EQ1 Languages

I have 2 accounts, and often 2 box.
As such, I figure I could easily improve any language skills by talking to
"myself" through each seperate char.

Is this posible?
How?
Can i set up a five line group macro, and then keep hitting a hot key?
How?
Does each char have to be set to the same language?
Does one char remain in common tongue?
Will both chars need to "speak" in order to achieve skill ups, or is
listening sufficient?
Does the "talk" have to be of a set length, ie, will "hello" be sufficient,
or should a char say more...."Hello, how is things in Misty today" or
something longer?

I know this is a long set of questions, but apart from commontongue, I have
never ventured into another language.

Thanks for any advice.

PS. To what benefit will there be gained from speaking multi tongues?
6 answers Last reply
More about languages

    "STORRIDGE" <everhard@ntlworld.comNOspam> writes:
    [...many questions about learning in-game languages omitted...]

    I believe all your questions are answered in the newsgroup FAQ,
    under Q 3.26:

    http://ca.icynic.com/~don/EQ/working/age.faq.htm#Q3.26

    Let me know if there's something not covered there that you wanted
    to know.

    -- Don.

    -- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
    -- Terrwini, Druid 50 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
    -- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

    STORRIDGE wrote:
    > I have 2 accounts, and often 2 box.
    > As such, I figure I could easily improve any language skills by
    talking to
    > "myself" through each seperate char.
    >
    > Is this posible?
    > How?
    > Can i set up a five line group macro, and then keep hitting a hot
    key?
    > How?
    > Does each char have to be set to the same language?
    > Does one char remain in common tongue?
    > Will both chars need to "speak" in order to achieve skill ups, or is
    > listening sufficient?
    > Does the "talk" have to be of a set length, ie, will "hello" be
    sufficient,
    > or should a char say more...."Hello, how is things in Misty today" or

    > something longer?
    >
    > I know this is a long set of questions, but apart from commontongue,
    I have
    > never ventured into another language.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > PS. To what benefit will there be gained from speaking multi tongues?

    Yes.
    Group.
    Yes.
    Should be easy. You got the basic idea.
    No. *
    If you don't change it.
    Depends. **
    Don't know.
    No practical benefit except that some classes normally need to read
    books and such in a language they would not otherwise know, but all the
    relevant information has already been translated into english on
    various web sites.

    * If the speaking character has skill 100 in that language, the other
    group member need only listen.

    ** See previous answer, otherwise a character can only teach language
    up to skill+1 to a listener. If the listener is also teaching the same
    language (spamming the group), then eventually the other will get a
    skill up and this see-saws back and forth until they reach skill 100.

    hidone@hotmail.com writes:
    > > Does the "talk" have to be of a set length, ie, will "hello" be
    > > sufficient, or should a char say more...."Hello, how is things in
    > > Misty today" or something longer?
    >
    > Don't know.

    I realised that this sub-question isn't covered in the FAQ (mainly
    because I don't think it's F enough :-), so I'll add that I'm pretty
    sure it doesn't matter how long the speech is, but traditionally the
    folks who set up hotkeys for this do try to make the speech, um,
    interesting. Often the text is just explaining how the speech is
    intended to improve your language skill. One person I know chose to
    use the five lines to recite a favorite limerick. Me, I like to
    think of the speech as teaching "commonly used phrases", where of
    course the particular phrases depend on which of my characters is
    doing the teaching. Thus my Iksar uses things like,

    "This isn't food! This is what food eats!"
    and
    "How much is that baby in the window?"

    while my Halfling prefers,

    "Is it time for second breakfast yet?"
    and
    "Oo, nice smoke ring!"

    hidone@hotmail.com wrote in news:1112051570.764073.231160
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > STORRIDGE wrote:
    >> I have 2 accounts, and often 2 box.
    >> As such, I figure I could easily improve any language skills by
    >> talking to "myself" through each seperate char.
    >>
    >> Is this posible?
    >> How?
    >> Can i set up a five line group macro, and then keep hitting a hot key?
    >> How?
    >> Does each char have to be set to the same language?
    >> Does one char remain in common tongue?
    >> Will both chars need to "speak" in order to achieve skill ups, or is
    >> listening sufficient?
    >> Does the "talk" have to be of a set length, ie, will "hello" be
    >> sufficient, or should a char say more...."Hello, how is things in
    >> Misty today" or
    >
    >> something longer?
    >>
    >> I know this is a long set of questions, but apart from commontongue, I
    >> have never ventured into another language.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice.
    >>
    >> PS. To what benefit will there be gained from speaking multi tongues?
    >
    > Yes.
    > Group.
    > Yes.
    > Should be easy. You got the basic idea.
    > No. *
    > If you don't change it.
    > Depends. **
    > Don't know.
    > No practical benefit except that some classes normally need to read
    > books and such in a language they would not otherwise know, but all the
    > relevant information has already been translated into english on
    > various web sites.
    >
    > * If the speaking character has skill 100 in that language, the other
    > group member need only listen.
    >
    > ** See previous answer, otherwise a character can only teach language
    > up to skill+1 to a listener. If the listener is also teaching the same
    > language (spamming the group), then eventually the other will get a
    > skill up and this see-saws back and forth until they reach skill 100.

    Having done a language spam session not too long ago, I can report it has
    changed somewhat. If you spam in a language, you now have a chance at
    increasing your own skill, as well as increasing the listeners skill. It
    is however, much faster if you both spam the same language.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    : Having done a language spam session not too long ago, I can report it has
    : changed somewhat. If you spam in a language, you now have a chance at
    : increasing your own skill, as well as increasing the listeners skill. It
    : is however, much faster if you both spam the same language.

    There seem to be some oddities in the language-learning code. I did
    some sessions a few months back to max out my Tainted Heartstone, with
    mixed results.

    Session 1: Group of 5 (or maybe 6), we were camping something boring so
    I started spamming languages during the downtime. I had 1 point in each
    (trainable) language to start. Spamming raised my skill, also raised the
    listeners skill.

    Session 2: I was missing some of the untrainable (to my main) languages so
    I hydraed up some characters who can learn them. Grouped up (group of
    two), started spamming... and hit the "train other person to one greater
    than your current skill" limit. It was too annoying to switch back and
    forth spamming, so I exited the zone with one character, continued to
    spam, and started getting constant skillups on the spammer, and none on
    the listener (in another zone). Very odd.

    Anyway, my preferred method for teaching/learning, assuming you are in a
    group setup not limited to the "one by one" method:
    I use a programmable gamepad, so I assign one button to macro
    "shift-uparrow; enter, repeat". Select a language, say something in /g,
    then hit the macro button. The skillups roll in, and I estimate you can
    max all the languages in less than half an hour. For some reason this
    seems to be faster than using a hot button to say five lines at a time,
    and using the macro to hit that button again and again. Possibly some
    kind of interface lag, who knows. YMMV.

    ObWoot: Finally got my VT key on the weekend, and was lucky to see both
    my Ancient spells drop, completing my Luclin set (and they're actually
    quite usable too). Unfortunately the number of people doing LDoN has
    dropped to zero so I'm unlikely to get all my spells from there now. I
    have better gear, I just want the spells. Can I help it if I'm a
    completist?

    Hugh

    In article <d2bv7b$17l$1@enyo.uwa.edu.au>, hughie-200503@grfb.com
    says...
    > Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    > : Having done a language spam session not too long ago, I can report it has
    > : changed somewhat. If you spam in a language, you now have a chance at
    > : increasing your own skill, as well as increasing the listeners skill. It
    > : is however, much faster if you both spam the same language.
    >
    > There seem to be some oddities in the language-learning code. I did
    > some sessions a few months back to max out my Tainted Heartstone, with
    > mixed results.
    >
    > Session 1: Group of 5 (or maybe 6), we were camping something boring so
    > I started spamming languages during the downtime. I had 1 point in each
    > (trainable) language to start. Spamming raised my skill, also raised the
    > listeners skill.
    >
    > Session 2: I was missing some of the untrainable (to my main) languages so
    > I hydraed up some characters who can learn them. Grouped up (group of
    > two), started spamming... and hit the "train other person to one greater
    > than your current skill" limit. It was too annoying to switch back and
    > forth spamming, so I exited the zone with one character, continued to
    > spam, and started getting constant skillups on the spammer, and none on
    > the listener (in another zone). Very odd.

    I'll confirm the oddities. Sometimes spamming works on yourself
    sometimes you hit the currentskill +1 limit... not sure what the pattern
    is either.

Internet Explorer Video Games