beginner BIOS questions

G

well.. i have spent some time on the internet reading OC guides and so on.. and forums.. they all say the same; go into the BIOS and change FSB / multiplier / volt . the thing is, i cant figure out what submenu in the bios i fix all this. I took a look in the bios for my old machine(p2 233) not the one thats going to be OC'ed and i found the interesting categories; Cmos setup, Power setup and bios setup(i think). i looked around, and i could not see anything that looked like a FSB / multiplier / Volt change place. Do i have to hack/crack the bios or something?

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
It all depends on the motherboard...some can be overclocked and some can not. If your computer is a Dell or some other OEM computer, there is little chance it can be overclocked. Almost all overclocking is done with motherboards specifically designed for the overclocking enthusiast. Some MB are overclocked by changing dip switches and jumpers, others through settings in the BIOS. I suggest you start by doing an internet search for reviews on the motherboard you want to overclock. Almost all reviews discuss the overclocking potential of the particular MB and usually give details.

If you posted which MB you have and asked how to overclock with it, the chances are someone familiar with that MB could tell you what you want to know.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

G

well.. the old pentium MB is a old ASUS P2L97A.
nevermind that..

the one im going to use is a ASUS A7V-E, so i know i can OC with that. I dont know whether i have the one with the dip-switches or i wether i will have to do it in the bios(its at the post-office and i havent paid/picked it up yet:) I will also start a new thread about my new MB.

thanks!

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/faq-display.php?FAQ=4#FAQ-0" target="_new">http://www.amdmb.com/faq-display.php?FAQ=4#FAQ-0</A>

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile: