Upcomming update

From the website on April's upcoming update....

"Characters will now log in with full health and mana after having been
logged out for more than 1 hour."

WOW! I welcome this, but can imagine others may not.... I always wondered
why "camping" didn't allow me to recover at least as quickly as sitting
would.

More about upcomming update

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:58:35 -0700, "Frinka" <drano@spam.dlmcclurenospam.com> wrote:

    >"Characters will now log in with full health and mana after having been
    >logged out for more than 1 hour."

    Oh. My. God.

    I can't believe it! I welcome this change. Me, a stoic supporter of the 'old world,'
    actually looking forward to the latest dumbing-down of our game!

    Best regards,

    Tim ==
    (substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
    _________________

    Seeq Endestroi
    Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

    Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
    http://www.gravewisdom.com

    <d...@spam.dlmcclurenospam.com> wrote:

    > > >"Characters will now log in with full health and mana after having
    been
    > > >logged out for more than 1 hour."
    >
    > > Oh. My. God.
    >
    > > > I can't believe it! I welcome this change. Me, a stoic
    supporter of the 'old world,'
    > > > actually looking forward to the latest dumbing-down of our game!
    >
    > Chill Winston......
    >
    > As if this in any way this would interupt a normal challenge.
    >
    > :o)
    >
    > Kirby

    Agreed, this change makes sense. Go camp somewhere "safe", log into an
    alt, play for an hour or two, go have lunch, run errands, whatever,
    then log back over and viola. More time than it would take to just sit
    and med, but allows for better use of that time.

    This change, however:
    --BEGIN-QUOTE--
    At character select, you will see a new button "Go Home" Which will
    move your character to its home city if it has not logged in for the
    previous 6 hours.
    --END-QUOTE--

    I can see this getting abused all to scrap. Get yourself in some hot
    water or well into some seriously dangerous zone you can't seem to
    manage to get back out of? No problem, just log out, go have dinner,
    watch a movie, run some errands, go to work, get some sleep, whatever,
    log back in, and viola! I guess it's no worse than the old MUD /home,
    but I didn't like that either :)
    --
    Xiphos - At least with some of the old MUDs, using /home meant leaving
    all yourcurrent posessions at the previous location.

    42 wrote in response to Xiphos:
    > > Agreed, this change makes sense. Go camp somewhere "safe", log
    into an
    > > alt, play for an hour or two, go have lunch, run errands, whatever,
    > > then log back over and viola. More time than it would take to just
    sit
    > > and med, but allows for better use of that time.
    >
    > If you are soloing your rogue/warrior/etc and are sitting for 10
    minutes
    > to regain full health between each kill then logging out for an hour
    > between each kill is not going to "skyrocket your xp while minimizing
    > your downtime"
    >
    > Most players will welcome it from the simple perspective of, "I
    logged
    > out immediately after an ldon that ran a little late, and the next
    day
    > when I log in I won't have to spend my first 15 minutes medding.
    >
    > There is a potential for abuse with respect to players who get into a
    > bad situation, are running low health/mana, and then AE mez/root and
    > camp out, wait an hour and then camp in ready to take on the fight...
    > but these people always had the much more efficient "gate" at their
    > disposal.. so its not a big deal.

    Right, so we're in agreement. So either you misread my praise of the
    change as a Good Thing, or I'm misinterpreting your post as a
    misinterpretation of mine, and we're actually all in agreement.

    Camping and regaining health == Good, and About Freaking Time.

    I'm not saying the /home ability will do anything for XP, I'm saying it
    will encourage people to get themselves deeply entrenched in areas they
    really shouldn't have been in the first place, but not have to worry
    about making that all importnt corpse run they might otherwise have had
    to do. I guess for most people still playing, you're all, what, 55+,
    and so there's not many places that fit that bill. But for us
    admittedly few whos mains are still well below that mark... e.g., my 20
    SK fights his way too deep into Paludal, I just camp out for the night,
    log in in the morning and hey, no worries about having to fight my way
    back out! Automagic gate for the Shadowknight! Or any other
    non-caster. I'm sure lots of people will view this as A Good Thing,
    but as a long-time paper-and-dice gamer I view this as a Santifying of
    the computer GM.
    --
    Xiphos - I dislike Santa GM's. Where's the sense of accomplishment?
    Of earning or deserving your fate?

    "Seeq Endestroi" <seeq@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:58:35 -0700, "Frinka"
    <drano@spam.dlmcclurenospam.com> wrote:

    > >"Characters will now log in with full health and mana after having been
    > >logged out for more than 1 hour."
    >
    > Oh. My. God.
    >
    > I can't believe it! I welcome this change. Me, a stoic supporter of the
    'old world,'
    > actually looking forward to the latest dumbing-down of our game!

    Chill Winston......

    As if this in any way this would interupt a normal challenge.

    :o)

    Kirby

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:58:35 -0700, "Frinka"
    <drano@spam.dlmcclurenospam.com> wrote:

    >"Characters will now log in with full health and mana after having been
    >logged out for more than 1 hour."
    >
    >WOW! I welcome this, but can imagine others may not.... I always wondered
    >why "camping" didn't allow me to recover at least as quickly as sitting
    >would.

    I wondered about the lack of this feature for over 6 years.

    Another update that are useful is the ability to move your character
    to home city when not logged in for 24 hours is also useful if you got
    caught in a bad place. ie a named raid levle mob decided to camp near
    you and cut off your only way out and you have no gate spell or potion
    and can't get a hold of anyone to help, just camp out and come back
    the next day.

    The one update I would like to see someday is the one that resulves
    some million or so unfixed bugs. I miss the long boat ride.

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:35:33 -0500, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

    >Another update that are useful is the ability to move your character
    >to home city when not logged in for 24 hours is also useful if you got
    >caught in a bad place.

    Do tell. And if my home city is West Frickin' Freeport, where they hate my guts for
    killing Lucan D'Lere about a zillion times...? Where do I pop when I /home?

    In article <1111948525.197430.147320@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    xiphos@rahul.net says...

    > > As if this in any way this would interupt a normal challenge.
    > >
    > > :o)
    > >
    > > Kirby
    >
    > Agreed, this change makes sense. Go camp somewhere "safe", log into an
    > alt, play for an hour or two, go have lunch, run errands, whatever,
    > then log back over and viola. More time than it would take to just sit
    > and med, but allows for better use of that time.

    If you are soloing your rogue/warrior/etc and are sitting for 10 minutes
    to regain full health between each kill then logging out for an hour
    between each kill is not going to "skyrocket your xp while minimizing
    your downtime"

    Most players will welcome it from the simple perspective of, "I logged
    out immediately after an ldon that ran a little late, and the next day
    when I log in I won't have to spend my first 15 minutes medding.

    There is a potential for abuse with respect to players who get into a
    bad situation, are running low health/mana, and then AE mez/root and
    camp out, wait an hour and then camp in ready to take on the fight...
    but these people always had the much more efficient "gate" at their
    disposal.. so its not a big deal.

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:57:13 -0600 in
    <laid411rh2m6cujtq0bc1701medrlm399p@4ax.com>, Seeq Endestroi
    <seeq@nospam.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

    >On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:58:35 -0700, "Frinka" <drano@spam.dlmcclurenospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Characters will now log in with full health and mana after having been
    >>logged out for more than 1 hour."
    >
    >Oh. My. God.
    >
    >I can't believe it! I welcome this change. Me, a stoic supporter of the 'old world,'
    >actually looking forward to the latest dumbing-down of our game!
    >
    >Best regards,
    >
    >Tim ==
    >(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')

    That's hardly dumbing down--it's consistent with a persistent world.
    Unfortunately, to be even more consistent, spell timers should keep
    running too.

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:42:56 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >That's hardly dumbing down--it's consistent with a persistent world.
    >Unfortunately, to be even more consistent, spell timers should keep
    >running too.

    ACK! Memories! I recall the first time I got a C3, that popped into my head... /ooc Does
    the C3 timer keep running when you /camp ?

    Seeq Endestroi wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:35:33 -0500, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:
    >

    >>Another update that are useful is the ability to move your character
    >>to home city when not logged in for 24 hours is also useful if you got
    >>caught in a bad place.
    >

    > Do tell. And if my home city is West Frickin' Freeport, where they hate my guts for
    > killing Lucan D'Lere about a zillion times...? Where do I pop when I /home?

    Right into his lap. And he'll be sooooo happy to see you. :P

    Tracey
    <who also is KOS in Freeport and keeps forgetting it, making for
    some quick runs for the zone>

    "Tracey" <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in message

    > Seeq Endestroi wrote:
    > > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:35:33 -0500, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Another update that are useful is the ability to move your character
    > >>to home city when not logged in for 24 hours is also useful if you got
    > >>caught in a bad place.
    > >

    > > Do tell. And if my home city is West Frickin' Freeport, where they hate
    my guts for
    > > killing Lucan D'Lere about a zillion times...? Where do I pop when I
    /home?

    > Right into his lap. And he'll be sooooo happy to see you. :P

    Lets put it this way. That's *not* a corrupted Ghoulbane in his pocket.

    --
    Davian - Night Elf Rogue on Bloodhoof
    Dearic - Dwarven Paladin on Bloodhoof

    In article <1111965123.262424.56760@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    xiphos@rahul.net says...
    > 42 wrote in response to Xiphos:
    > > > Agreed, this change makes sense. Go camp somewhere "safe", log
    > into an
    > > > alt, play for an hour or two, go have lunch, run errands, whatever,
    > > > then log back over and viola. More time than it would take to just
    > sit
    > > > and med, but allows for better use of that time.
    > >
    > > If you are soloing your rogue/warrior/etc and are sitting for 10
    > minutes
    > > to regain full health between each kill then logging out for an hour
    > > between each kill is not going to "skyrocket your xp while minimizing
    > > your downtime"
    > >
    > > Most players will welcome it from the simple perspective of, "I
    > logged
    > > out immediately after an ldon that ran a little late, and the next
    > day
    > > when I log in I won't have to spend my first 15 minutes medding.
    > >
    > > There is a potential for abuse with respect to players who get into a
    > > bad situation, are running low health/mana, and then AE mez/root and
    > > camp out, wait an hour and then camp in ready to take on the fight...
    > > but these people always had the much more efficient "gate" at their
    > > disposal.. so its not a big deal.
    >
    > Right, so we're in agreement. So either you misread my praise of the
    > change as a Good Thing, or I'm misinterpreting your post as a
    > misinterpretation of mine, and we're actually all in agreement.

    B) - You are misinterpreting my post as misinterpretation of yours. We
    *are* in agreement. I posted to expand upon what you said not debate it.

    > Camping and regaining health == Good, and About Freaking Time.
    >
    > I'm not saying the /home ability will do anything for XP, I'm saying it
    > will encourage people to get themselves deeply entrenched in areas they
    > really shouldn't have been in the first place, but not have to worry
    > about making that all importnt corpse run they might otherwise have had
    > to do. I guess for most people still playing, you're all, what, 55+,
    > and so there's not many places that fit that bill. But for us
    > admittedly few whos mains are still well below that mark... e.g., my 20
    > SK fights his way too deep into Paludal, I just camp out for the night,
    > log in in the morning and hey, no worries about having to fight my way
    > back out! Automagic gate for the Shadowknight! Or any other
    > non-caster. I'm sure lots of people will view this as A Good Thing,
    > but as a long-time paper-and-dice gamer I view this as a Santifying of
    > the computer GM.
    > --
    > Xiphos - I dislike Santa GM's. Where's the sense of accomplishment?
    > Of earning or deserving your fate?

    Its a balancing act... but if you don't like Santa GMs what do you think
    of the bazaar... where the 70th level ultra rich dump their garbage on
    you... garbage that's still 50 levels out of your reach.

    No self respecting GM would let you walk into town and purchase loot
    that drops of monsters that dragons couldn't touch at a price you can
    afford after only few hours squishing bugs that can't touch you...

    =)

    Seeq Endestroi dit:

    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:35:33 -0500, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:
    >
    > >Another update that are useful is the ability to move your character
    > >to home city when not logged in for 24 hours is also useful if you got
    > >caught in a bad place.
    >
    > Do tell. And if my home city is West Frickin' Freeport, where they hate my guts for
    > killing Lucan D'Lere about a zillion times...? Where do I pop when I /home?

    Well that's your problem for choosing the wrong side in the first place - c'est la vie =p

    --
    Etc.

    L'Empee®
    Live - http://www.empee.org
    Dead - http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?empee
    -----------------------------
    MSN: empee at post dot com
    --------------------------------
    E & OE.

    42 wrote:
    > Its a balancing act... but if you don't like Santa GMs what do you
    think
    > of the bazaar... where the 70th level ultra rich dump their garbage
    on
    > you... garbage that's still 50 levels out of your reach.
    >
    > No self respecting GM would let you walk into town and purchase loot
    > that drops of monsters that dragons couldn't touch at a price you can
    > afford after only few hours squishing bugs that can't touch you...
    >
    > =)

    You make a very good point, and one I've discussed with other MMO
    players outside of online forums. The bazaar itself is not a Santa GM
    environment in and of itself. What makes it a twinky playground has
    more to do with the skewed economy of EverQuest; Sony has seen fit to
    produce more and more twinked out gear available to upper levels with
    every release. Why they are doing this is anyones guess, though I
    suspect it has something to do with the Powers In Charcge's only gaming
    experience being with FPS and maybe the odd hack-n-slash dungeon
    crawler. The reasoning aside, in a well balanced game, the progression
    of quality of goods available would scale smoothly as a character
    progresses, so that any hand-me-downs would be no more than a couple of
    levels higher than would ordinarily be available, and even then in a
    properly managed economy the pricing would keep such items
    prohibitively expensive.

    Instead what we see is a very sharp rise in quality-of-goods available
    at the higher end levels, abruptly obsoleting large chunks of equipment
    which then just get cast aside at blow-out prices. Certainly some
    items go for more appropriate prices, given the rediculous inflation of
    the EverQuest economy, but most people are just looking to clear out
    their inventory. Ultimately, what would a higher-level character use
    the plat for, anyhow? Mobs drop inordinate amounts of plat as level
    increases, gear essentially useless to them can be resold for even more
    in the bazaar, and the only thing I can even think of they'd want to
    spend that money on is maybe a horse or crafting supplies, or the odd
    "Uber Equipment", non of which effectively offset income:outflow
    ratios.

    Now, had the progression been properly meted out, we would not see ANY
    of these twink items going for the low prices they are. Any given item
    would be a well-earned trophy to be kept and cherished, not discarded
    like yesterdays fad. However this also would not readily pander to
    Sony's target audience of the hack-n-slash dungeon crawler who doesn't
    want role-playing, fantasy adventure, or any thing not instantly
    gratifying such as what modern Western society has spoiled us with.
    No, Sony's target audience wants more and better stuff so they can
    strut around and try to out-do the other twinks.

    Having said all that, I do regardless feel there is still the capacity
    for EverQuest to be a good role-playing platform. I, personally,
    rarely use the bazaar, and use no equipment I did not earn myself [save
    a walrus tooth my wife gave me and some belt I accepted in a moment of
    weakness]. Many have tried giving me equipment well beyond my means,
    apparently feeling sorry for my own 'pitiful' equipment as though not
    having the biggest, baddest sword and highest AC armor with stat
    bonuses out the wazoo was some form of impotence.

    The economy of EQ2 is somewhat improved, going back to the 100-base
    instead of the jacked-up 10-base of EQ1, but from what I've seen still
    has many problems. If there was some incentive or means to give cause
    for all levels to have a more balanced income:outflow ratio, like say
    taking damage if you are hungry as in Ultima II and Ultima III and then
    making it so the higher up in level you are, the quantity/quality
    required goes up as well, might go a long way to resolve this. A more
    reasonable NPC vendor pricing of goods would probably do wonders, as
    well (How many plat for that plain sword?!).

    So, to answer your original question, yes, I feel the Bazaar is a
    center of twink gear that most good GM's would never even allow,
    however it is not so much the bazaar's existance that causes this so
    much as a messed up economy that's been broken ever since the game
    first debuted.

    To continue in that line of thought, EverQuest 2 has a better thought
    out economy, but from what I've seen it is still fundamentally flawed
    with oddly priced NPC goods that do not fluctuate appropriately with
    the market, and is doomed to the same crash that EQ1 suffered. Project
    Entropia has an interesting premise in being built around a virtual
    economy, directly tied in to the real-world economy, and as such is
    probably the most stable economy, and best playing environment I've
    tested so far. However, the human-centered sci-fi aspect is no where
    near as appealing as the multi-race fantasy setting. I cannot comment
    on WoW, as I've not yet played it; though I've enjoyed Warcraft since
    Warcraft II, the lack of a playable reptillian race puts me off the MMO
    aspect. City of Heroes is really more of an extended-session FPS than
    RPG, with no real economy I could discern (I'm sure there must be one,
    and I'm sure someone will go through describing it for me, but the game
    just didn't captivate me the way EQ did). Planeshift looks
    interesting, but is still too early in beta to judge how its economy,
    and subsequently it's twinkishness, will develop; that, and you have to
    write a freaking novel about your character before you can even play.

    Umm... I think I kind of lost track of my original thought here...
    bazaar == good idea, bad thing to do in a messed-up economy
    environment. Still a good place to find other items, like foraged
    goods for the non-foraging character, pre-crafted supplies for other
    crafted items, and difficult to find components. Twink-gear aside,
    it's often what the NPC merchants SHOULD be doing.

    The festive doll and commemorative coin are OK, because they're
    celebratory items being made available to everyone for a limited time.
    Celebratory items are an exception to the Santa GM rule: I know many a
    good GM who would happily give out some sort of "Yay!" item like this
    if he managed to keep a game going for six years :D
    --
    Xiphos - Game mechanics-wise, EQ1 is still one of the better MMOs out
    there I've tried. We'll see how I feel about WoW, but I do have to

    Hey, I just found the quote function still floating about on Google
    Groups completely by accident! :D How about that? Anyhow:

    42 wrote:

    > > The festive doll and commemorative coin are OK, because they're
    > > celebratory items being made available to everyone for a limited
    time.

    > This I disagree with.
    >
    > > Celebratory items are an exception to the Santa GM rule: I know
    many a
    > > good GM who would happily give out some sort of "Yay!" item like
    this
    > > if he managed to keep a game going for six years :D
    >
    > In EQ you have X inventory slots to fill. So when you get a new item
    it
    > is almost always a case of being either:
    >
    > <an upgrade displacing existing item, or gratz rot>
    >
    > Now the doll is good enough that for nearly everyone under 60... and
    > large number of people over 60 as well its an upgrade. That makes the

    > doll pretty amazing.
    >
    > The downside is its just used up a slot on all those characters that
    > won't be displaced for a very long time. Thus effectively moving a
    huge
    > chunk of existing content to the gratz rot category.
    >
    > A much better item would have been a ring with 5 charges of Rez
    without
    > rez effects. Its still uber and nearly everyone would want one, but
    it
    > wouldn't really interfere with the game long term. (I'd limit it to
    one
    > per character, like the scavenger hunt).

    You make a good and valid point, and I agree that a limited-use,
    limited acquisition item, such as the XP potion, would have been more
    apropriate and desireable as a gimme. However, while the Festive Doll
    and coin have just ousted a good chunk of otherwise must-have content
    for many characters, they are also only being made available for a few
    weeks. Once they are gone, they're gone (untill the 7th anniversary
    gimme comes around, and the stats for the festive doll and
    commemorative coin change once again), so anyone who missed out, for
    whatever reason, during this time do not get them.

    And it may yet turn out that, like many of last-years free gimme's,
    once the festivities are over the freebie loses all of it's attribute
    bonuses. We'll just have to see. If they keep the stats, then I will
    be in complete agreement with you as regards to them not being a very
    well thought out gimmes.
    --
    Xiphos - And then there are those who are so self-absorbed in their own
    Uberness that they blithly pay upwards of 5K plat for that stupid doll

    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:35:33 -0500, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:
    >
    >>Another update that are useful is the ability to move your character
    >>to home city when not logged in for 24 hours is also useful if you got
    >>caught in a bad place.
    >
    > Do tell. And if my home city is West Frickin' Freeport, where they
    > hate my guts for killing Lucan D'Lere about a zillion times...? Where
    > do I pop when I /home?

    I imagine the same place the origin AA puts you. Generally, they actually
    did seem to have thought that out, and place the location a safe distance
    from any potentially hostile NPCs.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    Faned wrote:
    > I'm always amused by people who discuss things with such familiarity,
    and
    > yet it's obvious from what they say that they don't actually have any
    > firsthand experience whatsoever.

    Oh I never claimed to be intimately familiar with EverQuest. On the
    contrary, I readily admit, and have so repeatedly in other discussion
    threads, that I am quite new to EverQuest. I do, however, have a great
    deal of familiarity with gaming in general, having played such games as
    D&D, AD&D, GURPS, ShadowRun, MechWarrior, EarthDawn, D20, and to a
    lesser extent, RIFTS and MekTon. And though EverQuest has, to date,
    been the truest adaptation of a classic RPG system in FPS MMO I've
    personally seen to date, my observations of the mentioned issues up
    through to and including lvl 43 (highest lvl char I have seen from the
    playing side) hold quite true. It is also my understanding that above
    level 65, many of the games mechanics fall apart, with more than just
    the economy to worry about. However, having no first-hand experience
    with this, I do not feel qualified to comment.

    I will, however, say that the game is more than just level 70.

    > For example...
    >

    > > Mobs drop inordinate amounts of plat as level increases
    >

    > I'd say that, on average, I got more plat-per-mob at level 35 than I
    do at
    > level 70. In fact, 35-45 was pretty much the peak of
    mob-plat-dropping,
    > with mobs dropping several pp each. It hasn't gone up from there,
    and in
    > fact has drastically gone down on average, with entire *expansions*
    worth of
    > mobs not dropping a single copper.

    Indeed. And other items dropped by the mobs, not readily placed into
    your coin-slots, are you telling me these items do not also bring in
    excessive ammounts of coin? If so, then that would be somewhat of a
    reliefe, but would still in no way invalidate my statements in so far
    as my own experience has shown, nor would it readily offset the
    unbalanced coin:level ratio, given how rapidly plat becomes available,
    either through direct coin drops or re-selling of dropped goods to
    venders or other players.

    If, however, these mobs you speak of do drop re-sellable items, and
    these items sell for anything at or more than the 100 to 1K plat/day
    I'm seeing at lvl 43, then I would recommend a course in ecenomics
    before any more rash statements about speaking of things which are not
    known /:)

    No, even if the upper mobs don't drop a single coin or useful, sellable
    item, I fail to see how this invalidates statements about the EQ
    economy being severely broken.

    As a completely off-topic aside, I would just like to say that the
    T'Skrang were the BEST lizardman race EVER, ANYWHERE. :) If only
    because I've never seen T'Skrang and Iksar mentioned in the same
    sentance.
    --
    Xiphos - I mean, really, what are any of these sub-sapient creatures
    doing with any kind of item other than their own body parts?

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:00:31 GMT, Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote:

    >> Do tell. And if my home city is West Frickin' Freeport, where they hate my guts for
    >> killing Lucan D'Lere about a zillion times...? Where do I pop when I /home?
    >
    >Right into his lap. And he'll be sooooo happy to see you. :P

    Then get an invis potion and chug it up right before you camp so when
    you return to home, you'll be invis and have a good chance of making
    out without a fight.

    "Xiphos" <xiphos@rahul.net> writes:
    > So, to answer your original question, yes, I feel the Bazaar is a
    > center of twink gear that most good GM's would never even allow,
    > however it is not so much the bazaar's existance that causes this so
    > much as a messed up economy that's been broken ever since the game
    > first debuted.

    This reminded me of a D&D campaign I played in years ago. The PCs got
    recruited by a goddess for a quest. (Aside: Turned out the goddess
    had her own agenda and was just using us; we should've guessed, since
    she was Chaotic Neutral, as was the GM. :-) As part of the setup, we
    were given several thousand gold each and turned loose in a bazaar
    where ALL non-artifacts in the dungeonmaster's guide were available at
    list price, plus several one-of-a-kind items the GM rolled up at random.
    We got to equip ourselves with whatever equipment we thought was best,
    up to the price limit that had been set.

    First thing that happened in the adventure, we were sailing to our
    destination and fell into a magical sleep. We awoke to find all of
    our gear (magical and otherwise) had been stolen. Over the course of
    the adventure we did manage to recover most of it, but only by
    defeating the NPCs who were using it all against us!

    -- Don.

    -- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
    -- Terrwini, Druid 50 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
    -- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

    In article <1112036982.129129.216040@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    xiphos@rahul.net says...

    <snip> Generally we agree. =)

    > The festive doll and commemorative coin are OK, because they're
    > celebratory items being made available to everyone for a limited time.

    This I disagree with.

    > Celebratory items are an exception to the Santa GM rule: I know many a
    > good GM who would happily give out some sort of "Yay!" item like this
    > if he managed to keep a game going for six years :D

    In EQ you have X inventory slots to fill. So when you get a new item it
    is almost always a case of being either:

    <an upgrade displacing existing item, or gratz rot>

    Now the doll is good enough that for nearly everyone under 60... and a

    Did you say something, "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com>?

    >"Tracey" <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in message

    >> Seeq Endestroi wrote:

    >> > Do tell. And if my home city is West Frickin' Freeport, where they hate
    >my guts for
    >> > killing Lucan D'Lere about a zillion times...? Where do I pop when I
    >/home?
    >>
    >> Right into his lap. And he'll be sooooo happy to see you. :P
    >>

    >Lets put it this way. That's *not* a corrupted Ghoulbane in his pocket.

    Ew.

    Cel
    Retired druids & sundry
    (Slightly available in AO)

    "Celaeno" <celaeno@choklit.nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Did you say something, "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com>?
    >

    > >"Tracey" <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in message

    > >my guts for
    > >/home?
    > >>
    > >> Right into his lap. And he'll be sooooo happy to see you. :P
    > >>

    > >Lets put it this way. That's *not* a corrupted Ghoulbane in his pocket.
    >
    > Ew.
    >

    > Cel
    > Retired druids & sundry
    > (Slightly available in AO)

    Honor to serve, Milady :)

    If you need any more interesting thoughts, you know where to find me.

    --

    Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> writes:
    > Then get an invis potion and chug it up right before you camp so when
    > you return to home, you'll be invis and have a good chance of making
    > out without a fight.

    I must admit I do prefer avoiding fights when I'm making out.

    Or did you mean to say making IT out without a fight? :-) :-)

    <xiphos@rahul.net> wrote:
    > Faned wrote:
    > > I'm always amused by people who discuss things with such familiarity,
    > and
    > > yet it's obvious from what they say that they don't actually have any
    > > firsthand experience whatsoever.
    >
    > Oh I never claimed to be intimately familiar with EverQuest. On the
    > contrary, I readily admit, and have so repeatedly in other discussion
    > threads, that I am quite new to EverQuest. I do, however, have a great
    > deal of familiarity with gaming in general, having played such games as
    > D&D, AD&D, GURPS, ShadowRun, MechWarrior, EarthDawn, D20, and to a
    > lesser extent, RIFTS and MekTon. And though EverQuest has, to date,
    > been the truest adaptation of a classic RPG system in FPS MMO I've
    > personally seen to date, my observations of the mentioned issues up
    > through to and including lvl 43 (highest lvl char I have seen from the
    > playing side) hold quite true. It is also my understanding that above
    > level 65, many of the games mechanics fall apart, with more than just
    > the economy to worry about. However, having no first-hand experience
    > with this, I do not feel qualified to comment.
    >
    > I will, however, say that the game is more than just level 70.

    Of course it is. But if you play the game under 70, you will eventually be
    70, and most people continue to play the game at that point at a static
    level. Using myself as an example, I've been level 70 for a much larger
    portion of the time since it was available than the portion of time I was
    under-70. The same applies for a large portion of the user base for 65, 60
    and 50 in the past.

    To use the most bizarre analogy I can come up with, I got old enough to
    drive, vote, and drink, and I still looked forward to many years of life at
    my static "adult level". =)

    > > For example...
    > >

    > > > Mobs drop inordinate amounts of plat as level increases
    > >

    > > I'd say that, on average, I got more plat-per-mob at level 35 than I
    > do at
    > > level 70. In fact, 35-45 was pretty much the peak of
    > mob-plat-dropping,
    > > with mobs dropping several pp each. It hasn't gone up from there,
    > and in
    > > fact has drastically gone down on average, with entire *expansions*
    > worth of
    > > mobs not dropping a single copper.
    >
    > Indeed. And other items dropped by the mobs, not readily placed into
    > your coin-slots, are you telling me these items do not also bring in
    > excessive ammounts of coin? If so, then that would be somewhat of a
    > reliefe, but would still in no way invalidate my statements in so far
    > as my own experience has shown, nor would it readily offset the
    > unbalanced coin:level ratio, given how rapidly plat becomes available,
    > either through direct coin drops or re-selling of dropped goods to
    > venders or other players.
    >
    > If, however, these mobs you speak of do drop re-sellable items, and
    > these items sell for anything at or more than the 100 to 1K plat/day
    > I'm seeing at lvl 43, then I would recommend a course in ecenomics
    > before any more rash statements about speaking of things which are not
    > known /:)

    The fact is, I look at your "100 to 1k plat/day" and consider that
    reinforcement of what I said (I don't generally get any better unless I am
    consciously trying, which may involve farming mobs intended for lower
    levels).

    > No, even if the upper mobs don't drop a single coin or useful, sellable
    > item, I fail to see how this invalidates statements about the EQ
    > economy being severely broken.

    In fact, many comments about "the EQ economy being severely broken" relate
    to how lower level characters can get higher level items super cheap. I
    know *many* level 70s that stay "broke" (I have millions of pp, but I am the
    exception rather than the rule).

    In article <slrnd4h7l2.2jd.faned@wyld.qx.net>, faned@wyld.qx.net says...
    > <xiphos@rahul.net> wrote:
    > > 42 wrote:
    > > > Its a balancing act... but if you don't like Santa GMs what do you
    > > think
    > > > of the bazaar... where the 70th level ultra rich dump their garbage
    > > on
    > > > you... garbage that's still 50 levels out of your reach.
    > > >
    > > > No self respecting GM would let you walk into town and purchase loot
    > > > that drops of monsters that dragons couldn't touch at a price you can
    > > > afford after only few hours squishing bugs that can't touch you...
    > > >
    > > > =)
    >

    > I'm always amused by people who discuss things with such familiarity, and
    > yet it's obvious from what they say that they don't actually have any
    > firsthand experience whatsoever.
    >
    > For example...
    >

    > > Mobs drop inordinate amounts of plat as level increases
    >

    > I'd say that, on average, I got more plat-per-mob at level 35 than I do at
    > level 70. In fact, 35-45 was pretty much the peak of mob-plat-dropping,
    > with mobs dropping several pp each. It hasn't gone up from there, and in
    > fact has drastically gone down on average, with entire *expansions* worth of
    > mobs not dropping a single copper.

    Nobody made it back to a bank with those copper anyways... =)

    Anyway, while I wasn't the one that said that, its still effectively
    true even if its not literally true. You don't get plat per se, but you
    do see gems and other high level tradeskill items, and can score bazaar
    drops that command 10s of thousands of plat.

    Further, as -your- level increases your ability to farm 35-45 level mobs
    increases... and thus we have 70th level druids camping giants in Rathe
    Mountains.

    <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    > In article <slrnd4h7l2.2jd.faned@wyld.qx.net>, faned@wyld.qx.net says...
    > > <xiphos@rahul.net> wrote:
    > > > think
    > > > on

    > > I'm always amused by people who discuss things with such familiarity, and
    > > yet it's obvious from what they say that they don't actually have any
    > > firsthand experience whatsoever.
    > >
    > > For example...
    > >

    > > > Mobs drop inordinate amounts of plat as level increases
    > >

    > > I'd say that, on average, I got more plat-per-mob at level 35 than I do at
    > > level 70. In fact, 35-45 was pretty much the peak of mob-plat-dropping,
    > > with mobs dropping several pp each. It hasn't gone up from there, and in
    > > fact has drastically gone down on average, with entire *expansions* worth of
    > > mobs not dropping a single copper.
    > >

    > Nobody made it back to a bank with those copper anyways... =)
    >
    > Anyway, while I wasn't the one that said that, its still effectively
    > true even if its not literally true. You don't get plat per se, but you
    > do see gems and other high level tradeskill items, and can score bazaar
    > drops that command 10s of thousands of plat.
    >
    > Further, as -your- level increases your ability to farm 35-45 level mobs
    > increases... and thus we have 70th level druids camping giants in Rathe
    > Mountains.

    That just reinforces what I said. The best cash farms at level 70, assuming
    you don't want to rely on the luck of seeing, and then winning, a nice drop,
    are mobs intended for the 35-45 crowd. =)

    Faned wrote:
    > > I will, however, say that the game is more than just level 70.
    >
    > Of course it is. But if you play the game under 70, you will
    eventually be
    > 70, and most people continue to play the game at that point at a
    static
    > level. Using myself as an example, I've been level 70 for a much
    larger
    > portion of the time since it was available than the portion of time I
    was
    > under-70. The same applies for a large portion of the user base for
    65, 60
    > and 50 in the past.
    >
    > To use the most bizarre analogy I can come up with, I got old enough
    > drive, vote, and drink, and I still looked forward to many years of
    life at
    > my static "adult level". =)

    An interesting analogy. However, I've seen people who XP-grind to get
    to 60+ in the span of a few weeks, yet we age at a constant rate. :)

    Perhaps one of the underlying problems of EverQuest, then, is more a
    function of one of the underlying problems of leve-based RPG's in
    general; there is no real-world analogy for "level."

    It reminds me of a statement someone once said in a gaming group long
    since forgotten; something to the effect of a sufficiently high enough
    level warrior essentially capable of taking a direct shot from a
    nuclear blast and writing it off a a mere scratch.

    By putting a cap on the highest level attainable, Sony avoided one of
    the biggest problems of MUD's (200+ level characters running amok),
    while simultaneously putting a defenite "End" to what's supposed to be
    a dynamic, never-ending game. I expect AA's have helped some (haven't
    reached that point yet), but are still very finite.

    Perhaps a better choice would have been something skill-based, with a
    square-root function on the returns of higher skill levels: you can
    infinitely improve your skills, but would have to have a skill of
    infinity to reach that perfection limit. Make the skill counter a good
    sized unsigned double-double float, and wait for some obsessed
    power-gamer to spend the next several months working on
    overflowing/rolling over the skill counter.

    > The fact is, I look at your "100 to 1k plat/day" and consider that
    > reinforcement of what I said (I don't generally get any better unless
    I am
    > consciously trying, which may involve farming mobs intended for lower
    > levels).

    Thing is, I see a lot of this. At least on Veeshan. Perhaps the
    environment on other servers is different. As I've stated, I'm pretty
    new to the game, and not really familiar with much outside my own
    limited sphere of experience.

    > In fact, many comments about "the EQ economy being severely broken"
    relate
    > to how lower level characters can get higher level items super cheap.
    > know *many* level 70s that stay "broke" (I have millions of pp, but I
    am the
    > exception rather than the rule).

    Then it is even more broken than I had feared.

    As a smaller aside, I may owe you an apology. Many of the posts I see
    from people about level 70 come from the afore-mentioned XP-grinders,
    who really do seem to think only the last few levels are worth playing.
    I had made the rash assumption that you were perhaps one of these
    people, and I apologize.

    XP grinders and power-levelers simultaneously make me sad and
    irritated; they continuously put down and berate the lower-level
    content when they themselves admittedly and intentionally keep
    themselves ignorant of the actual enjoyment of said lower levels. When
    I look back and think about how I used to think delving into Kurns
    Tower was frightening, or having to tread lightly through Highhold...
    these are good memories, ones that the XP grinders and powerlevelers
    would never experience or understand, and it just makes me mad to have
    such memories, and the associated content, belittled as "not really
    part of the game." People saying one cannot truely understand the game
    at lower levels, I often think perhaps the person at the upper level
    either skipped the lower levels entirely, or has forgotten just how
    much can be experienced at the lower levels.

    Or, perhaps I'm of a very small minority that actually likes to get out
    there and experience as much of the game as possible at all levels.
    --
    Xiphos - Perhaps it's time to start a new thread: lowbie nostalgia :)

    Graeme Faelban wrote:
    > Very well put. I thoroughly enjoyed my journey from 1 to 70,
    including
    > exploring most of the zones in the game that do not require
    ludicrously
    > difficult access quests. I still remember quite fondly the times I
    spent
    > in so many different zones on my journey to 70. I would hazard a
    guess
    > that most of the powerlevellers have never even seen 80% of the zones
    in
    > the game. Of course, I'm one of those weird ones that actually liked
    the
    > boats too...

    Oh man, the boats! The boats were great. I didn't have an NVidia when
    the boats were still running, so I never got to see them in glorious
    3D. I feel so deprived.

    Did you know it's almost impossible for an Iksar SK to get to Timorous
    Deep from Kunark? You can't get in good with Firiona Vie (I spent
    weeks killing goblins to get that "You counldn't possibly get any
    better with Firiona Vie" and yet they still scowled at me) you can't
    get in good with the Outpost guys (only faction building thing I've
    found on them requires you already have good faction with them, or
    killing 50+ mobs), and now the DE have both ports with both live and
    undead guards, so it's impossible for me to get anywhere near the
    translocators. I have to go through PoK, trek across to Oasis, and use
    THAT translocator. Sometimes I have to FD immediately on porting in
    'cause some one brought Oowomp over. Didn't have to worry about any of
    this with the boats.

    I almost didn't get to see the boats. I'm glad I did. The boats were
    fantastic. They really need - _*NEED*_ - to get the boats reinstated.

    > --
    > On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
    > Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons
    >
    > On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    > Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
    > Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    --
    Xiphos - 16 Gnome ENC, 16 Hum SK, 23 Wood Elf RNG, 43 Iksar SK

    Waiting a year for EQ2 to mature and stabalize some.

    On 29 Mar 2005 11:14:52 -0800, "Xiphos" <xiphos@rahul.net> wrote:

    >Or, perhaps I'm of a very small minority that actually likes to get out
    >there and experience as much of the game as possible at all levels.

    /salute !!

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:18:27 GMT, Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:

    >> Then get an invis potion and chug it up right before you camp so when
    >> you return to home, you'll be invis and have a good chance of making
    >> out without a fight.
    >
    >I must admit I do prefer avoiding fights when I'm making out.

    Hee hee depends on if the oerson is one of those eye popping jaw
    dropping god-like beauty or a troll =P Personally i would prefer to
    make out with a female Vah Shir.

    >Or did you mean to say making IT out without a fight? :-) :-)

    Yep. *slap forehead for leaving one word out.

    "Xiphos" <xiphos@rahul.net> wrote in news:1112123692.090646.220120
> [...]

    > there and experience as much of the game as possible at all levels.

    Very well put. I thoroughly enjoyed my journey from 1 to 70, including
    exploring most of the zones in the game that do not require ludicrously
    difficult access quests. I still remember quite fondly the times I spent
    in so many different zones on my journey to 70. I would hazard a guess
    that most of the powerlevellers have never even seen 80% of the zones in
    the game. Of course, I'm one of those weird ones that actually liked the
    boats too...

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    Xiphos <xiphos@rahul.net> wrote:
    > fantastic. They really need - _*NEED*_ - to get the boats reinstated.
    I beg to differ. I don't want the Maiden's Voyage reinstated only to see her
    as empty as the newbie zones. It's a glorius boat but suffered a sad fate.
    Let her rest in peace. :)

    Same goes for her siblings though I've found none of them quite as
    astonishing as the MV.

    Hagen

    "Xiphos" <xiphos@rahul.net> wrote in message

    > I almost didn't get to see the boats. I'm glad I did. The boats were
    > fantastic. They really need - _*NEED*_ - to get the boats reinstated.

    Speaking as someone who once had to spend over two hours to take a boat from
    Butcherblock to Freeport... No, they really don't.

    --
    Davian - Night Elf Rogue on Bloodhoof
    Dearic - Dwarven Paladin on Bloodhoof

    The boats were great...yeah i spent hours waiting/being on it, etc,
    even planned meal times for when the boat would be coming to make sure
    i wouldnt miss it.

    I guess that goes with the "immersion"...

    Or does it go with the sickness? lol

    zigipha@hotmail.com wrote in news:1112281298.259228.33710
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > The boats were great...yeah i spent hours waiting/being on it, etc,
    > even planned meal times for when the boat would be coming to make sure
    > i wouldnt miss it.
    >
    > I guess that goes with the "immersion"...
    >
    > Or does it go with the sickness? lol

    All of that is well and good - except that, you have to sit at your
    comp while waiting for the boat to show, and you'd better be sure you
    aren't away from it when you arrive. Add to that how flaky they could
    be and you had a source of huge frustration rather than fun.

    The first time I took a boat I said "wow -cool" the umpteenth time I
    just sighed in boredom.

    --
    Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
    Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw