Case mod blowhole cutting question

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
This looks like the most likely forum to post this in, so here goes:

I'm planning on cutting a few blowholes in my case. I've heard a lot of modders talk about using a Dremel to actually cut the hole. I have a Dremel, but I'm unsure of which attachment to use, and how to actually use it to cut the hole. Any tips/pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Thanks Crash. You're freakin everywhere. Question: Do you think this is the best method, or would a jigsaw with a metal blade do better?

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
If you've got a good drill, you might look into hole saws. They come in various sizes, and will make a nice round hole. A bit tricky on thin sheet metal, but still quicker and cleaner than a jigsaw or dremel. The dremel will be great for cleaning up and deburring.

my $.02

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The jigsaw would work fast and easy, but may warp the edges of the hole. If you want to avoid that problem, you can always make the four fan bolt holes first and then bolt a piece of wood on both sides before cutting. As for me, I think I would use the dremel to make the hole.
I have used hole saws but have never seen on with fine enough teeth for sheet steel, and it could turn sideways on exit.

Video killed my Radio Card!

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i was wondering why nobody use them i mean they would cut it clean and you would have control over it

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

Actually a dremel and a small drill bit/drill is the best for the modifications, first mark a outer line of the hole size for the fan and mark your screw holes, use drill to drill many holes inside the line and then use the dremel to cut between the holes then change the to a grinding wheel or de-burring cutter and clean it up to the line. easy..

If you are unsure about the tool you are planning on using, practice on some scrap metal first to get yer hand in.

I have also taken out the metal grill section out of the areas where fan mounts have been provided in the case itself, this allows more airflow and less work for the fans and less noise.

G

If you own a drill already, just by a hole-cutting bit. They make them in almost perfect sizes for 60/80/120mm fans. You can also buy a grinding/polishing stone bit for about a buck to smooth out the edges. I took that route instead of spending 100 bucks on a new dremel and cut two new ones and installed fans in about 5 minutes.

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Crashman,

I don't think coarseness of hole saw blades is really a problem since the teeth aren't going back an forth through the metal as they do with a jig saw or hack saw. I think they are intentionally coarse to try to let the chips out. I do think your recommendation of drilling the fan mounting holes first and screwing a block of wood on the back side of the hole (inside of case) would work very well with a hole saw, and would solve "the breaking through on one side" problem. I do prefer to cut sheet metal using a hole saw on a drill press with wood back-up whenever possible to avoid this.

Even with a hand drill, w/o the wood back-up, if you keep the drill straight, and lighten up as soon as you start to break through, forcing the drill to cut the opposite side, I think you can get a fast, clean hole. A little WD-40 or cutting oil on the saw will help keep it from loading up and cutting cleaner as well. Just a bit of deburring with a file and away you go.

BW

BTW, can I borrow your name? I think I've earned it. In 9 race events over the last two years, I've crashed 5 times. Maybe "Crash II" or "Crash and Burn Man" would work. I chuckle each time I read one of your excellent posts!

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Got my name racing REAL cars in REAL woods against REAL components. Had a 1970 Cutlass, I liked heavy cars because I could push through everything-including competitors, small trees, etc.
I custom built all my machines from scrap parts, motorcycles, cars, snowmobiles, etc. People would FREAK when I'd plow into them! I used to hook an old Railroad chain to an oak and back up hard to pull the corners back out on my front bumper. WAY back in my BMX days I used to smack bars with people I passed to knock them over. My dirt motorcycle has a 360 twin making only about 40HP, but with a street bike tranny geared to go 120. Man to be a kid again.
I'm a trained machinist, expert welder, along with a lot of other training, but computers are easier and don't require the expensive tools.
I need the name, maybe you could pick something else like "wipe out" or something.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Those hole cutters do look nice, the 121MM dewalt is about 30 bucks. I already own a dremel. But I think I may spring for the hole cutter

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Crash,

Sounds like you deserve the name more than I so I'll have to stick with BW. The concrete wall I hit last year was very REAL I'm afraid. So too were the dings to my wallet required to get back out there :frown: . To each their own I guess. No virtual reality here.

By "REAL woods", I take it you either drove off-road rallys or ran moonshine? Rallying is pretty wild!

BW<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bw37 on 08/09/01 07:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Rallys in the car and "hare & hound" on the the bike. Unorganized local events.
I also drove the same car on the road, and performed stunts for friends. My headlight expense was astounding!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can't say if it's true do to legal responsibility, but there is a story about me taking out a row of around 50 trafic barrels at 70MPH with a load of kids just to watch them scream in terror as they bounced off the roof just past the windshield!