Freezes for a few seconds [Diablo 3]

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • Diablo
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 12, 2012 1:52:08 PM

Playing Diablo 3, I can run the game with most settings on medium and the game is still very smooth. Although, no matter what setting the graphics are on it still freezes for a few seconds then catches up. It happens about once every 5 minutes and can be quite irritating.

I saw a few other people with this problem on the Diablo forums but no one really answered.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

More about : freezes seconds diablo

Best solution

June 12, 2012 6:50:50 PM

shakaone said:
Playing Diablo 3, I can run the game with most settings on medium and the game is still very smooth. Although, no matter what setting the graphics are on it still freezes for a few seconds then catches up. It happens about once every 5 minutes and can be quite irritating.

I saw a few other people with this problem on the Diablo forums but no one really answered.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

While there are several issues causing similar symptoms it is most likely the known asset loading (and some server lag) issue many users are experiencing. My son is experiencing the same issues along with the annoying micro stuttering, but they have gotten a bit better. He is running an i3-2100 and EVGA GTX550Ti. If you google diablo 3 asset loading you can find many threads about it and Blizzard has acknowledged the issue but with an unknown eta to fix.

The two things that have seemed to help get smoother gameplay in general with his set-up were:

-Force Vsync in Nvidia control panel (and in game) and enable triple buffering in Nvidia control panel. Turning vsync off both on the control panel and in game causes some bad screan tearing quite often.
-Turn shadows off

Some people have also found relief by limiting the cores used in the diablo 3 config file, so depending on what type of hardware you are running you may look into that as well.

In new area's he will get a 2-3 second lag spike and then everything things to be smooth (excluding the micro stuttering) and when a pack of elites or one of the rare mobs enters his screen he will get a 1-2 second massive lag spike and then smooth.
June 13, 2012 10:56:53 PM

My Labtop specs are:
Windows 7 x64
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540m
Intel Core i5-2430M @ 2.40 GHz.
Intel 6-series/C200 chipset

I'll give that a try when I get home from work, thanks for the reply!
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 9:31:35 PM

Playing with a Wizard AND Witch Doctor in Act III (Hell) will lag me when there's an insane amount of mobs on the screen with all the commotion. Utter chaos.
m
l
June 21, 2012 1:05:17 PM

Best answer selected by Shakaone.
m
l
!