Faxing with smart-ring or distinct ring possible?

Tags:
  • Fax
  • Modem
  • Microsoft
  • Cable
  • Windows XP
August 11, 2004 5:47:01 PM

I have distinct ring, which is a special ring like that used in Europe, two
short rings. Regular/standard fax machines have a setting to distinquish this
ring.

Is there a fax/modem available that will work with Win XP pro so I can
recieve fax's like this?

I also have a cable modem. Can I use both the cable to fax with and the
phone to recieve?

Thanks

Richard

More about : faxing smart ring distinct ring

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 10:17:33 PM

Windows XP does not support Distinctive Ring:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
Distinctive Ring Is Not Supported by Windows 2000 Fax

Some third party hardware devices can provide a work-around:

http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
Emerson Switchboard
http://www.command-comm.com/products.html
ComSwitch®

I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
Ring problem:

http://www.faxtalk.com/
FaxTalk Messenger Pro
www.pigeonline.com
Pigeon Mail n Fax

The ONLY way to use your Cable connection for faxing is to hire an Internet
E-faxing service:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#intern...
Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
http://www.savetz.com/fax/
FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com