Lexmark Z45 on Windows XP SP2 not being shared properly

Prior to installation of Service Pack 2 (final build) for Windows XP, the
Lexmark Z45 on a Windows XP SP1 computer could be shared just fine with a
system running Windows Me. After installation of SP2, the WinMe system
cannot communicate with the printer. The host system can print to the
Lexmark just fine, however.

The behavior occurs with or without the Windows Firewall being enabled as
well as with the older custom driver or the newer system driver for the
printer installed.
10 answers Last reply
More about lexmark windows shared properly

    Hi,
    Not a serious issue, You do an uninstall on on ME machine and then re-map
    the printer on ME.

    "Bradley Robinson" wrote:

    > Prior to installation of Service Pack 2 (final build) for Windows XP, the
    > Lexmark Z45 on a Windows XP SP1 computer could be shared just fine with a
    > system running Windows Me. After installation of SP2, the WinMe system
    > cannot communicate with the printer. The host system can print to the
    > Lexmark just fine, however.
    >
    > The behavior occurs with or without the Windows Firewall being enabled as
    > well as with the older custom driver or the newer system driver for the
    > printer installed.

    I've tried this multiple times with various configuration differences. The
    last time I tried it with the XP firwall off and rebooted the machine and
    logged back in just to make sure the firewall was definately off. I
    uninstalled the software and drivers from the ME system, rebooted,
    reinstalled the software, and reconfigured the shared printer and then
    rebooted that system. Upon reboot, the Lexmark software is still claiming
    "Communiction Not Available" as well as the cartridges being Invalid.
    Normally, it would retrieve cartridge information from the XP system.
    Attempts at printing result in a "Communication Not Available" dialog from
    the Lexmark software.

    The printer has always shown up as being shared on both ends and file
    sharing sill works without a hitch, but I'm afraid SP2 changed something
    that prevents the Lexmark software from responding to the other system, and
    this may be preventing printing from there.

    "NileshKT" <NileshKT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Not a serious issue, You do an uninstall on on ME machine and then re-map
    > the printer on ME.
    >

    > "Bradley Robinson" wrote:
    >
    >> Prior to installation of Service Pack 2 (final build) for Windows XP, the
    >> Lexmark Z45 on a Windows XP SP1 computer could be shared just fine with a
    >> system running Windows Me. After installation of SP2, the WinMe system
    >> cannot communicate with the printer. The host system can print to the
    >> Lexmark just fine, however.
    >>
    >> The behavior occurs with or without the Windows Firewall being enabled as
    >> well as with the older custom driver or the newer system driver for the
    >> printer installed.

    I have resolved my issue by uninstalling Service Pack 2. As soon as the
    system booted using SP1, the printer began working properly with the ME
    system. Therefore, I must wait for a) a revised SP2 that does not prevent
    sharing of the Lexmark printer or b) Lexmark to update their software/driver
    to resolve the issue. I'm not really holding my breath for either, so I'm
    going to have to stay with SP1 until I either no longer need to share the
    printer or this printer breaks down and I obtain and SP2 compatible one.

    "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    > I've tried this multiple times with various configuration differences. The
    > last time I tried it with the XP firwall off and rebooted the machine and
    > logged back in just to make sure the firewall was definately off. I
    > uninstalled the software and drivers from the ME system, rebooted,
    > reinstalled the software, and reconfigured the shared printer and then
    > rebooted that system. Upon reboot, the Lexmark software is still claiming
    > "Communiction Not Available" as well as the cartridges being Invalid.
    > Normally, it would retrieve cartridge information from the XP system.
    > Attempts at printing result in a "Communication Not Available" dialog from
    > the Lexmark software.
    >
    > The printer has always shown up as being shared on both ends and file
    > sharing sill works without a hitch, but I'm afraid SP2 changed something
    > that prevents the Lexmark software from responding to the other system,
    and
    > this may be preventing printing from there.
    >
    > "NileshKT" <NileshKT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > Not a serious issue, You do an uninstall on on ME machine and then
    re-map
    > > the printer on ME.
    > >

    > > "Bradley Robinson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Prior to installation of Service Pack 2 (final build) for Windows XP,
    the
    > >> Lexmark Z45 on a Windows XP SP1 computer could be shared just fine with
    > >> system running Windows Me. After installation of SP2, the WinMe system
    > >> cannot communicate with the printer. The host system can print to the
    > >> Lexmark just fine, however.
    > >>
    > >> The behavior occurs with or without the Windows Firewall being enabled
    as
    > >> well as with the older custom driver or the newer system driver for the
    > >> printer installed.

    I forwarded this to the print team from Lexmark here on MS campus. They may
    already know of this.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    > I have resolved my issue by uninstalling Service Pack 2. As soon as the
    > system booted using SP1, the printer began working properly with the ME
    > system. Therefore, I must wait for a) a revised SP2 that does not prevent
    > sharing of the Lexmark printer or b) Lexmark to update their
    software/driver
    > to resolve the issue. I'm not really holding my breath for either, so I'm
    > going to have to stay with SP1 until I either no longer need to share the
    > printer or this printer breaks down and I obtain and SP2 compatible one.
    >
    > "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    > > I've tried this multiple times with various configuration differences.
    The
    > > last time I tried it with the XP firwall off and rebooted the machine
    and
    > > logged back in just to make sure the firewall was definately off. I
    > > uninstalled the software and drivers from the ME system, rebooted,
    > > reinstalled the software, and reconfigured the shared printer and then
    > > rebooted that system. Upon reboot, the Lexmark software is still
    claiming
    > > "Communiction Not Available" as well as the cartridges being Invalid.
    > > Normally, it would retrieve cartridge information from the XP system.
    > > Attempts at printing result in a "Communication Not Available" dialog
    from
    > > the Lexmark software.
    > >
    > > The printer has always shown up as being shared on both ends and file
    > > sharing sill works without a hitch, but I'm afraid SP2 changed something
    > > that prevents the Lexmark software from responding to the other system,
    > and
    > > this may be preventing printing from there.
    > >
    > > "NileshKT" <NileshKT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > Not a serious issue, You do an uninstall on on ME machine and then
    > re-map
    > > > the printer on ME.

    > the

    > as

    Lexmark tech-support has informed me (quite to my surprise) that printing
    from Win98/Me to Win2000/XP is not supported due to the use of different
    operating system dependant data streams. The fact that it would work fine in
    SP1 before SP2 and after reverting back to SP1 must be some miracle.

    They suggested I buy a network adapter that costs more than a brand-new
    printer ;)

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I forwarded this to the print team from Lexmark here on MS campus. They
    >may
    > already know of this.
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > rights.
    >
    > "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    >> I have resolved my issue by uninstalling Service Pack 2. As soon as the
    >> system booted using SP1, the printer began working properly with the ME
    >> system. Therefore, I must wait for a) a revised SP2 that does not prevent
    >> sharing of the Lexmark printer or b) Lexmark to update their
    > software/driver
    >> to resolve the issue. I'm not really holding my breath for either, so I'm
    >> going to have to stay with SP1 until I either no longer need to share the
    >> printer or this printer breaks down and I obtain and SP2 compatible one.
    >>
    >> "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    >> > I've tried this multiple times with various configuration differences.
    > The
    >> > last time I tried it with the XP firwall off and rebooted the machine
    > and
    >> > logged back in just to make sure the firewall was definately off. I
    >> > uninstalled the software and drivers from the ME system, rebooted,
    >> > reinstalled the software, and reconfigured the shared printer and then
    >> > rebooted that system. Upon reboot, the Lexmark software is still
    > claiming
    >> > "Communiction Not Available" as well as the cartridges being Invalid.
    >> > Normally, it would retrieve cartridge information from the XP system.
    >> > Attempts at printing result in a "Communication Not Available" dialog
    > from
    >> > the Lexmark software.
    >> >
    >> > The printer has always shown up as being shared on both ends and file
    >> > sharing sill works without a hitch, but I'm afraid SP2 changed
    >> > something
    >> > that prevents the Lexmark software from responding to the other system,
    >> and
    >> > this may be preventing printing from there.
    >> >
    >> > "NileshKT" <NileshKT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> re-map

    >> the
    > with
    > system

    > enabled
    >> as
    > the

    do not drink the kool-aid.

    The print devs here tracked this down and the Lexmark devs also worked on
    this. More info coming soon with an update.

    Bradley I will contact you directly.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    > Lexmark tech-support has informed me (quite to my surprise) that printing
    > from Win98/Me to Win2000/XP is not supported due to the use of different
    > operating system dependant data streams. The fact that it would work fine
    in
    > SP1 before SP2 and after reverting back to SP1 must be some miracle.
    >
    > They suggested I buy a network adapter that costs more than a brand-new
    > printer ;)
    >
    > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I forwarded this to the print team from Lexmark here on MS campus. They
    > >may
    > > already know of this.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    > > rights.
    > >
    > > "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    > >> I have resolved my issue by uninstalling Service Pack 2. As soon as the
    > >> system booted using SP1, the printer began working properly with the ME
    > >> system. Therefore, I must wait for a) a revised SP2 that does not
    prevent
    > >> sharing of the Lexmark printer or b) Lexmark to update their
    > > software/driver
    > >> to resolve the issue. I'm not really holding my breath for either, so
    I'm
    > >> going to have to stay with SP1 until I either no longer need to share t
    he
    > >> printer or this printer breaks down and I obtain and SP2 compatible
    one.

    > >> "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    > > The
    > > and
    > > claiming
    > > from

    > >> and

    > >> re-map

    > >> the
    > > with
    > > system

    > > enabled
    > >> as
    > > the

    Alan,

    I have exactly the same problem as described by Bradley except with a
    Lexmark X5150. Do you have any new information on this issue since
    your last posting? The Lexmark tech support has been no help to me at
    all.

    Thanks,
    Eric Heeke

    "Alan Morris\(MSFT\)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<uXuBvlghEHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > do not drink the kool-aid.
    >
    > The print devs here tracked this down and the Lexmark devs also worked on
    > this. More info coming soon with an update.
    >
    > Bradley I will contact you directly.
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    > > Lexmark tech-support has informed me (quite to my surprise) that printing
    > > from Win98/Me to Win2000/XP is not supported due to the use of different
    > > operating system dependant data streams. The fact that it would work fine
    > in
    > > SP1 before SP2 and after reverting back to SP1 must be some miracle.
    > >
    > > They suggested I buy a network adapter that costs more than a brand-new
    > > printer ;)
    > >
    > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I forwarded this to the print team from Lexmark here on MS campus. They
    > > >may
    > > > already know of this.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Alan Morris
    > > > Windows Printing Team
    > > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    > > > rights.
    > > >
    > > > "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    > prevent
    > software/driver
    > I'm
    > he
    > one.

    > differences.
    > The
    > and
    > then
    > claiming
    > from

    > system,
    > and

    > re-map

    > the
    > with
    > system

    > enabled
    > as
    > for
    > the

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I have not been following this. I'll ping the Lexmark team here and get
    back to you.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Eric Heeke" <eheeke@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Alan,
    >
    > I have exactly the same problem as described by Bradley except with a
    > Lexmark X5150. Do you have any new information on this issue since
    > your last posting? The Lexmark tech support has been no help to me at
    > all.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric Heeke
    >

    > "Alan Morris\(MSFT\)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > do not drink the kool-aid.
    > >
    > > The print devs here tracked this down and the Lexmark devs also worked
    on
    > > this. More info coming soon with an update.
    > >
    > > Bradley I will contact you directly.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    rights.

    > > "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    > > > Lexmark tech-support has informed me (quite to my surprise) that
    printing
    > > > from Win98/Me to Win2000/XP is not supported due to the use of
    different
    > > > operating system dependant data streams. The fact that it would work
    fine
    > > in
    > > > SP1 before SP2 and after reverting back to SP1 must be some miracle.
    > > >
    > > > They suggested I buy a network adapter that costs more than a
    brand-new
    > > > printer ;)
    > > >
    > > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    They

    > > prevent
    > > software/driver
    > > I'm
    > > he
    > > one.

    > > differences.
    > > The
    > > and
    > > then
    > > claiming
    Invalid.
    > > from

    > > system,
    > > and

    > > re-map

    Windows
    > > the
    > > with
    WinMe
    > > system

    > > enabled
    > > as
    > > for
    > > the

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I got some data from Lexmark. They are still investigating this but they
    have a solution. Let us know if this solution works for you.

    When we apply Service Pack 2 to a Windows XP machine, peer-to-peer
    printing no longer functions correctly. We notice that our DCOM
    application (which runs as a service) gets launched, but the remote
    client gets an 'access denied' error (5) when it tries to use the
    interface. We did some investigation with DCOMCNFG and noticed that we
    were able to print when the machine-wide settings were modified as
    follows:
    DCOMCNFG- > 'Configure my Computer' button -> COM Security -> 'Access
    Permissions' Edit Limits -> 'Remote Access' for Everyone=checked.

    Prior to the change, the allow and deny settings for Remote Access were
    blank, which we understood to mean that the application's settings were
    to be used. This leads us to our question: From a DCOM point of view,
    what is the exact meaning of the new 'Security Limits' part of DCOMCNFG
    and what does it mean if a particular field is blank (that is, neither
    Allow or Deny is checked)?

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Eric Heeke" <eheeke@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Alan,
    >
    > I have exactly the same problem as described by Bradley except with a
    > Lexmark X5150. Do you have any new information on this issue since
    > your last posting? The Lexmark tech support has been no help to me at
    > all.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric Heeke
    >

    > "Alan Morris\(MSFT\)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > do not drink the kool-aid.
    > >
    > > The print devs here tracked this down and the Lexmark devs also worked
    on
    > > this. More info coming soon with an update.
    > >
    > > Bradley I will contact you directly.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    rights.

    > > "Bradley Robinson" <brobinson@cesp.ambridge.net> wrote in message
    > > > Lexmark tech-support has informed me (quite to my surprise) that
    printing
    > > > from Win98/Me to Win2000/XP is not supported due to the use of
    different
    > > > operating system dependant data streams. The fact that it would work
    fine
    > > in
    > > > SP1 before SP2 and after reverting back to SP1 must be some miracle.
    > > >
    > > > They suggested I buy a network adapter that costs more than a
    brand-new
    > > > printer ;)
    > > >
    > > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    They

    > > prevent
    > > software/driver
    > > I'm
    > > he
    > > one.

    > > differences.
    > > The
    > > and
    > > then
    > > claiming
    Invalid.
    > > from

    > > system,
    > > and

    > > re-map

    Windows
    > > the
    > > with
    WinMe
    > > system

    > > enabled
    > > as
    > > for
    > > the

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Using DCOMCNFG I found the settings listed in the Lexmark info.
    Contrary to their find, I found that the 'Remote Access' setting for
    'Everyone' was already checked to 'Allow' on my XP PC. There was a
    similar setting for 'Anonymous Logon' for which I did check the
    'Allow' local and remote access. Even with all 'Allow' boxes check,
    my remote computer could not communicate with the printer on the XP
    machine. (I did reboot between each setting change to ensure that the
    setting was in place.)

    I even tried one test with all of the 'Allow' and 'Deny' boxes left
    unchecked, but that did help either.

    Thanks for the attempt. I'm ready to test anything else that they may
    suggest.

    Eric

Lexmark Windows XP