HSF and the Golden Socket.

G

I'm about ready to start assembling my new system using Asus A7M266 and Athlon 1.4Gig. Since I want to start dabbling in o/cing, I've also gotten a SwifTech MC-462 and a Dragon Orb 3 to play around with. I've also gotten a Golden Socket, which is a socket A add-on to allow changes in multiplier settings using dip switches instead of having to resort to the "pencil trick". Adding the golden socket doubles the height of the socket A on the motherboard. So, I was wondering, has anybody tried the MC-462 with that socket add-on? I was noticing that the bolts to connect the HEAVY MC-462 are mounted on springs on the heatsink and there is some discussion in the directions for the MC-462 about tightening those bolts just right to avoid too much pressure on the CPU core. Is the added socket height going to significantly interfere with attaching the MC-462 to the socket/cpu?

Also, the Dragon Orb 3 attaches with clips. The Dragon Orb 3 is also fairly heavy, but not so much as the MC-462. Anyone forsee a problem with the weight of the Dragon Orb 3 on an extended height socket A from the Golden Socket?

Prowler

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
Not sure but I think chances are that your 1.4GHz will be "unlocked" and you won't need the golden socket.

Anyway, make sure to post your temps for comparison

Good luck with your new system

"Before you give someone a piece of your mind make sure you can get by with what you have left"

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the a7m266 dosen't have multipler switch on it or in the bois that the reason he go it

i would try to find some screws the same size but longer to be able to make it work

hjust take one to the local hardware store and see if they can match the size

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

Kalzone

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Are you sure, wapaaga? Last time I checked it had both multiplier jumper or jumperless (BIOS) controlled settings. Not only the multiplier, but the voltage settins as well. Now if he's planning on going beyond the voltages/multiplier settings that are preset then I'd agree with your statement.

G

The 1.4Gig is unlocked. However, wapaaga is entirely correct. The A7M266 does not let you change multiplier settings either in BIOS or via jumpers. I think what you meant was FSB. The FSB settings can be changed via BIOS or jumpers as well as voltage settings. But the multiplier cannot be changed. I'm looking at the board right now, so I'm certain of this. <G>

I had actually considered the idea of getting longer bolts, you've just verified for me that is a good idea. :)

Regards,

Prowler

G

It would be interesting to hear how you go with that golden socket.

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the century!</font color=blue>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you can afford both the dragon orb and the swiftech just to play around with... i think you can afford to crush a cpu or 2... though id recommend getting a cheapo duron and testing out the heat sinks on that first before attempting to crush the 1.4

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

I still haven't received my DDR memory in the mail, so I haven't been able to fire up the system yet. A couple of problems I can see already with the golden socket. First, it covers up the thermistor in the center of the Socket A so I'm not going to be able to get an accurate temp reading for the CPU from that. Looks like I'll have to get another thermal monitor of some kind. Second, the socket height increase does prevent the proper installation of the SwifTech MC-462. Looks like if I want to use the Swifty with the golden socket, I'm going to have to get longer bolts to secure it to the mainboard. I haven't tried to fit the Dragon Orb 3 to the golden socket, so I don't know what problems might arise with that yet.

Once I get everything fired up and working, I'll post some numbers to compare the Swifty with the Dragon Orb and also any impressions on how the golden socket performs. May take me a while to get there, though. :)

Regards,

Prowler