PEOPLE SMARTER THAN I RE: WINDOWS XP AND HP PRINTERS

Dear One & All,
As I searched all 56 pages for an answer to my Windows
XP problem, it seemed to me that there were a
disproportionate number of HP printers and Windows XP
problems listed on this newsgroup postings.
I am toying with investing in a higher end HP all-in-
one that duplexes. I hate wasting paper and my printer
is not conveniently located for a frequent run/flip the
paper over. It seems to have all the bells and whistles
except making coffee.
However, the striking number of problems give me
pause.
Is there a particular difficulty that Windows XP & HP
are having? Or are there a disproportionate number of HP
printers out there?
Thanks in advance if you answer.
Curious
2 answers Last reply
More about people smarter windows printers

    If you read the posts you'll find that most printer issues
    stem from either user error (including installation
    problems) or driver issues. When XP was released, all of
    the major printer manufacturers had to decide which older
    models they would provide XP drivers for. All of them
    abandoned some old models, but it seems that HP might have
    gone a bit overboard in this regard. Perhaps it's as you
    suggest, and there are just a lot of HP printers out there,
    but I don't think so.

    Insofar as general quality is concerned, HP laserjets have
    been business workhorses for years, and part of the driver
    problem is that many people have old (~10 years) HP
    laserjets that work fine but now have to be scuttled for
    lack of an XP driver. I'm not sure that HP inkjets enjoy
    the same reputation for quality and reliability, but they
    certainly have their advocates.

    Dear Wislu Plethora,
    Thank you for your input. It seems a reasonable explanation.
    I have another issue. In looking at purchasing a new hp multi-function
    printer/fax, I am looking at the complicated sequence of connections.
    I want a stand alone fax that can handle legal size docs but I don't have
    space for unlimited machines. I will have two computers(as soon as the
    second one arrives) to "network" to the printer and I have 2 phone lines, one
    of which is DSL line (which currently doubles as fax line, too).
    My business phone # is actually line two since DSL required a rewiring to
    become Line one. Therefore, I can't simply use line 2 for my fax stand
    alone. It has be the business line.
    Now, my current dilemma: If HP printer/fax must stand alone, yet connect
    to computer... and my phone/answr machine/2 lines must attach to computer
    which connects to the router and the two computers both connect to
    printer---what is the sequence of connection? I read the printer manual and
    it didn't explain for such an elaborate connection. It simply explains for
    printer to wall jack and then to phone and computer. It doesn't account for
    DSL and router blockers, routers. Where do the rounters go in the sequence?
    Do you have an idea for using line 1 for DSL and FAX/STAND ALONE?
    Have I made myself as clear as mud? Perhaps that shows the greater
    dilemma.
    I am not sure I explained it well, but I thank you for your insights already
    given and those you might give.
    Curious

    "Wislu Plethora" wrote:

> [...]

Windows XP Hewlett Packard Printers