what happened to Gauntlet and Eagle Raptor

They were the top dogs back in the day what the heck happened, Gauntlet does
not exist and I think the raptor is slowly dying under symantec.

Hugo Drax <hugodrax@draxindustries.com> wrote:
> They were the top dogs back in the day what the heck happened, Gauntlet does
> not exist and I think the raptor is slowly dying under symantec.

Gauntlet was integrated into Secure Computing Sidewinder G2 (I think a lot
or all of its application proxy stuff is based on Gauntlet 6.0) after
Secure Computing acquired Gauntlet from NAI. Secure Computing certainly
supported Gauntlet 6.0 for a while and service contracts were transfered
from NAI to Secure Computing.

I've never used Raptor but isn't Symantec Enteprise Firewall essentially
the descendent of Raptor?

--
Jason Kau
bubbafat@SPAMspeakeasy.net IS FOR EMAIL

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:48:54 +0000 (UTC), Jason Kau spoketh

>Hugo Drax <hugodrax@draxindustries.com> wrote:
>> They were the top dogs back in the day what the heck happened, Gauntlet does
>> not exist and I think the raptor is slowly dying under symantec.
>
>Gauntlet was integrated into Secure Computing Sidewinder G2 (I think a lot
>or all of its application proxy stuff is based on Gauntlet 6.0) after
>Secure Computing acquired Gauntlet from NAI. Secure Computing certainly
>supported Gauntlet 6.0 for a while and service contracts were transfered
>from NAI to Secure Computing.
>
>I've never used Raptor but isn't Symantec Enteprise Firewall essentially
>the descendent of Raptor?

Not a descendent. It is the same product. Symantec bought Axent a few
years back, and renamed "Raptor" to "Symantec Enterprise Firewall".

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

Justin

As far as Gauntlet goes, yes Secure Computing bought Gauntlet from
NAI/PGP and actually Secure Computing still supports it. However
Gauntlet will be officially EOL'd by Secure Computing Corp. at the end
of '04. However, their new firewall product, Sidewinder G2 6.1, which
is basically all the cool Gauntlet Proxies and Adaptive Proxying
technology that Sidewinder never had, and the good features that
Sidewinder did have all rolled into one great firewall. Secure
Computing is saying it's benchmarks say it's a 30 percent performance
increase over Sidewinder 5.x and a 50 to 60 percent increase over
Gauntlet 6.0 UNIX, which if true is awesome! We are upgrading our 6
Gauntlet 6.0 UNIX boxes in September to the new G2 6.1 product. I'll
let all you guys know how it is when we do.

Justin Beeler
Systems Analyst
ENSCO, Inc.