Faxing with smart-ring or distinct ring possible?

I have distinct ring, which is a special ring like that used in Europe, two
short rings. Regular/standard fax machines have a setting to distinquish this
ring.

Is there a fax/modem available that will work with Win XP pro so I can
recieve fax's like this?

I also have a cable modem. Can I use both the cable to fax with and the
phone to recieve?

Thanks

Richard
1 answer Last reply
More about faxing smart ring distinct ring possible

    Windows XP does not support Distinctive Ring:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
    Distinctive Ring Is Not Supported by Windows 2000 Fax

    Some third party hardware devices can provide a work-around:

    http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
    Emerson Switchboard
    http://www.command-comm.com/products.html
    ComSwitch®

    I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
    Ring problem:

    http://www.faxtalk.com/
    FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    www.pigeonline.com
    Pigeon Mail n Fax

    The ONLY way to use your Cable connection for faxing is to hire an Internet
    E-faxing service:

    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have distinct ring, which is a special ring like that used in Europe, two
    > short rings. Regular/standard fax machines have a setting to distinquish
    > this
    > ring.
    >
    > Is there a fax/modem available that will work with Win XP pro so I can
    > recieve fax's like this?
    >
    > I also have a cable modem. Can I use both the cable to fax with and the
    > phone to recieve?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Richard

Fax Modem Microsoft Cable Windows XP