Overclock a Duron

G

I have an AMD 650 Duron system that I want to overclock. I have read all the articles about doing it by physically modifying the CPU. Unless it is a last resort, I really don't want to do it that way.
Can't I overclock using the BIOS? If so do I have to change the voltage and the clock multiplier seperately, or is this done with one menu item. I already have an upgraded fan and heatsink. Has anyone done this?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an AMD 650 Duron system that I want to overclock. I have read all the articles about doing it by physically modifying the CPU. Unless it is a last resort, I really don't want to do it that way.
It is the <b>only</b> way unless you have an unlocked CPU (that I doubt it). Actually, it's not hard. All you have to do is connect all L1 bridges (on CPU's surface) by using either #2 pencil or conductive pen.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Depends on whether your motherboard supports multiplier and FSB mods via BIOS and your CPU has to be unlocked from the factory. Some of the early Duron 600's and 650's did come this way. My 600 did. Otherwise, you will have to unlock it yourself.

If your motherboard doesn't support overclocking, at all, then you will have to do all the mods on the chip.

G

It really is easy apurpleangel. I'd say go for the L1 bridges modification. Before unlocking my Duron 600, I had the same concerns. Then I unplugged the Duron and saw the mod is dead easy. A steady hand is the only requirement. Try with a 2B pen before going for a condustive pen. At first I thought regular pencil won't be enough, but suprisingly it is!!!

So, don't worry too much and connect the bridges. I was able to O/C to 750MHz without increasing the core voltage. The most I could get out of is 800MHz, but I end up with unstabilities.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
its unlikely youll get much of an overclock and a stable system overclocking with fsb... a simple bit of pencil lead on the cpu is all you need to reach 1ghz... well that and some decent cooling...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

Thanks for the info. If I have to take the hardware rout, do you just connect all the L1 bridges, or do you have to cut some and select (bridge) others?
Thanks bud
Steve

G

OK, If I have to go that route, which L1 connects do I have to bridge, all of them? Do I do it the way they show on this website? Did you have to increase voltage?
Thanks for the help.
Steve

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The L1 bridges are for unlocking the processor so that speeds can be selected by jumpers on the motherboard or settings in BIOS.

If your motherboard doesn't have any of those options then you will be modifying the L3, L4, L6, and L7 (voltage setting) bridges on the Duron. This alters the default settings of the Duron. You don't have to touch the L1 bridges in this case.

I would say you will be able to overclock a little without increasing the core voltage but to go high you will have to bump it. My Duron 600 runs at 1007mhz with the core voltage set to 1.85v (MBM measures this as 1.91v).

I've never done the chip mod. I don't recall the best way to cut the bridges but once you do you just close them with a conductive pen. I would say that 900mhz is a good bet with a Duron using maximum voltage, 1.85v.

THG has an early article on the procedure. At the end are the bridge settings. Here is the link.

<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/index.html</A>

G

Play with this and you will see....
<A HREF="http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/workshop/socketa/socketa_resistors.html" target="_new"> ..click here</A>

TRENDING THREADS