minutes to complete. I am doing it as part of my Phd.

It takes approximately 10 minutes to complete the survey.

www.gametransferphenomena.com/survey.html

You are welcome to visit my website where you can find more information about the GTP project, join my Facebook group and check out my blog.

Check out this video about the first Game Transfer Phenomena study

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeuijyNEmOs

Hi,
I had a few comments to add since your survey didn't feature the option to add them.

Based on the questions I've seen, I see some problems with the survey in regard to research/methodology.

1. your survey is directed at 18+ y/o, however, I believe this phenomenon that you're trying to research would be most applicable to children who do not have a well formed cognitive understanding of reality or separation of their experiences.

2. This whole GTP phenomenon seems rather ambiguous from the questions you ask. Let me explain, you ask "have you (player) ever heard or recalled things from a video game in my mind/eye/vision/etc?" okay, randomly? no I have not. However, I have recalled sounds and images from the video game when I was deliberately thinking about it, recalling my previous experience or perhaps when I was socializing with my friends/fellow gamers.

Point is, it seems that your research assumes that this phenomenon has to happen on its own and randomly? Perhaps it's just my view of things, because I'm a very visual person in terms of learning in general, so oftentimes when I'm thinking about something I have visual recollections on the subject, this applies to video games as well of course. So, does the act of me deliberately thinking about a video game outside of while playing the video game qualify as GTP?

Whether yes or no, you should think about explaining this part in your survey/research.

cyberpsyke

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Hi!

Thank you very much for your interesting insights about my research.

Yes, my survey is for 18+ due to ethical issues since I should not invite minors. Minors could probably be more susceptible to GTP but in my first GTP study that was based on interviews with young people between 15 to 21 years old, GTP were found in the youngest and in the oldest participants.

My aim is not to find out if players can distinguish between reality and fantasy, but to understand automatic mind and physiological processes that are being triggered by video game playing.

I am not asking if you can recall things from video games; although, memory play a very important role in some of the GTP experiences but not in all cases. I am asking if you have seen or heard something from the video games when you were not playing. As you can see in the examples in my survey some players have experienced seeing afterimages of video games elements such as health bars above peoples’ heads or seeing video games elements when they closed their eyes. Thinking deliberately about video games does not qualify as GTP, even if you are a visual thinker.

These experiences occurred spontaneously and without premeditation of the players. The initial GTP study was divided in automatic and voluntary GTP experiences but I should recognize that in some cases it is difficult to establish a difference.

If you have more questions I am happy to answer.

Cheers!
Angelica