Photosmart 7960 install problems

After spending 9 hours online last nite & today, I was
told by HP online support that the problem is my version
of usbprint.sys and usbstor.sys. I'm told the version
needed for each is 5.1.2600.0. Right-clicking on
usbstor.sys shows the correct version. Right-clicking on
usbprint.sys shows version 4.10.2223.0, which they tell me
is for W98. I am running an HP Pavilion a305w with Windows
XP-home (Sp1). This is an original installation, pre-
installed with the package--not an upgrade from W98. There
is no XP installation CD that came with the package to
check the original version. All I have are the recovery
CDs supplied by HP.
Backing up a bit...I have had to uninstall and reinstall
this new printer several times in order to try to set it
up. The installation software/wizard will install all the
bundled software for the printer, but NOT the printer.
I've had to manually install it using the "Add Printer"
wizard. The gist of the error message when using the
wizard to "install new hardware" is: An error occurred
during the installation of this device. The specified port
is unknown."
The first thing tried was using different USB ports, then
a USB cable other than the one that came with the printer.
That seemed to work until I tried to print a test page and
received an "Error-printing" in the queue. Then another
windows saying the connection to the printer was lost.
Once the job was cancelled from the queue, the connection
appears to be reestablished.
I need help!! I'm beginning to think I am getting the
runaround from HP. I just finished going nose-to-nose with
Canon over their non-support of my BJC-5100 in WinXP and
decided to try HP.
Any suggestions???
4 answers Last reply
More about photosmart 7960 install problems

    "Vicki" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After spending 9 hours online last nite & today, I was
    > told by HP online support that the problem is my version
    > of usbprint.sys and usbstor.sys. I'm told the version
    > needed for each is 5.1.2600.0. Right-clicking on
    > usbstor.sys shows the correct version. Right-clicking on
    > usbprint.sys shows version 4.10.2223.0, which they tell me
    > is for W98. I am running an HP Pavilion a305w with Windows
    > XP-home (Sp1). This is an original installation, pre-
    > installed with the package--not an upgrade from W98. There
    > is no XP installation CD that came with the package to
    > check the original version. All I have are the recovery
    > CDs supplied by HP.
    > Backing up a bit...I have had to uninstall and reinstall
    > this new printer several times in order to try to set it
    > up. The installation software/wizard will install all the
    > bundled software for the printer, but NOT the printer.
    > I've had to manually install it using the "Add Printer"
    > wizard. The gist of the error message when using the
    > wizard to "install new hardware" is: An error occurred
    > during the installation of this device. The specified port
    > is unknown."
    > The first thing tried was using different USB ports, then
    > a USB cable other than the one that came with the printer.
    > That seemed to work until I tried to print a test page and
    > received an "Error-printing" in the queue. Then another
    > windows saying the connection to the printer was lost.
    > Once the job was cancelled from the queue, the connection
    > appears to be reestablished.
    > I need help!! I'm beginning to think I am getting the
    > runaround from HP. I just finished going nose-to-nose with
    > Canon over their non-support of my BJC-5100 in WinXP and
    > decided to try HP.
    > Any suggestions???

    Epson maybe?

    Look, at least they gave you a possible reason for your problem. However,
    it is equally likely that their installer put this earlier file on your
    machine.
    Or possibly the Canon installer.

    Try this site: http://www.dynamiclink.nl/htmfiles/rframes/sys-u.htm

    They seem to have those files. At least in a later version than what you
    need.

    XP SP2 also contains later versions of the files than you need.

    Also, have you downloaded the latest driver from the HP Website.

    You know next time to ask about the XP(or subsequent OS) install disk
    when you buy your next computer. Don't buy a computer that only has
    a recovery disk. Or if the salesman doesn't know. Send a letter to HP about
    it.

    Also be careful not to install a printer driver for Win 95, 98, or ME on
    your XP machine.

    Dick Kistler

    Thanks (I think)! I'll give it a shot. And then HP will be
    getting a phone call....

    Simply amazing! Downloaded the newer usbprint.sys and in
    less than 5 minutes I now have a printer that prints. Now
    I just have to tackle the support thing with HP. Thanks
    again!!!
    Vicki

    > Simply amazing! Downloaded the newer usbprint.sys and in
    > less than 5 minutes I now have a printer that prints. Now
    > I just have to tackle the support thing with HP. Thanks
    > again!!!
    > Vicki
    All I did was to Google "usbprint.sys download" and look at sites till I
    found one that had the file.

    Glad you are going again.

    Dick

Hewlett Packard Windows XP