MSI AfterBurner 2.2.1 Video Capture Settings.

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hello,
Can anyone please tell me the correct settings in detail for capturing in-game video using MSI Afterburner 2.2.1?I am getting more lag than Fraps.My CPU is an Intel Core2Duo E7400 and my GPU is an HD 6850.I have about 1TB free space.I know my CPU is weak but should my FPS be less than half while recording games?I went for it because I had read that lag is almost 'non-existent'. My system is completely stock.I have tried recording to a different HDD but even that didn't help.

Solution
recording with a software depends on HDD mostly then on CPU, the HDD need to be fast enough to keep up on recording. otherwise its going to lag and get low fps,for best results you can put the settings with half frame with low resolution.

MSIAB and FRAPS uses the same algorithm in recording only a few differences with options like compression methods and picture quality.

you can check this out for more info

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
recording with a software depends on HDD mostly then on CPU, the HDD need to be fast enough to keep up on recording. otherwise its going to lag and get low fps,for best results you can put the settings with half frame with low resolution.

MSIAB and FRAPS uses the same algorithm in recording only a few differences with options like compression methods and picture quality.

you can check this out for more info

Solution
Good info there for RAW recording. I think RAW is pretty good option for lower power CPU systems, but I definitely found the compressed recording options of MSIAB improved the framerate - though, it vastly increases CPU usage and it also has some issues with stutter (possibly a HDD issue?).

I'll read through that link a little more thoroughly later, never a bad idea to optimize if doing some recording. Plus I have a spare laptop HDD laying around I could probably plug in to try that :)

there are better options than fraps. bandicam is 1. it will give less cpu usage and runs more evenly on the system. also it allows more selection of what codecs to use so your files dont have to be 3-4gigs for 30 seconds. more like 800mb per minute if you want... which can be easily converted to 120mb with little in the way of quality loss.

computer_noob

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

So sorry to bump such an old thread but I had to thank you for posting this and maybe it will help someone else out. Bandicam is excellent!