Watercooling Problem

G

i'm trying to water cool my system and i feel that i have everything setup correctly but my chip still gets too hot very quickly. don't know what more to say about the problem. i have a pump capable of pumping 210 Gal/min @ 1ft max 7ft, large radiator and copper water block. i have also applied a very thin layer of AS on the cpu. anybody have suggestions where the problem may be.

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
some more info please
waterblock/cpu/mobo/radiator????

some thoughts, water block not seated on cpu core properly (has to be perfectly seated with grain of rice size bead of thearmal compound )!!
air lock in waterblock/pipework!!!
kink in hose!!
blockage in radiator/waterblock!!!

also whats the room temp & system temp????

G

Is the mounting squarely pulled down?
Is the water actually flowing through the whole system?
Airlock in the pump itself which will need "bleeding" out.
Fan blowing through the radiator is working?

Yeah I know theyare silly questions!
Sometimes pumps run the wrong way, or in technical terms someone wired or plumbed it wrong.

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 08/06/01 04:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

i forget where i got the water block from (2cooltek maybe). 1.2GHz Athlon, Asus A7V, oiler cooler for car (roughly 9X12in -- 8 passes) with 4 120mm fans cooling it. have used VERY little thermal compound. water seems to be moving through the system ok and has been bled out. my water supply has a brass nipple for pumping out, returning water and a threaded hole for air so i can bleed the air bubbles out then seal the container.

room temp roughly 24C. Mobo temp ~26C, CPU starts around 36C and within about 2-3 min it's up to about 50C.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
try and get a feel for your water temp - do the pipes feel hot or cold?

If the pipes or the back of the waterblock are hot then your radiator/fan is not doing the job, or your flow rate is too low. If the pipes/block are/is cold, then your block is not extracting heat from the cpu properly.

Best way to test - stick your pump underwawter, remove the inlet pipe and let the water run through the system and just pump openly into the basin or whatever. After running through everything - is the flow rate still good?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

i think that the block is not extracting the heat properly, but i don't know what to do to fix it. at worst the hoses are luke warm and the back of the block is not hot. i've tried reseating the block a couple of times but the result is always the same.

i haven't trie undoing the inlet pipe yet, but will try soon.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
well it sounds like the block is not pushed hard enough against the cpu core, which would be the usual reason.

You need to be extremely careful as overtightening will either crush the cpu or break the lugs off the socket.

As I said, it sounds like the block is not making a good enough contact and allows the cpu to heat up without drawing the heat itself...

G

yeah i thought it wasn't making good enough contact either and have already broken the lugs off one mobo trying to make better contact (tightened my clamp half a turn before testing each time until... snap). hooked everything up to a new MB and now my system won't POST. i have a duron to test things out on and a t-bird for the final and neither seem to work now. it's possible that i crushed the duron... heard a little crunching, but it looks ok. (it still gets hot when i power up, but nothing happens. don't know about the t-bird; should still be working.

perhaps i will try a new water block if it doesn't work... give up :(

thanks for all your help... much appreciated,
De

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
That's too bad man - you may need to use a jewler's eye piece to see fractures on a cpu core.

The other possibility is that the clamp is not centered on the core? The screw down should be offset from the center of the bar and logicall be directly above the core (thru the waterblock)...

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
i think you & pete b have it solved (waterblock contact)
just a thought if your thinking of a new waterblock iv'e been using a maze 2 from dangerden.com for 8 weeks now & have had no probs with it & they bolt dirrectly to the mobo so no clips to snap & its held down by spring pressure so its easy to seat
hope this helps

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Does your radiator have a fan? It should.

My waterblock feels cool, the hoses also feel cool.

--
It's Princess Leia, the yodel of my life. Give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar.

G

i just checked out the waterblocks at dangerden. they look good to me but the securing device looks like it clips into the the little things on the side of the socket. i have a MB with these clips still remaining but i'd prefer to use one that clamps into the holes on the MB (i think this is what you were talking about in your post :) since it has on board audio and i need all the PCI slots possible.

looking down a bit further on the page i see a plexiglass one for socket A processors that looks like it uses these things but will it work with my setup. i see no reason why it wouldn't, but just want to be sure.

perhaps i'll just make one.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
210 gallons a minute? or hour? a minute would be uhm... over 13 litres a second... thats a formula one pump for fcuks sake...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if it indeed pumping at this speed that would be the problem fater causing enough friction to actually warm the block up...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

G

sorry my bad per hour... thanks for catching that.