abhop26

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I have a new Pc coming in 2 days, which i saved some money on and had some extra so I might as well get a mouse or keyboard and was wondering which one is more nessicary.

At the moment I have a standard microsoft wireless mobile mouse 4000, and a Dynex media keyboard (no anti ghosting).

I was looking at the Roccat Kova[+] for the mouse

And the Microsoft sidewinder x4

I am looking to play Guild wars 2/ Prototype 2/ Arkham City/ deus ex/ Battlefield 3/ etc... (wide range)

Solution
I'm going to recommend what I would recommend to everyone b/c it is just the greatest mouse I have ever used. The Logitech G500. Watch it on Newegg b/c you might be able to score a really good deal on it such as $35 like I did. As for keyboards, I'm in the same boat you're in at the moment. I'm currently using a Microsoft Media keyboard. It's holding up but I'd like to upgrade to the Sidewinder X4 as well. Maybe even the X6 if it gets cheap.

nin-ha

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I'm going to recommend what I would recommend to everyone b/c it is just the greatest mouse I have ever used. The Logitech G500. Watch it on Newegg b/c you might be able to score a really good deal on it such as $35 like I did. As for keyboards, I'm in the same boat you're in at the moment. I'm currently using a Microsoft Media keyboard. It's holding up but I'd like to upgrade to the Sidewinder X4 as well. Maybe even the X6 if it gets cheap.

Solution

nin-ha

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

I'm sorry but everywhere that sells the R.A.T., the reviews are always bad on it. I would have loved to buy one b/c personally I think the mouse looks kick ass with all the features its got. But general rule of thumb, more moving parts, more room for error. And that's not even including the problem with its sensor. I heard that thing has the worst tracking and sometimes just strays off.

neither one is necessary. the point is if you need to come on here and ask this question that means you have no problem using your current keyboard and mouse. So keep using them, when you face some problem that is on the hardware level and is prohibitive to your game play then you spend money to solve it. Until then you're just throwing money out the window.

I've been in your boat myself, I've had friends with similar sentiment, in the end if you just buy it hoping to give you something extra but you don't know what, forget it. All you'll end up with is a whole lot of undefined and unfulfilled expectations.

nin-ha

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

That's exactly why I buy my stuff on sales :D . I managed to snag a Logitech MX1100 at $30 from $80. And as I said before, I got my G500 for $35 when it's originally around $60. You're right though, use what you can, then buy something if you really need it. I spend a lot of time on my computer so it's nice to have something comfortable to use for long periods of time. If OP is just a casual gamer then there's no real need to upgrading at all.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Definitely wired gaming mouse with a laser sensor.

You don't really press that many keys at once, so any office keyboard will suffice ( at least until it breaks from too much pounding ).

But a bad mouse or a laggy wireless one like the one you own will really annoy you.

I have the Sidewinder X6 keyboard and really like it. I use the macro keys a little, but mostly I just find it has a good feel, plus removing the Numpad makes it nice and small.

For a mouse, not a big deal. I got a CM Sentinel Z3RO-G and it is very good, but so many features go to waste. It has such a high DPI, but in reality it's far too much so I reduce it down to around 1600 and then set mouse sensitivity super low in game so that the mouse isn't zooming around. The most important part for a mouse is that it feels good in your hand and is smooth (aka laser, not "optical"), and maybe that it has 3 buttons and a wheel.

All together I spent about $100 on these and it was a good purchase. But "gaming" specific stuff is usually just over priced with little to no benefit, like a lot of those big ass $150+ Logitech keyboards with LCD displays and such.

So in other words you're suggesting to throw less money out the window via sale hunting... I think you completely missed my point.

if your using a dome keyboard swapping it for another more expensive dome keyboard isnt an upgrade. better to get an entry level mechanical keyboard like the q-pad mk 50 which will cost roughly the same as a sidewinder x6 but is by far a much better keyboard...
you can find x6's for less than £40 if you shop around but there average price is £50 for just a little extra £59.99 free pnp you will get so much more...
you wont get novelties like back lighting but you will get full nkrollover via ps2 exceptional response to key pressing up 2 8x faster than normal dome keys, better typing experience and looks good 2... the sidewinder x6 looks pretty but it is all bells and whistles and when you come down to it , it really is style over content...
just for refrence amazon have damaged box versions with perfectly working keyboards for £40 so if our willing to accept a damaged box with full warranty for return, its an even better bargain for the mk 50